Any interest in this?

Search This thread

SquireSCA

Nov 30, 2011
Atlanta, GA
My buddy has been creating molds and making true carbon fiber parts for our motorcycles. I attached a pic of a front sprocket cover he just made for his Aprilia... Anyway, I asked him if he could make a mold of a phone case, and produce some high quality, true carbon fiber cases for the Rezond, iPhone 4, etc... He said sure, he can take my case and make a mold and create a thin and incredibly strong case that would just snap on, be highly polished and look amazing.

He has not yet come up with a price, but we are thinking somewhere in the $30-$40 range once he gets the mold and process down, makes sure the fitment is perfect, gets the finish and polish perfect, etc... then he can start producing them.

I know that I have always wanted a real carbon fiber case, not that crappy plastic with the fake weave, and when I did find some they never made one for my phone and if they did, they were like $100 or something crazy...

So I ask you folks, if we could produce a really nice quality item at a really fair price, would there be enough demand to justify it? Would anyone be interested?

Here is what his sprocket cover looks like, so you can get an idea of how the finished product would look. The stuff is strong as hell, and weighs nothing, would add almost no bulk to the phone if done properly.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG957011.jpg
    IMG957011.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 1,378
Reactions: ANDR0lD

SquireSCA

Nov 30, 2011
Atlanta, GA
If you made 1 for the Galaxy Nexus LTE I'd buy it.

From my Sexii G Nexii

Well, the beauty of this is that we don't need a phone to make a mold. We can take a plastic snap on case that we can buy pretty cheap, and make a mold from that, lay the kevlar weave, pour in the epoxy and vacuum seal it to impregnate the weave and remove all the air bubbles and then let it cure for 24 hours. It would be a slow process, but if the demand is there, we could make up a batch, sell them, then make another batch.

The case would have to be the single piece snap-on type. This stuff has the tensile strength of steel, so it is not going to want to bend a lot. It will have to flex slightly and snap securely on. We will play around until we get it perfect, and then show the finished product and see if people are interested.

Thanks for the feedback. If this works and he sells a decent amount, he can make different molds for different phones, shouldn't be a problem if the demand is there.

SquireSCA

Nov 30, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Hell yes!

KORM via the beast known as the Rezound.

Cool. My friend Daniel is one of those guys that whatever he does, it just comes out awesome. I once needed some touch up paint done to a 2007 Ducati Monster S4RS, and in his garage he added some lines and things and it looked like a factory paint job. The guy has skills.

I got a gouge in my tank, and needed the red lines repaired, and I wanted some green added so that we would have all 3 colors of the Italian Flag on the bike, and this is what he did in his garage one day. Came out amazing looking, several layers of clear, looks like it came that way from the factory... So if he decides to do this, rest assured it will be top notch work and worth every penny.

Attachments

• IMG_0851.jpg
    IMG_0851.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 741
  • IMG_0852.jpg
    IMG_0852.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 710
  • IMG_0856.jpg
    IMG_0856.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 678

clclark7

Dec 23, 2011
I'm definitely in, hope this happens soon!

Thanks!

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

SquireSCA

Nov 30, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I am gonna get my plastic case to him this weekend so that he can make a mold for the Rezound. Will keep you guys posted, but it will probably take a week for the first completed unit to see the light of day, and we will see where we stand at that point. :)

txkorm

Nov 24, 2007
San Antonio
There's a "Barley There" case that would be perfect for this. Might be cool to have a hole for the beats logo IMO. The red would add some nice contrast with carbon.

Sweet bike by the way. Looks awesome.

antawnm26

Apr 3, 2008
Atlanta
My buddy has been creating molds and making true carbon fiber parts for our motorcycles. I attached a pic of a front sprocket cover he just made for his Aprilia... Anyway, I asked him if he could make a mold of a phone case, and produce some high quality, true carbon fiber cases for the Rezond, iPhone 4, etc... He said sure, he can take my case and make a mold and create a thin and incredibly strong case that would just snap on, be highly polished and look amazing.

He has not yet come up with a price, but we are thinking somewhere in the $30-$40 range once he gets the mold and process down, makes sure the fitment is perfect, gets the finish and polish perfect, etc... then he can start producing them.

I know that I have always wanted a real carbon fiber case, not that crappy plastic with the fake weave, and when I did find some they never made one for my phone and if they did, they were like $100 or something crazy...

So I ask you folks, if we could produce a really nice quality item at a really fair price, would there be enough demand to justify it? Would anyone be interested?

