[ROM] [KK] [UNOFFICIAL] CarbonRom for the SGH-I777/SGH-959G

Search This thread

TheGeekyNimrod

Jun 18, 2013
Virginia
thisisjohnnyt.com
YOU HAVE NOW BEEN CARBONIZED

Built from the Carbon source, these unofficial builds will be updated weekly. Maybe more if time permits or there are any huge changes to be incorporated. Built specifically for our devices, no ports here anymore. This should allow it to run a bit better than a rom that was technically built for another device.

And now, on with the show!

About Carbon
2qdadtk.jpg

CarbonRom is an aftermarket firmware based on the Android Open Source Project. We are dedicated to fast, stable, and feature-filled roms, honesty and communication with our users, and openness with our code. We like frequent builds, with the very latest and greatest hardware support and fixes. We strive to not only provide you with the best rom we can build, but also to give back to the Android community and our fellow developers. For us, this is about creating something we can be proud of and hope you will enjoy.

Please feel free to look at, build, and use our code on CarbonDev GitHub. and on our Gerrit CarbonDev Gerrit.

We would like to thank CyanogenMod for their device trees, framework/settings mods and their code that was incorporated into this project. We also extend our gratitude to the devs whose code that we have incorporated. Proper authorship has been maintained and can be viewed on our repository.

Special thanks also go to Slim Rom for some of their features, PA, AOKP, and anyone else we may have borrowed commits from that hasn't been mentioned here. If you feel you have been unfairly left out, please - let us know.

While we make every effort to test these builds as much as possible, we are not responsible for anything that may happen to your device, family, pets, or perception of reality. We ask that you do your part to know your device and know how to recover from problems before you flash! If you have questions, ask your fellow users or ask us in #teamcarbon on freenode IRC.

Carbon Features

All of our features can be found on our site here:

Here are some screenshots:

Carbon Screenshots

Carbon Updates
Join us on these Social Media Channels to keep yourself up-to-date on all the latest Carbon news, updates, contests, and more! Join our completely open Google+ community for insider conversation with devs and other users.

***NOW BUILT WITH ArchiDroid OPTIMIZATION STARTING 11/07***
Many thanks to @JustArchi for his commit regarding optimizations in Android builds. What are these optimizations? Check out THIS THREAD for more details on what this entails. In most basic terms, this optimizes code within the build a lot more than the traditional flags set by the code I build from. You may not see a doubled AnTuTu score, or doubled battery life. But this provides a lot more stability and smoothness than simply using the Sabermod toolchain that is also included in these builds. So props to him for this commit. Go give the man some thanks!

Special Thanks
Let me do this first and foremost before moving on with the downloads and installation instructions. This would not be possible without the help and guidance of a few other talented builders here in our community, and without the help of those who tested this before it was posted.

Thanks to @rogersb11 and @cyril279 for helping me out along the way. Their guidance and support have been most beneficial, and without that help, this thread wouldn't be here. So if you thank me, be sure to thank them too!

Thanks to the entire Carbon Team for the hard work they put into building such an amazing AOSP rom.

Thanks to my testers, @cyril279, @edwin270, @rogersb11 and @dsteele for being brave enough to be the first people outside of myself to take this new build for a spin.

To anyone else who has helped me along the way in my Android experience and journey from noob to only partially, just a bit of a noob. Your guidance and support has been appreciated more than you could know.

Download and Installation Instructions

As always, neither I, nor the people thanked in this thread, nor your neighbor are responsible for anything that may happen to your device including, but certainly not limited to: Soft Brick, Hard Brick, Exploding Batteries, One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish, raining porcupines, or male patterned baldness.

**IMPORTANT: If you are coming from ICS or JB, you MUST upgrade your recovery BEFORE flashing this rom. See below for compatible recoveries**

CWM - 6.0.4.4+
TWRP - 2.6.3.0+

For SGH-S959G

CWM - 6.0.4.5 from here
TWRP - 2.6.3.0 from here

1) Download the latest build from here (Current Build: 12/08 ). Older builds can be found here.

