'Energy' ROM/XDA_UC - User to user tips and tricks!

Search This thread

faysal_u

Jan 7, 2009
My htc is not upgrade to wm6.5

i connect my ppc with active synic and start setup the my phone go to boot loader mode but when i press upgrade button on pc programe it starts and remain at 0% and after 15 to 20 min messge come their is a connection error???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????any one help me???:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

billybag

May 18, 2010
I read through this thread in order to get Copy2Root, or an equivalent to work in Nrgrom/XDA_UC and mentioned a few times was the task of quickly restoring CHT Settings. I was wondering the same thing but figured it would be a matter of launching an exported .ink file once during xda settings exporting.

But i noticed in http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=6351605&postcount=58 that their is a .dat file that can be loaded instead?

where can i find this file?
and can i have it launch through PIM restore instead?

thanks.

JVH3

Retired Recognized Developer
Nov 24, 2008
Minneapolis
www.twitter.com
I read through this thread in order to get Copy2Root, or an equivalent to work in Nrgrom/XDA_UC and mentioned a few times was the task of quickly restoring CHT Settings. I was wondering the same thing but figured it would be a matter of launching an exported .ink file once during xda settings exporting.

But i noticed in http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=6351605&postcount=58 that their is a .dat file that can be loaded instead?

where can i find this file?
and can i have it launch through PIM restore instead?

thanks.

Most Cookie settings are registry settings.
When you have Cookie configured y=how you like, use the CHTEditor to export your settings.
On home screen -> Menu -> CHTEditor
Then in the CHTEditor -> Menu -> Export settings
Pick a location. follow on screen instructions.

Then after XDA_UC completes, restore the Coookie settings.
export your settings.
On home screen -> Menu -> CHTEditor
Then in the CHTEditor -> Menu -> Import settings
Pick a location. follow on screen instructions.

Cookie settings don't restore well through XDA_UC before first restoring contacts. Actually, I should verify this, with the next flash. It used to be a problem with the contact quicklinks, but I wrote an app to fix that sync.

There is an mscr file put in a zip in this thread, that will import your cookie export.

I think I posted it at least once, so you can search the thread for posts by me to make it so you have less posts to read.

derrickadams

Sep 9, 2010
Michigan City
Thanks

Thanks to all for starting this thread and for all the great information. I decided I should finally make use of the XDA_UC tool.

I have been able to get everything automated from Configuring Wifi, Exchange /w Activesyc, all my Cabs, Settings (With Exporter), Copy2Root to move files, and keep my Stock listings.

I'm posting a couple registry settings below that were important to me to have.
The big one for me is having the phone not prompt to save a contact and disable the vibrate option when it connects.

If you want those settings modified they can be found below:
Items ending with 0 = Disabled , 1 = Enabled

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\HTC\PHONE\PhoneExtendSetting]
"AddNumber"=dword:00000000 -- Prompts for Adding Contact
"ConnectingVibration"=dword:00000000 -- Vibrates Phone
"StylusOpenNote"=dword:00000000 -- Open Notes if Stylus is Pulled out during call
"RejectEnable"=dword:00000000 -- Enable Reject Caller with Message

Last edited:
Reactions: cajunflavoredbob

cajunflavoredbob

May 1, 2010
Your Basement
Thanks to all for starting this thread and for all the great information. I decided I should finally make use of the XDA_UC tool.

I have been able to get everything automated from Configuring Wifi, Exchange /w Activesyc, all my Cabs, Settings (With Exporter), Copy2Root to move files, and keep my Stock listings.

I'm posting a couple registry settings below that were important to me to have.
The big one for me is having the phone not prompt to save a contact and disable the vibrate option when it connects.

If you want those settings modified they can be found below:
Items ending with 0 = Disabled , 1 = Enabled

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\HTC\PHONE\PhoneExtendSetting]
"AddNumber"=dword:00000000 -- Prompts for Adding Contact
"ConnectingVibration"=dword:00000000 -- Vibrates Phone
"StylusOpenNote"=dword:00000000 -- Open Notes if Stylus is Pulled out during call
"RejectEnable"=dword:00000000 -- Enable Reject Caller with Message

I didn't even know that pulling out the stylus would open the notepad. That's a pretty handy feature for me. Thanks for pointing it out.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    XDA_UC Very basic tutorial

What is XDA_UC?
    XDA_UC installs and configures your phone, without the need to manually configure things after XDA_UC is set up.