Here is what his sprocket cover looks like, so you can get an idea of how the finished product would look. The stuff is strong as hell, and weighs nothing, would add almost no bulk to the phone if done properly.

Thoughts?
Hey dont mean to jump the subject but pm me have some questions...i ride as well.. I see your in the Atlanta area..You flagging..do any track days

SquireSCA

Nov 30, 2011
Atlanta, GA
There's a "Barley There" case that would be perfect for this. Might be cool to have a hole for the beats logo IMO. The red would add some nice contrast with carbon.

Sweet bike by the way. Looks awesome.

Yeah, I actually have one of these that we were going to use as a starting point for the mold:

http://shop.htcpedia.com/htc-vigor-hard-shell-cases.html

We could make a hole for the Beats logo, but he can also buy the kevlar weave in different colors, and red is one of them. :)

txkorm

Nov 24, 2007
San Antonio

SquireSCA

Nov 30, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Does that case have holes for the two noise canceling mics or whatever they are in the bottom left corner of the back?

We will make sure that it does. The one on the bottom is open already, but we would need to make a hole to the left of the Beats logo.

We will have everything uncovered that needs to be. :)

txkorm

Nov 24, 2007
San Antonio
I'm not a case guy but I'm getting excited about this. If the price is right and it comes out right, I could see myself getting a red one to. Now the suspense is killing me.

con247

Retired Recognized Developer
Sep 1, 2010
Ann Arbor
I would be very interested in a black/dark grey one. What would be even sicker is if you could replicate the plastic part of the otterbox case with carbon fiber. That would be incredible. That way it would still have the silicone inside, but the outside would be carbon fiber.

Reactions: swilbert80

SquireSCA

Nov 30, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Daniel is not a member here but he is monitoring the thread. I think that making C/F parts to replace the plastic "skeleton" of things like the Otterbox is a great idea. All we would need is the plastic part to make a mold, and in some ways that might be easier to make than the standard snap on case that doesn't have the under-layer of silicone... Hmmm....

Marcismo55

Sep 29, 2010
Ventura, CA
Daniel is not a member here but he is monitoring the thread. I think that making C/F parts to replace the plastic "skeleton" of things like the Otterbox is a great idea. All we would need is the plastic part to make a mold, and in some ways that might be easier to make than the standard snap on case that doesn't have the under-layer of silicone... Hmmm....

That would be nice. Maybe then I would use my Otterbox....otherwise I hate the thing.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ok, the process to build a prototype is underway!

In the meantime, here is the site, which is still under construction and will have more content added as time goes on, but its a start:

http://www.performancecarbonfiber.com/
    Ok, some updates...

1) The cases that Daniel has been prototyping for the iPhone 4 are not working out as well as we had hoped. And the issue with them would be worse for the Rezound. The thing is, that this stuff doesn't stretch like regular plastic or vinyl, it is way too strong. So you have to mold in the lip that wraps around the phone and grips it. Well, when you have that, it makes it impossible to remove from the mold without destroying the mold.

2) We have also discovered that pur carbon fiber interferes with the phone's reception. It acts like a Faraday Cage!

However, all is not lost! We are researching different fabrics to find one that looks the same, but doesn't have the electrical properties that Carbon has. Kevlar is one option.

And as far as the molding goes, what may be a good method would be to take your cheap basic $3 eBay snap on case, and lay down the Kevlar and Epoxy over that. Use the case as the mold and put a think layer on top, then vacuum bag it to bond it all as one piece. That guarantees a perfect fit, the softer plastic case would be inside and act as a liner so it won't scratch anything, and you would have a dual-density, single case that should be very impact resistant and look identical to a pure carbon fiber piece. You would have a better fit and actually have better protection this way, so we are gonna prototype that and I will test it out on my Rezound and see how it works.
    I'd be happy to help test:-D

Let me see if we can get a couple working test units.
    Any progress on this project?

Couple setbacks on the molding process. It is a lot harder than we thought, which is probably why nobody has released one that costs under $100 before. LOL

That said, we are still testing some things and Daniel is actually pretty confident that he is getting close to having a test unit. Stay tuned.
    I don't see us making a kickstand version. Making multiple parts that have to each be cut and custom fit, that would work and hold up over time, is not something he wants to take on. If we had a CAD machine and an autoclave, that would be different, but Ferrari won't let us borrow theirs so we are SOL. haha

He made a prototype for the iPhone 4 yesterday and it came out pretty good. He is tweaking the mold and finalizing things and then he will tackle the rezound. Once we have a finished product that we are happy with, we will post the pics here and on his website, ramp up the additional molds we will need and then start cranking them out.