How to root the Droid 2

Search This thread

newk8600

Aug 19, 2010
Northglenn
Cant get this to work on a Droid 2 Global

System Version: 2.4.29.A956Verizon.en.US
Kernel: 2.6.32.9-g700d0cf xrpk47@il93lnxdroid25#1

Anyone get this to work on System Version 2.4.29?

Should all the root apps and programs for the D2, D2 G, DX are all the same exploit I don't know all the process for each one but the basic idea has been used on all of the previously mentioned.

Aaron1017

Jun 26, 2010
Should all the root apps and programs for the D2, D2 G, DX are all the same exploit I don't know all the process for each one but the basic idea has been used on all of the previously mentioned.

I was successful using a terminal emulator on the phone running the same steps! Seems with the D2G the ADB connection never resets and allows a computer to connect again.

Cerinin

Dec 7, 2010
Does this work for the Droid X? Just followed the instructions in the readme.txt exactly, and all doroot1.sh gave me was "./adb: not found".

I'm running rev 9 of the SDK on Linux, and it looks like the folder structure has dramatically changed since these instructions were written. The "adb" binary is now under /platform-tools, not tools.

Is there a more up-to-date guide for rooting the Droid X available?

darkonion

Aug 27, 2010
Fremont, CA
Does this work for the Droid X? Just followed the instructions in the readme.txt exactly, and all doroot1.sh gave me was "./adb: not found".

I'm running rev 9 of the SDK on Linux, and it looks like the folder structure has dramatically changed since these instructions were written. The "adb" binary is now under /platform-tools, not tools.

Is there a more up-to-date guide for rooting the Droid X available?

This is old stuff. Try one of the other methods.

zachbush

Dec 25, 2010
help

When ever I type the second command" adb devices", than ir says that adb. Is not recognized as an internal or external command. HELP!

ezgo

Dec 27, 2010
I can't get it to work either. I have Droid2 Global. The farest I can get is to get root failed and ask me if I want to exploit again. which I type y and enter. then it is stuck at checking for device.

everytime I am stuck on checking on device, I have to terminate the program, turn off and on the phone, to be able to try again. if I don't power cycle the phone, it will always get stuck at checking for device.

darkonion

Aug 27, 2010
Fremont, CA
I can't get it to work either. I have Droid2 Global. The farest I can get is to get root failed and ask me if I want to exploit again. which I type y and enter. then it is stuck at checking for device.

everytime I am stuck on checking on device, I have to terminate the program, turn off and on the phone, to be able to try again. if I don't power cycle the phone, it will always get stuck at checking for device.

Try this method:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DC8v2SZXpw8

Links and stuff are in the description box.

randomnumbers

Oct 13, 2010
Hey all. Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I've got a droid 2 from the states and I live in Canada. I was wondering if I rooted the phone if this would allow me to use it on Canadian networks.

Thanks!

kenfly

Dec 22, 2009
can someone point me in the right direction. after running doroot.bin, everything gets pushed to the phone but when the adb server restarts and tries to reconect, it cant because adb devices shows that the device is "offline". and the only way to get the device back to "device" state is to reboot the phone, which reverses everything that was done prior

EDIT: i found out a solution. I failed to realise that i was on the gingerbread update, I used this and it worked
http://www.psouza4.com/droid3/

Last edited:
Reactions: sapiro

sapiro

Nov 9, 2009
Thanks kenfly. this worked for me too.

can someone point me in the right direction. after running doroot.bin, everything gets pushed to the phone but when the adb server restarts and tries to reconect, it cant because adb devices shows that the device is "offline". and the only way to get the device back to "device" state is to reboot the phone, which reverses everything that was done prior

EDIT: i found out a solution. I failed to realise that i was on the gingerbread update, I used this and it worked

whiterabbit1

Nov 6, 2010
albany
i had a bunch of trouble with one click on the og droid2 (non global) Krahmer at [U

Running .621 is gonna give you issues (maybe but I know I had some) any way there is a sbf to flash so root is gainable look up a995 2.3.4 fixed sbf on google any way when its says device failed during the flash just click on show devices in rsd lite and it will finish just follow the rest of the directions on the program happy rooting

Droid 4 running jellybelly 4.1.0
Droid 3 running ics 4.0.4
Droid 2 running ics 4.0.4

zelotypea

Apr 1, 2019
Could someone please provide a working link to droid2root (so I can get rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin).

Thanks.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    All credit for the binary goes to Sebastian Krahmer at http://c-skills.blogspot.com/. Please see fit to donate via Paypal to 7-4-3-C@web.de

If you want a simpler 'one-click' process, go to this thread: Easier 1-2-3 Droid 2 Root for Windows / Linux / Mac

***NOTE: Proceed at your own risk. I and the providers of this code are not responsible for anything you do to your phone!***

Setup:
    - Install adb (here) and Motorola drivers for windows(32-bit or 64-bit)
    - Download attached archive
    - Extract to a directory, I used c:\Droid2Root
    - Make sure you have USB degugging enabled
    - Change connection to PC Mode

Process:
    - Open command prompt
    - cd c:/wherever-your-sdk-tools-folder-is
    - adb devices (to verify the connection)
    - cd c:/Droid2Root
    - adb push Superuser.apk /sdcard/Superuser.apk
    - adb push su /sdcard/su
    - adb push busybox /sdcard/busybox
    - adb push rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin /data/local/tmp/rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin
    - adb shell
    - cd data/local/tmp
    - chmod 0755 rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin

- ./rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin
    - let the process run until it 'kicks' you out (may take a minute or two) to c:/Droid2Root
    - cd c:/wherever-your-sdk-tools-folder-is
    - adb kill-server
    - adb devices (to verify the connection)
    - adb shell (you should now have a # prompt, if not return to ./rage step above)

- mount -o rw,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
    - cp /sdcard/Superuser.apk /system/app/Superuser.apk
    - cp /sdcard/su /system/bin/su
    - cp /sdcard/busybox /system/bin/busybox
    - chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
    - chmod 4755 /system/bin/busybox
    - mount -o ro,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
    - exit
    - exit

I'm sure there are certain steps that could be streamlined or eliminated, so please feel free to make a suggestion and I'll edit the post.

Additional thanks to @rainabba and AllDroid.org for their excellent Droid X rooting tutorial, which assisted me greatly in this process.
    waiting for a recovery, glad to see its rooted

ROOT] Framaroot, a one-click application to root
    I have verified it works with these Motorola devices running android 2.3.4
    Droid 2 (a955), Droid 2 Global (a956), R2D2 (a957), & Droid X (MB810)