2) Download the Gapps pack of your choice. (I personally use Slim Minimal 4.4.4 which you can find here). But feel free to use whichever Gapps package you prefer.

3) FULL WIPE if coming from any other rom. If updating, wipe cache/dalvic before flashing, unless stated to do a full wipe.

4) Flash the ROM package

5) Flash Gapps package of your choice

6) (Optional) Reboot recovery, wipe dalvic/cache. (Recommended if you are coming from a custom kernel build.

7) Reboot device and enjoy the goodness.

SPECIAL NOTES

This will flash with the stock CM kernel with CWM Recovery, which many people find a little laggy. There are custom kernels in the forums that you can flash after the rom if you want more control, performance, stability, etc.

This is built straight from the source code found on the CarbonDev Github. The only things that have been changed are the removal of CarbonDelta and ROM Stats. Since these are unofficial builds, not supported by the Carbon team, these two apps really serve us no purpose. All updates will need to be flashed through recovery.

All bugs or questions should be reported to THIS THREAD ONLY. Do not send questions to the Carbon Team as this is not an officially supported device anymore. So don't bother them. Bother me instead.

For general CarbonRom questions, check out the FAQ.

That's all I have for now. If you enjoy this rom, please hit that thanks button and inflate my ego a little bit.

Happy flashing!

ROM: CarbonRom (Unofficial Builds)
Android Version: 4.4.4
Kernel: Stock CM Kernel Source
Built by: @TheGeekyNimrod

Last edited:

desteele

Apr 8, 2011
Woo hoo!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747

OK, I don't have a BT device, but almost everything seems very smooth and functional. USB connections/transfers seem fine, and mobile data almost seems fine. I can download web content in the browser, but never could get the playstore to download any apps. It pulled up and went through the steps to say it was downloading, but the app never actually got pulled down.

Pretty good stuff to this point though...

Also, it didn't set up my google account when I was setting it up, that's usually an included step. I didn't realize it til I opened the Play Store and then it went through the Google setup.

Edit: rebooted and a playstore download started up... it just seems a little finicky about beginning to pull. I don't have full signal at home, but was getting 3 of 4 bars most of the time.

Last edited:

TheGeekyNimrod

Jun 18, 2013
Virginia
thisisjohnnyt.com
That sounds more like just a bum install of Gapps. Especially if it didn't ask for Google Account right off the bat. I've had that happen before. Usually not a rom or Gapps package issue, but just something hanging in the flashing process.

Glad to hear everything else went fine. I'll do another fresh install on mine in the morning and see if the same issue crops up.

edwin270

May 2, 2010
Tema
www.edsysinc.webs.com
OK, I don't have a BT device, but almost everything seems very smooth and functional. USB connections/transfers seem fine, and mobile data almost seems fine. I can download web content in the browser, but never could get the playstore to download any apps. It pulled up and went through the steps to say it was downloading, but the app never actually got pulled down.

Pretty good stuff to this point though...

Also, it didn't set up my google account when I was setting it up, that's usually an included step. I didn't realize it til I opened the Play Store and then it went through the Google setup.

Edit: rebooted and a playstore download started up... it just seems a little finicky about beginning to pull. I don't have full signal at home, but was getting 3 of 4 bars most of the time.

For network I am always on 2g unless i do want to use the phone data( which i mostly never use, always on wifi). Sure 3g signal is not so strong from within your room.

When done with rom flash, I made it boot first. Then went ahead to set it up without google account, when back to recovery and flashed gapps.
Finally, after changing to "art" runtime I launched playstore then did setup my google account.

So far, so good............just about to pull my battery stat, to be sure it last as it should be. All my apps are running great so far.

NOTE: be sure to wipe/factory reset 3 times. Since previous gapps could be left untouched. I again make sure i wipe data, cache, dalvik cache again respectively, so to be certain.

