Anyone got Droid VNC Server working and able to view from PC?

Search This thread

itm

Jan 1, 2007
I've got Droid VNC Server up and running on my Nexus 7 but when I open a RealVNC viewer from a Windows 7 PC I get a scrambled display. I've tried all of the display settings on the VNC Server on the Nexus but none seem to work.
Has anyone managed to get this working on the Nexus?

huisinro

I think this indicates a bug getting the screenshot, it's most likely the pixel buffer length is different from the display width.

I will send you a private message for another app that works.

I've got Droid VNC Server up and running on my Nexus 7 but when I open a RealVNC viewer from a Windows 7 PC I get a scrambled display. I've tried all of the display settings on the VNC Server on the Nexus but none seem to work.
Has anyone managed to get this working on the Nexus?

ianfitzgibbon

Jul 14, 2009
Hi guys -

Firstly Happy New Year to you all :)

My uncle has a Nexus 7 and I would like to remote control it from my pc incase he gets into difficulties etc ... any ideas on the best app for this?

thanks in advance :0)

Ian

huisinro

As far as I know, only our app, VMLite VNC Server, supports Android 4.2 at this point, you can try it, but it's not free, available from google store.

Hi guys -

Firstly Happy New Year to you all :)

My uncle has a Nexus 7 and I would like to remote control it from my pc incase he gets into difficulties etc ... any ideas on the best app for this?

thanks in advance :0)

Ian

IIIIkoolaidIIII

Aug 3, 2009
Cardiff
Google Pixel
OnePlus 6T
+1 to this, I've tried just about every VNC server app out there and none have worked so far on the N7 running 4.2. Really would like the ability to have control from the PC. I always have my phone up on the desktop when using it. So much easier than having to look at it to answer messages.

huisinro

Did you try our paid app, vmlite vnc server? People are using it on N7 with Android 4.2, works very well and we tested it on daily basis.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.vmlite.vncserver&hl=en

+1 to this, I've tried just about every VNC server app out there and none have worked so far on the N7 running 4.2. Really would like the ability to have control from the PC. I always have my phone up on the desktop when using it. So much easier than having to look at it to answer messages.

itm

Jan 1, 2007

IIIIkoolaidIIII

Aug 3, 2009
Cardiff
Google Pixel
OnePlus 6T
Did you try our paid app, vmlite vnc server? People are using it on N7 with Android 4.2, works very well and we tested it on daily basis.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.vmlite.vncserver&hl=en

The need to hook up the tablet to a PC with a USB cable after every reboot to restart the server means this isn't a great solution even if it can be made to work on the Nexus 7.

I noticed it but as the above user stated. It's too inconvenient having to connect to a pc to start it. Defeats the whole point of having it. Can easily mirror the device when it's tethered to the PC. If just like standard VNC server to work with 4.2 as it used to.

huisinro

You have to root the device if you don't want to hook USB cable to pc to start it, then you can just press start/stop button. For non rooted device, you hook the phone to the pc, press a button to start the server, then disconnect the phone from the pc. You can remote to the phone afterwards as long as you don't power it off. In other words, once server started, no need at all to connect the phone to the pc.

My phone is not rooted, and seldom powers off, so I do this perhaps once a month, then you disconnect the phone from pc, which is not bad at all, just like a user would use USB cable to do data transfer. I don't know why it defeats the purpose, a few thousands of users are happy with it.

I noticed it but as the above user stated. It's too inconvenient having to connect to a pc to start it. Defeats the whole point of having it. Can easily mirror the device when it's tethered to the PC. If just like standard VNC server to work with 4.2 as it used to.

Last edited:

itm

Jan 1, 2007
You have to root the device if you don't want to hook USB cable to pc to start it, then you can just press start/stop button. For non rooted device, you hook the phone to the pc, press a button to start the server, then disconnect the phone from the pc. You can remote to the phone afterwards as long as you don't power it off. In other words, once server started, no need at all to connect the phone to the pc.

My phone is not rooted, and seldom powers off, so I do this perhaps once a month, then you disconnect the phone from pc, which is not bad at all, just like a user would use USB cable to do data transfer. I don't know why it defeats the purpose, a few thousands of users are happy with it.

I can confirm that my machine is rooted but this didn't work as you described when I tried it. Neither the PC nor the button on the Nexus screen would start the server. Only had 15 mins to try it before getting a refund but it certainly wasn't plug-and-play

huisinro

Thanks, that must be a bug, no wonder you mentioned a hang on device, if we found su binary, it will wait for 30secs to try the root way of starting the server, but somehow didn't work out on your device. What method did you use to root your device?

If you email to me, will try to send you debug version to test.

Which version of our app did you try? anything before v1.1.6 may have more issues on this.

I can confirm that my machine is rooted but this didn't work as you described when I tried it. Neither the PC nor the button on the Nexus screen would start the server. Only had 15 mins to try it before getting a refund but it certainly wasn't plug-and-play

Last edited:

stevet99uk

Feb 15, 2013
Trying to run on a galaxy s3 clone, seems quite good compared to the other free VNC server, all but 1 just didn't work.
Have problems with keyboard, nothing sent from buffer until leftmouse clicked

any suggestions?

occasionally get message saying server stopped, but it's still running

seems to disable softkeyboard on android device, any option to prevent this

F4 can cause rotation - stop server OR crunch

Last edited:

abhisheka

Oct 7, 2013
VNC on Nexus 7

Hi,

I have been trying to use Fast Droid and Droid VNC on Nexus 7 but it always results in a scrambled image on a VNC viewer. I have tried various viewers, both on a Windows and Linux PC. Did anyone got the VNC working on Nexus 7?

Interestingly when I use "adb screenshot" command on my Nexus 7, I get the same scrambled image as what I see on the VNC viewer.

Dec 20, 2012
No VNC servers work

droid VNC Server

Pixel Beta

VNC_server

VNC Server Ultimate

None of these work with my rooted VZW SGS3.

Tough to believe that there is no working VNC server.