[Q] Can't mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p8

Search This thread

DrPlumEU

Nov 13, 2010
London
I would like some help please.

Have bricked my a500 during attempt to falsh vach leaked ICS.

Switchme was used before clearing data and I forgot to delete a profile. This is I think the cause of my problem.

I cannot proceed with any ROM flashing until data partition is cleared.

I am using RA-ICONIA-3.15 recovery kernel.

I can mount and format CACHE SYSTEM FLEXROM partitions.

Attempting to mount data this is the message

E:Can't mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p8 (File exists)

Now my poor A500 will not get past 'acer'screen when trying to boot.

Question 1: How can I restore access to the DATA partition?
Question 2: How do I wipe my internal storage and start over?

I have a nand backup before this started on external SD card. Uncertain if I should restore this.

Thanks in advance.

dr mcknight

Feb 3, 2012

Switchme was used before clearing data and I forgot to delete a profile. This is I think the cause of my problem.

I have a nand backup before this started on external SD card. Uncertain if I should restore this.

Thanks in advance.

try this
If you are using Thor's CWM. And his recovery only;

Here are the steps to completely wipe all internal data. And give it a clean internal system (according to Thor)

Note: Optional Formatting.
If you really want to remove EVERYTHING in Internal Memory, at this point, go to Backup and Restore. Select "Toggle backup and restore of internal storage (/data/media). Enable this setting by selecting it. By default, it is disabled. Then proceed to the formatting steps. This will format the Entire Internal Memory when you proceed.

Note, this will format EVERYTHING in internal memory (not ext sd card)

Select Go Back, Goto Mounts and Storage
1. Format System
2. Format Cache
3. Format Dalvik
4. Format Flexrom

After you reboot, I believe it resets back to the defaults.

try to install the rom with the normal procedures.

this what i used and it worked great no problems

note** i am just fowarding info that was passed to me. and this will erase you backups
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
IF you are running RA Revamped Recovery, then you may want to contact Drellisdee at his thread;

http://xdaforums.com/show....php?t=1459821

He knows the procedures to do the same.it's a tricky process, and he knows more about his recovery than I do.

Reactions: DrPlumEU

DrPlumEU

Nov 13, 2010
London
Thank you for the prompt response. Already tried your recipe with no luck.

I need access to the DATA partition and do not know how to go about that. Once have access to the internal disk, would like to know how to completely wipe this if that what it takes.

Thanks

PS: If I truly have bricked the device it is still in 12mo warranty, so will contact Acer care centre if no tricks work.

PPS: Maybe I now have excuse needed to upgrade to Tegra 3 device. The Acer Iconia A700 looks tempting

dr mcknight

Feb 3, 2012
i think i have seen something like that when fixing mine but did not touch it....as im not a pro, hopefully somone with a litle more in depth knowledge sees this and can help.
sorry

DrPlumEU

Nov 13, 2010
London
Sadly, restoration of the nandroid backup was not successful.

I have notice that I pressed wrong volume button when attempting the hard reset. Will try the correct procedure later after work. Hopefully a proper hard reset then restore with one of Vache stock roms will have me up and running.

UPDATE: Sadly hard reset fails to load. My poor a500 needs resuscitation at acer clinic

Last edited:

spoupard

Apr 6, 2011
I had the exact same problem, although I caused the problem in a different manner. You need to be able to use adb to get it going again. If you are not familiar with adb, do a search and you can find plenty of help. That's what I had to do. Unfortunately, my skills with adb are pretty much non-existent, so I can't really help you with that part.

Once you get adb going on your computer and it recognizes your A500, follow these steps:

You will need to boot into my recovery and open adb shell.
This will cause loss of all data contained on /data which will lose your /data/media.

From adb shell:

mount (This is to check data isn't mounted. If mounted use "umount data")

mke2fs -j -b 4096 /dev/block/mmcblk0p8
tune2fs -O extents,uninit_bg,dir_index -C 1 /dev/block/mmcblk0p8
e2fsck -fy /dev/block/mmcblk0p8

After this is done your file system on /data will be fixed. You can install the ROM of your choice. Good luck!

