Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
someone may come up with a patch/work around that can be flashed in AP fastboot
or some one will post link to official jellybean xml file

till one of those 2 happen you can not reflash in sp fastboot

you can try wiping data in recovery, may fix problems

jmagi

Dec 13, 2012
k thanks. clears up my understanding. it's kind of lame that i cant go back to ics at all if i wanted to tho. android should work on that. same as i can install windows 98 on my current pc etc. but i guess no big deal. it works fine. i just miss some of my apps that dont work on jb as they used to on ics.

think we might get a key lime pie update with backward compatibility for apps? haha i know that is a big wish. would probably require multikernels or something.

Sent from my DROID4 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

BPMOmega

Aug 25, 2010
Yes
Motorola Droid 4
Moto X
The reason why you can't go back to ICS from JB is due to the locked bootloader. The kernel has been updated, as well. We would need an unlocked bootloader in order to install an older kernel to install an older version of Android on the device. At least, that's my understanding of the situation.

Unfortunately, Verizon hates the developer scene more than any other carrier, so don't expect for this to change any time soon (unless someone figures out how to unlock the bootloader without Verizon or Motorola's assistance).

Sent from my DROID4 using xda premium

marlow925

Sep 3, 2012
Athlone
Yay !!

Success !!

- removed safestrap (in the safestrap app, no need to uninstall the safestrap app itself)
- rebooted
- told SuperSU, that I wanted to unroot
- rebooted
- uninstalled busybox
- rebooted
- downloaded OTA upgrade and completed.

Everything works. This is brilliant.

/M

jmagi

Dec 13, 2012
^^ yeah it's nice isnt it. Droid 4 kicks royal butt. first time ive spent this much on a phone and i feel like it's money well spent. no samsung note 2 or s4 could give this satisfaction.. screen size and a hardware keyboard pwns all!

vajazzles

Sep 28, 2012
Success !!

- removed safestrap (in the safestrap app, no need to uninstall the safestrap app itself)
- rebooted
- told SuperSU, that I wanted to unroot
- rebooted
- uninstalled busybox
- rebooted
- downloaded OTA upgrade and completed.

Everything works. This is brilliant.

/M
mine is rooted using the zip method in the sticky in this forum. its pulling the ota update now without a way to cancel it. i did have the option 'install later' so its halted for now.

do i definitely need to unroot?

why did the ota pull if im rooted? never could get ota with my d2

is there a different root process for jb? i had planned to wait for that to be documented before updating.

marlow925

Sep 3, 2012
Athlone
mine is rooted using the zip method in the sticky in this forum. its pulling the ota update now without a way to cancel it. i did have the option 'install later' so its halted for now.

do i definitely need to unroot?

why did the ota pull if im rooted? never could get ota with my d2

is there a different root process for jb? i had planned to wait for that to be documented before updating.

After it's finished pulling the upgrade, you don't have to install it. You're given a choice.

It doesn't know, that the phone is root'ed, until it tries to upgrade.

/M

vajazzles

Sep 28, 2012
well ive had a fun morning so far. i tried removing superuser to install supersu and follow your steps. in the supersu thread it was reported superuser can be uninstalled and supersu installed instead; this did not work for me, supersu could not install the su binary.

while i had no root, i tried the rest of the steps you described and the update went red triangle. rebooted fine to ics so i didnt try it again.

so i have superuser installed again, verified root with adfree & titanium. i did uninstall busybox as you described, but everything is working for now and thats a simple reinstall anyway.

considering i just went from a froyo phone with a buggy rom (that became a lot more reliable than it was from the start) to now an ics phone, this is plenty upgraded for me. i wouldnt mind jb but i dont know of any killer feature and so far its not worth the hassle.

since ive regained root maybe ill wait for a good solid rooted rom with jb. until then will the phone attempt to install the update without my interaction? i hope not. anyway thanks for the help dont want to completely hijack the thread.

jmagi

Dec 13, 2012
one small addition which is somehow a big deal for me is the new subcategorized status bar. i can expand my email notification to see the top unread emails and decide if i even want to open gmail to respond to them. it shows full subject and sender and works to be expanded and collapsed or swiped off screen. like i said, it's small, but i really like it.

fonts took a little getting used to but once i was happy everything worked fine it didnt bother me that much and i got used to it. major issue is that lbe privacy doesnt work anymore. i cud go back to ics just for that as each day passes i miss it more and more. i grew to depend on it for control and data usage monitoring. putting the info in the status bar was just brilliant use of the sb and im yet to find an alternative that works far less even get near lbe's user friendliness.

marlow925

Sep 3, 2012
Athlone
since ive regained root maybe ill wait for a good solid rooted rom with jb. until then will the phone attempt to install the update without my interaction? i hope not. anyway thanks for the help dont want to completely hijack the thread.

Root on Droid 4 is already in place, as the Razr got the update to JB a few weeks ahead. Same procedure applies to the Droid 4.

JB is a lot quicker and smoother, so that upgrade really is worth it.

/M

Reactions: Tidder

bryanjohnson

Dec 8, 2010
When I installed the update, my device was rooted. JB took the root away and I tried to run Foxfi. Its says wifi tether is blocked by JB 4.1 or higher. Can someone point me in the right direction to root a Droid 4 with JB?

Sent from my DROID4 using xda app-developers app

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor / XDA Welcome Team
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Root on Droid 4 is already in place, as the Razr got the update to JB a few weeks ahead. Same procedure applies to the Droid 4.

JB is a lot quicker and smoother, so that upgrade really is worth it.

/M