Last edited:

TheGeekyNimrod

Jun 18, 2013
Virginia
thisisjohnnyt.com
Let me know how the battery stats look. I haven't really tested that, but mine is running with the RB11-Shift kernel so it would be different than if I had the stock kernel with it.

desteele

Apr 8, 2011
Well, baking overnight and possibly stronger signal downtown seems to have cured whatever mobile data issue I was having. I've done a couple of d/l's here at work, and it jumped on them fairly quickly, and the transfer rate seemed in line with what I normally get.

Did they include Heads-up?

rogersb11

Nov 18, 2013
Indianapolis
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Let me know how the battery stats look. I haven't really tested that, but mine is running with the RB11-Shift kernel so it would be different than if I had the stock kernel with it.

Had I decent amount of random screen lighting up lol. I have a logger running now so we'll see what happens. Other than that I've been pushing this thing

edwin270

May 2, 2010
Tema
www.edsysinc.webs.com
Well, baking overnight and possibly stronger signal downtown seems to have cured whatever mobile data issue I was having. I've done a couple of d/l's here at work, and it jumped on them fairly quickly, and the transfer rate seemed in line with what I normally get.

Did they include Heads-up?

Yeah!, heads up is included though there is no "personal" settings for it anywhere. To enable pull down the notification drawer look at the top right. The first icon before the tiles icon.

Working perfect even for non-intrusive calls here.

TheGeekyNimrod

Jun 18, 2013
Virginia
thisisjohnnyt.com
Yeah!, heads up is included though there is no "personal" settings for it anywhere. To enable pull down the notification drawer look at the top right. The first icon before the tiles icon.

Working perfect even for non-intrusive calls here.

You can disable it for specific apps from Settings>Apps ... Go over to all apps. Select the app you want to disable it on, select blacklist, and select blacklist from hover.

TheGeekyNimrod

Jun 18, 2013
Virginia
thisisjohnnyt.com
Had I decent amount of random screen lighting up lol. I have a logger running now so we'll see what happens. Other than that I've been pushing this thing

I've noticed that with Carbon on my S3 too. Let me know if the logger turns up anything helpful and I'll do some research and see what I can do for it. I'll be running another build off on Friday.

edwin270

May 2, 2010
Tema
www.edsysinc.webs.com
I've noticed that with Carbon on my S3 too. Let me know if the logger turns up anything helpful and I'll do some research and see what I can do for it. I'll be running another build off on Friday.

Hmmmm............how come i have never seen anything of such.

Guess must be the lockscreen notification stuff, i reconfigured mine to turn on only when i have a notification, by default it is on and guess that has a sure trigger..............just my thought.

Have no screen issue. Even turn off screen animation is disabled

TheGeekyNimrod

Jun 18, 2013
Virginia
thisisjohnnyt.com
Hmmmm............how come i have never seen anything of such.

Guess must be the lockscreen notification stuff, i reconfigured mine to turn on only when i have a notification, by default it is on and guess that has a sure trigger..............just my thought.

Have no screen issue. Even turn off screen animation is disabled

Pocket mode is a lot of what's behind it I think. Using the proximity sensor and turning the screen on. I disable it right off the bat.

TheGeekyNimrod

Jun 18, 2013
Virginia
thisisjohnnyt.com
Pocket mode it was. Thanks for pointing that out, I had no clue

Sent from my SGH-I777 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Perhaps I should change up the OP and second post and leave a list of features and such? For granted, the link in the current OP will take you to the Carbon website where it's all listed.

It didn't hit me until I messaged you about the pocket mode. It took me a while after first porting it to realize what was going on. By habit now I always automatically disable it right off the bat when I flash it.

TheGeekyNimrod

Jun 18, 2013
Virginia
thisisjohnnyt.com
I'm going to be running off a build tonight that, if everything goes as it should, means the ROM will be built with Sabermod toolchain. Thanks to @rogersb11 once again for helping me get the necessary changes done to be sure it's going to build right. I'll test it on my own device tomorrow and if all is good I'll post it up sometime tomorrow afternoon.

rogersb11

Nov 18, 2013
Indianapolis
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
I'm going to be running off a build tonight that, if everything goes as it should, means the ROM will be built with Sabermod toolchain. Thanks to @rogersb11 once again for helping me get the necessary changes done to be sure it's going to build right. I'll test it on my own device tomorrow and if all is good I'll post it up sometime tomorrow afternoon.