(These instructions were originally provided to me by drellisdee)

Last edited:

Ping192

Dec 21, 2011
Hoofddorp
Thanks for the answer on your previous post. I fixed my /data mount.

Love to unbrick my acer for the 50th time :)

Did not have this error tho, before I tried to convert the /data mount to ext4 :)

blackthund3r

Feb 27, 2012
London

Thanks in advance.

If you switch the A500 off and whilst switching it on hold the volume up button and start toggling the rotation lock on and off it should clear the internal memory completely. Then flash an update.zip from a MicroSD. Otherwise use the Iconia software update tool that's floating around in APX mode. Make sure you have your UID for this

DrPlumEU

Nov 13, 2010
London
Resolved by great customer support...

To close this thread I wish to congratulate the Acer customer support team in Plymouth who have restored my Acer Iconia A500 to working order in under a week.

It is upgraded OTA to Android 3.2.1.

As still in warranty, no charge for the failure of the hard-drive partitioning!

Great work. Good customer service.

:)

mimeini

Apr 24, 2012
thanks lovable people in this thread

thanks lovable people in this thread you solved my problem :). especially Dr. McKnight (23rd February 2012, 03:48 PM) back in the beginning of the thread. His solution using thor's recovery was enough to solve my problem. Wonderful and thank you :)

/Mikkel

kerijan2003

Feb 13, 2013
Belleville, ON
From adb shell:

When I do the "mke2fs -j -b 4096 /dev/block/mmcblk0p8" command from adb's shell, it takes forever (I let it run for hours). Something I was thinking about, could I simply "rm -rf /dev/block/mmcblk0p8" first, and then run the above commands? Also, should I not add the "-t ext4" option to the mke2fs command?

dimon2242

Jul 15, 2008
Moscow
When I do the "mke2fs -j -b 4096 /dev/block/mmcblk0p8" command from adb's shell, it takes forever (I let it run for hours). Something I was thinking about, could I simply "rm -rf /dev/block/mmcblk0p8" first, and then run the above commands? Also, should I not add the "-t ext4" option to the mke2fs command?

Try in fastboot mode execute:
fastboot -w

Reactions: Kris.S

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I had the exact same problem, although I caused the problem in a different manner. You need to be able to use adb to get it going again. If you are not familiar with adb, do a search and you can find plenty of help. That's what I had to do. Unfortunately, my skills with adb are pretty much non-existent, so I can't really help you with that part.

Once you get adb going on your computer and it recognizes your A500, follow these steps:

You will need to boot into my recovery and open adb shell.
    This will cause loss of all data contained on /data which will lose your /data/media.

From adb shell:

After this is done your file system on /data will be fixed. You can install the ROM of your choice. Good luck!

(These instructions were originally provided to me by drellisdee)

Thanks in advance.

try this
    If you are using Thor's CWM. And his recovery only;

Here are the steps to completely wipe all internal data. And give it a clean internal system (according to Thor)

Note: Optional Formatting.
    If you really want to remove EVERYTHING in Internal Memory, at this point, go to Backup and Restore. Select "Toggle backup and restore of internal storage (/data/media). Enable this setting by selecting it. By default, it is disabled. Then proceed to the formatting steps. This will format the Entire Internal Memory when you proceed.

Note, this will format EVERYTHING in internal memory (not ext sd card)

Select Go Back, Goto Mounts and Storage
    1. Format System
    2. Format Cache
    3. Format Dalvik
    4. Format Flexrom

After you reboot, I believe it resets back to the defaults.

try to install the rom with the normal procedures.

this what i used and it worked great no problems

note** i am just fowarding info that was passed to me. and this will erase you backups
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    IF you are running RA Revamped Recovery, then you may want to contact Drellisdee at his thread;

http://xdaforums.com/show....php?t=1459821

He knows the procedures to do the same.it's a tricky process, and he knows more about his recovery than I do.

Try in fastboot mode execute:
    fastboot -w