European HTC Desire Z to Samsung Galaxy S Relay 4G?

Search This thread

riahc3

Oct 28, 2009
Im wondering if anyone has gone from the Desire Z to the Galaxy S Relay 4G in Europe.

I ask for Europe to make sure it is compatible with most networks over here.

I see there is even ROM development over here with 4.4.4 running :) I imagine codename "Android L" will probably run as well

Thank you for the comments.

demkantor

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 10, 2011
mpls
A few have had posts in the q&a or maybe general section, there aren't many posts at all here so I'm sure with minimal effort you'll find the ones I'm referring to

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

raphaelcno

Sep 8, 2007
OSLO
Im wondering if anyone has gone from the Desire Z to the Galaxy S Relay 4G in Europe.

I ask for Europe to make sure it is compatible with most networks over here.

Thank you for the comments.

I went from Desire Z to Galaxy S Relay, it works well in Norway.
You need to unlock the phone from T-Mobile, see this thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2255892.
Be aware that this phone is not enabled for 4G (LTE) network, only 3.75G (HSPA+). HSPA+ is marketed as 4G in USA, not in Europe.

Last edited:

riahc3

Oct 28, 2009

sorgo

Jun 18, 2010
I upgraded too from Desire Z to Relay, didn't even realize any 900 Mhz problem. I get always an H or E icon (HSDPA or EDGE), so 900 MHz should be working.

According to specs, the phone should work with these networks:
2G Network GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
3G Network HSDPA 850 / 1700 / 1900 / 2100

I have it in Telekom in Slovakia and in the meantime I travelled to NY and got no problem at all (I had it set to manual network selection to save roaming charges).

The phone I bought via ebay was locked (even the seller described it as unlocked) but after firmware downgrade I easily unlocked it. I recommend LiquidSmooth ROM, you'll fall in love with that phone! :)

My other finalist was Moto Photon Q, it supports GSM but lacks SIM card slot. If you want, there's a guy in Prague, the author of the sim card mod instruction post on xda, that can do it for you. But I chose the easier way. Now I have a small problem with display flex cable (probably too much openings/day) so I'm considering buying another Relay before they're gone with no decent qwerty phone around. And I can leave the current one for spare parts. I had to put away my DZ because of the keyboard. Some keys started to write several characters instead of one and there was no easy way to fix it.

FYI ebay deals in your name with customs, so they charge you immediately and the phone is delivered to your door without customs holding it for a week.

If you wish to

Emil Borconi

Recognized Developer
Feb 18, 2008
Tg. Secuiesc / Kezdivasarhely
T699 in the UK

Hi.

I did not owed the HTC, I used an Xpreia Pro prior to my S4 Relay. However I have the S4 relay for almost 1 year and I had no problems using it in the UK. I have traveled in Europe (France, Germany, Austria, Hungary, Romania) and I was able to use it without any problems. AFAIK it works just fine on 900 Mhz but in 2G. The big question is what freq of 3G is your network provider using. For example, in UK I'm on EE network which is using 2100 Mhz for 3G and 1800 Mhz for 2G so the device works perfectly. Ifyou are on Movistar Spain than your phone will work fine, since the company is offering 2G on: 900/1800 MHz (both supported by S4 relay) and 900/2100 MHz UMTS ( from which 2100 is supported by the device). In very simple translation 2g will work everywhere without any problem, it might happen that is some places you will not get 3G signal.

Hope it helps.
Emil