Don't start just yet

Sent from my GT-N7105 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    YOU HAVE NOW BEEN CARBONIZED

Built from the Carbon source, these unofficial builds will be updated weekly. Maybe more if time permits or there are any huge changes to be incorporated. Built specifically for our devices, no ports here anymore. This should allow it to run a bit better than a rom that was technically built for another device.

And now, on with the show!

About Carbon
    2qdadtk.jpg

CarbonRom is an aftermarket firmware based on the Android Open Source Project. We are dedicated to fast, stable, and feature-filled roms, honesty and communication with our users, and openness with our code. We like frequent builds, with the very latest and greatest hardware support and fixes. We strive to not only provide you with the best rom we can build, but also to give back to the Android community and our fellow developers. For us, this is about creating something we can be proud of and hope you will enjoy.

Please feel free to look at, build, and use our code on CarbonDev GitHub. and on our Gerrit CarbonDev Gerrit.

We would like to thank CyanogenMod for their device trees, framework/settings mods and their code that was incorporated into this project. We also extend our gratitude to the devs whose code that we have incorporated. Proper authorship has been maintained and can be viewed on our repository.

Special thanks also go to Slim Rom for some of their features, PA, AOKP, and anyone else we may have borrowed commits from that hasn't been mentioned here. If you feel you have been unfairly left out, please - let us know.

While we make every effort to test these builds as much as possible, we are not responsible for anything that may happen to your device, family, pets, or perception of reality. We ask that you do your part to know your device and know how to recover from problems before you flash! If you have questions, ask your fellow users or ask us in #teamcarbon on freenode IRC.

Carbon Features

All of our features can be found on our site here:

Here are some screenshots:

Carbon Screenshots

Carbon Updates
    Join us on these Social Media Channels to keep yourself up-to-date on all the latest Carbon news, updates, contests, and more! Join our completely open Google+ community for insider conversation with devs and other users.

***NOW BUILT WITH ArchiDroid OPTIMIZATION STARTING 11/07***
    Many thanks to @JustArchi for his commit regarding optimizations in Android builds. What are these optimizations? Check out THIS THREAD for more details on what this entails. In most basic terms, this optimizes code within the build a lot more than the traditional flags set by the code I build from. You may not see a doubled AnTuTu score, or doubled battery life. But this provides a lot more stability and smoothness than simply using the Sabermod toolchain that is also included in these builds. So props to him for this commit. Go give the man some thanks!

Special Thanks
    Let me do this first and foremost before moving on with the downloads and installation instructions. This would not be possible without the help and guidance of a few other talented builders here in our community, and without the help of those who tested this before it was posted.

Thanks to @rogersb11 and @cyril279 for helping me out along the way. Their guidance and support have been most beneficial, and without that help, this thread wouldn't be here. So if you thank me, be sure to thank them too!

Thanks to the entire Carbon Team for the hard work they put into building such an amazing AOSP rom.

Thanks to my testers, @cyril279, @edwin270, @rogersb11 and @dsteele for being brave enough to be the first people outside of myself to take this new build for a spin.

To anyone else who has helped me along the way in my Android experience and journey from noob to only partially, just a bit of a noob. Your guidance and support has been appreciated more than you could know.

Download and Installation Instructions

As always, neither I, nor the people thanked in this thread, nor your neighbor are responsible for anything that may happen to your device including, but certainly not limited to: Soft Brick, Hard Brick, Exploding Batteries, One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish, raining porcupines, or male patterned baldness.