Prefix:
    All files must be saved as Unicode, unless otherwise stated.
    That means no ASCII, UTF-8, or Unicode-Big Endian
    All file edits should be done with notepad, since it will not inject any formatting.
    In notepad, Save As has the file type option at the bottom of the dialog.

Step 1: Identify cab and cer files that you always install.
    JVH3 Cabs installed by XDA_UC said:
    company_root_cer.cer
    FF Ultimate aGPS Tweak_supl.nokia_generic.cab
    Microsoft_Voice_Command_v1.6.23562_NoSetup.cab
    JVH3_WeatherCityEditor_v3.5.CAB
    RhodiumKbdControl_GSM.CAB
    Digicast Solutions' Snooze Options.cab

Copy these to you XDA_UC folder.

This will save you the steps of manually installing these cabs. But you will still need to configure them, if you stop here.

2. Configure you settings to auto import.

You will want to become familiar with the registry.

I use 3 methods for backing up sections of the regsitry that do not require installing anything on your phone.
    A. Total Commander - plugins\registry
    Navigate to a regsitry section. Then press and hold the stylus. Select Copy/Move
    Paste this to a folder on your storage card.

B. RegEdit - Start->Tools->Registry Editor
    Navigate to a regsiry section. Then use the stylus and tab the left most botton on the bottom of the screen that has a lightning bolt on a blank folder. Select Export. Pick where to save it.

C. ASTools - this is run from your PC.
    Create a folder on your storage card called reg_dump
    C:\Program Files\ASTools>prun.exe dottaskmgr /regxpkey \Storage Card\reg_dump\HKLM1.reg [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE]

Before installing anything, do a full dump of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and HKEY_CURRENT_USER.

Install your apps. Configure them.

After installing and configuring, do a full export (dump) of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and HKEY_CURRENT_USER.

Download a tool to compare differences. I use WinMerge by source forge.
    http://winmerge.org/

It is an excellent tool. Beyond Compare and Araxis are also good tools. It is very easy to figure out.

Copy the before dumps to 1 folder on your PC. Copy the after dumps to another folder on your PC.

If you name the files the same, such as HKLM.reg and HKCU.reg, then you can compare folders.

Now search for cahgnes that appear relavant.

3. Not all settings are stored in the registry
    Custom Weather cities are stored in a manila file. If you use the app, that I wrote, you can back up 2330fc3c_manila. You can also manually copy this from your windows folder.
    Any files that need to be restored to the Windows folder, put in \XDA_UC\Sense

Stocks are strored at Aplication Data\HTC\ygo\ygoservices.db
    You will need to use some mort script to copy this.
    Save the file outside the xda_uc such as storage card\RhodiumSettings

5. To restore your Cookie Home Tab
    This can be done with mortscript, but you firs must backup your settings in the Cookie Home Tab Editor.

To import, you must first set the version with a reg file with contents of
    Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\HTC\Manila]
    "Co0kie.HomeVersion"="1.8.5"

Then create a mscr file with contents as this:
    Run("\Program Files\CHTEditor\CHTEditor.exe", """\Storage Card\Rhodium\CookieTilt2Aug4.cht""")

6. For many settings, the registry settings locations are known
    No need to to a full dump and compare for those. Just use Total Commander to copy the reg directly to your XDA_UC folder.

7. Rhodium Energy ROMs require provisioning for AT&T and T-Mobile
    For AT&T, the file energy_att.cab is in the windows folder.
    Copy it to your XDA_UC folder, if you use AT&T.
    There is a similar file for T-Mobile.

8. Use the Energy ROM Exportor
    This will generate many reg files for you, so you can restore things like bluetooth. Just stick the reg files into the XDA_UC folder.

9. Email and Wifi require XML provisioning files.
    Use Makisu to generate xml files for these.
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=6491348&postcount=144
    Then, just stick the xml files in your XDA_UC folder.

10. You've installed things from Marketplace, and find it annoying to redownload everything.
    Well, I probably should not tell you exactly how to get around this.
    But, it is pretty easy to figure out what got installed.
    Brute Force: Dump the reg before installing. Dump it after. Look at Program Files and Application Data and new files in the Windows Folder and Windows\Start Menu\Programs and Windows\StartUp
    If you look in at Application data\Volatile, you can figure some stuff out. Go there right after installing.
    Also, look in HKLM\Security\AppInstall
    And Windows\AppManager
    I've made a cab for Glympse and WinFourSquare.
    WinCECabMgr is a great program for making and modifying cabs. It's about $100. There is a 30 day free trial though.
    I normally use Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Professional, which I own legally.
    You can also make them with Visual Studio 2005 Standard (I think).

You don't actually need a cab to install apps though. You can just put all the files on your storage card and use an mscr file to copy everything where you need it to be. And then use a reg file to create the registry entries.

Summary / Conclusion
    XDA_UC greatly simpliefies the configuration process. Once you know where settings are kept, it is just a matter of creating the correct file to implement it.

If anything is missed, please post and I may add it.

Especially the basic steps. I think all advanced users already know most of this.

I will also add more detail when I have more time.
    I recently noticed that I've only got a short list of things not set up in XDA_UC to run automagically. Perhaps some of you guys can help me out with this. First up is how to set up the CSM by default. I thought I had it right, but going into the Change Start Menu program shows that it is still using the normal start menu instead, and I'm missing quite a bit of RAM even though the hardware button and Windows soft key both pull up CSM.

How do I enable a change in font size in the Settings Tab > Personalize > Font? I normally have it set one notch left of center.

Settings tab > Locale & Text > Text Input. I'd like to have all of the options toggled on.

Start > Settings > Personal > Voice Command. Under Notifications, I want "Only during free time" unchecked. Also for Messaging Options I want "High priority messages only" unchecked. For Phone Options, I want "Announce incoming calls" to be checked.

Start > Settings > Personal > Phone . NRG recently disabled the short tones on the phone keyboard. I'd like the short tones on.

Start > Settings > Connections > Wifi. I like to have "Best Wi-Fi Performance" toggled on.

Settings Tab > Data Services > Internet time synchronization. I like to have "Get time from the internet" checked.

The Facebook tab authorization isn't working between ROMs anymore like the Twitter tab. Has anyone gotten it to work without issue lately?

What is the mortscript command to move a directory (folder) from one location to another. S2U2 and OCT both drop folders into \Windows\Start Menu\Programs that I want to move to \Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Tools

I think that about covers it. With this solved, I'll only have to sync with exchange for emails, calender, and contacts and MyPhone for texts.

there is no "easy way to do this" I suggest doing a hard reset, the doing a full reg export using sktools, or you can do this with sashimi or my sashimi4xda_uc backup tool (see sig), then change all those settings to your preferred setting, then do another full reg export, then use a program called "windiff" or similar that can compare the two registry exports and show you only the differences that were made...
    I figured as much. Thanks anyway, guys. I'll just try this later tonight and post results if I can.

I actually did a full dump of HKLM and HKCU last night to find some of this for you.

But, as HKLM was dumping, I fell a sleep. I can probably find them tonight.

As far as the voice command settings.

have you looked at HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Voice Command
    Then look at the subkeys: extensions and speech

3 other good programs for doing difference checks are

WinMerge, which is free from SourceForge.

Beyond Compare which is not free.

Araxis Merge, but that is more expensive, but can handle very large files.
    I have CSM set to start up but can't figure out how to disable the normal start menu with XDA_UC. After it runs, I have CSM set to pop up from both the hardware start button and the soft key on the task bar. The RAM is still low, however, because the normal start menu is still running.

Got these done.

Still can't figure out where these are coming from even after comparing the registry.

Done.

Still need this command.

So the only things I haven't been able to figure out after comparing the registy before and after are:
    1. setting CSM to start on its own and have the normal start menu disabled,
    2. Start > Settings > Personal > Phone > enable short tones,
    3. Start > Settings > Connections > Wifi > toggle "Best Wi-Fi Performance" on,
    4. and finally move directory with mortscript.

#2: (short tones)
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\Sounds\Keypress]
    "BeepMode"=dword:00000002
    4. and finally move directory with mortscript.

If you're talking about Copy2Root, I might be able to assist.

Please check this.