**IMPORTANT: If you are coming from ICS or JB, you MUST upgrade your recovery BEFORE flashing this rom. See below for compatible recoveries**

CWM - 6.0.4.4+
    TWRP - 2.6.3.0+

For SGH-S959G

CWM - 6.0.4.5 from here
    TWRP - 2.6.3.0 from here

1) Download the latest build from here (Current Build: 12/08 ). Older builds can be found here.

2) Download the Gapps pack of your choice. (I personally use Slim Minimal 4.4.4 which you can find here). But feel free to use whichever Gapps package you prefer.

3) FULL WIPE if coming from any other rom. If updating, wipe cache/dalvic before flashing, unless stated to do a full wipe.

4) Flash the ROM package

5) Flash Gapps package of your choice

6) (Optional) Reboot recovery, wipe dalvic/cache. (Recommended if you are coming from a custom kernel build.

7) Reboot device and enjoy the goodness.

SPECIAL NOTES

This will flash with the stock CM kernel with CWM Recovery, which many people find a little laggy. There are custom kernels in the forums that you can flash after the rom if you want more control, performance, stability, etc.

This is built straight from the source code found on the CarbonDev Github. The only things that have been changed are the removal of CarbonDelta and ROM Stats. Since these are unofficial builds, not supported by the Carbon team, these two apps really serve us no purpose. All updates will need to be flashed through recovery.

All bugs or questions should be reported to THIS THREAD ONLY. Do not send questions to the Carbon Team as this is not an officially supported device anymore. So don't bother them. Bother me instead.

For general CarbonRom questions, check out the FAQ.

That's all I have for now. If you enjoy this rom, please hit that thanks button and inflate my ego a little bit.

Happy flashing!

ROM: CarbonRom (Unofficial Builds)
    Android Version: 4.4.4
    Kernel: Stock CM Kernel Source
    Built by: @TheGeekyNimrod
    ***NEW BUILD POSTED***

Finally, I got my build environment issues worked out and a new build is ready. OP has been updated to reflect the new link. Current build 8/28.

From the Changelog

• Various changes and fixes through a variety of places in the rom.
    • Theme Manager fixes.
    • Added option to disable heads up notification on lockscreen.
    • Add call recording option from CM.
    • Added customization option for incoming call screen.
    • Added Soft Reboot option to power menu.
    • Many fixes to proximity sensor.

As always, wiping cache/dalvic are recommended if upgrading from an earlier version of this ROM. Full wipe if coming from a different ROM.

If you have any issues, just let me know.

Happy flashing!
    **NEW BUILD POSTED**

NOW COMPILED WITH SABERMOD TOOLCHAIN

Alrighty. New build has been uploaded and the OP changed to link you to the most current build (8/19).

As said yesterday, the biggest change is that the hover feature was removed and replaced by heads up.

There is no general button to enable/disable heads up. Go to settings>apps, select the app you want to enable heads up for, and tick the check box marked "enable heads up notification".

For the full changelog, you can find it here.

That's it for now.

Happy Flashing!
    ***NEW BUILD POSTED***

New build (9/9) has been posted,

See the full Carbon changelog here Keep in mind not all of these changes will apply to this device.

The previously mentioned proximity sensor issue SHOULD be fixed, but no guarantees. I can't test In Call UI on my device.

Also SELinux is now set to permissive. So if you had any root apps that were conflicting with it being set to "enforcing" you should be in the clear now.

Any bugs? Let me know here.

Happy flashing.
    ***NEW BUILD POSTED***

Okie dokie. OP has been updated with the newest build (9/30)

Click here to check the Carbon changelog and as always, remember that not every change is supported by this device.

My apologies for not getting a few more things done with this as I have wanted to. Tweaking things here and there and I've started working on a themed version of this as well, but that's on the back burner for now. Between preparing for school in the spring, taking care of sick kids, and life in general, I haven't been building and working on these as much as I have wanted to. Hopefully that will change soon.

Dirty flash if updating should be fine. If you run into any issues, do a clean install before reporting.

ALWAYS clean install if coming from anything else.

Happy flashing!