Issues with recent Google app updates?

Search This thread

kmaxima

Apr 29, 2010
Just got the Note 8 a few weeks ago when I saw it on sale and loving it but having some issues with the most recent round of updates to some Google apps. Looked through the threads but did not see anything regarding this so apologies if it has been covered.

This started with the update to Google Search (Google Now) a week or so ago. Once it updated I couldn't use google search or open google now, it would always force close. I unistalled the update and it worked again. Later it reinstalled and now the updated version is working.

Then came the update to Google Chrome. Same thing, Chrome begins to open but before it fully loads it force closes. Unfortunately reverting and then getting the updates again hasn't helped on this one.

Finally, I got the Google Keyboard update last night and this one was even worse. I had Google Keyboard set as my default and not only would it not open up and kept giving me force close errors it also seemed to really hurt system performance. It took two or three touches to get anything to respond. I went in and disabled the Google keyboard and system performance returned to normal.

Has anyone else seen these types of issues? Is there something I need to do to resolve them? I can live without the keyboard but really missing Chrome.

(Note 8 is completely stock, no root)

Reactions: xDa.Fun

gooberdude

Oct 27, 2010
OK,

As for Google updates...

Keyboard should not update, as it is not part of the OEM package.

You may have to do a factory reset and let the tablet auto update before reinstalling. Some updates may not start right away, may take a few hours to show.

Once they start you should be good with the google stuff.

xDa.Fun

Feb 1, 2012
Planet Earth
Yes I have also got problem described at OP. Have to Uninstall updates applied on Chrome, Google translate etc.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

kmaxima

Apr 29, 2010
OK,

As for Google updates...

Keyboard should not update, as it is not part of the OEM package.

You may have to do a factory reset and let the tablet auto update before reinstalling. Some updates may not start right away, may take a few hours to show.

Once they start you should be good with the google stuff.

I know that the Google Keyboard isn't part of the OEM package, I've installed it and of course it was going to update since they just pushed a new update to Google Play. it was working just fine until the most recent update just like Search and Chrome were. It just seems that there seems to be some incompatibility with something in the Note 8 and several of the recent updates. Similar comments from Note 8 users can be seen on the Play store comments about these updates.

After continuing to play with it I think I have Chrome working again, at least for now, after unistalling updates, reinstalling updates, clearing data on the app, etc. Considering other comments of similar problems on play store just thought I would check here with people and see if anyone here had any previous experience with Note 8 having issues like this since I am new to the particular device.

Last edited:

gooberdude

Oct 27, 2010
I know that the Google Keyboard isn't part of the OEM package, I've installed it and of course it was going to update since they just pushed a new update to Google Play. it was working just fine until the most recent update just like Search and Chrome were. It just seems that there seems to be some incompatibility with something in the Note 8 and several of the recent updates. Similar comments from Note 8 users can be seen on the Play store comments about these updates.

After continuing to play with it I think I have Chrome working again, at least for now, after unistalling updates, reinstalling updates, clearing data on the app, etc. Considering other comments of similar problems on play store just thought I would check here with people and see if anyone here had any previous experience with Note 8 having issues like this since I am new to the particular device.

Well, I have always had issues with Chrome and the most of all Music Player, and never bothered with googles keyboard.

All other updates worked fine for me. I am using the latest search with enhanced voice, maps, earth.

I have used Dolphin browser and found it worth while, but replaced it with the latest Firefox. It may be a bit cumbersome, but it does make good shortcuts to book marks and is the best at emulating a Desktop browser, plus there are plugins galore if you go that route.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just got the Note 8 a few weeks ago when I saw it on sale and loving it but having some issues with the most recent round of updates to some Google apps. Looked through the threads but did not see anything regarding this so apologies if it has been covered.

This started with the update to Google Search (Google Now) a week or so ago. Once it updated I couldn't use google search or open google now, it would always force close. I unistalled the update and it worked again. Later it reinstalled and now the updated version is working.

Then came the update to Google Chrome. Same thing, Chrome begins to open but before it fully loads it force closes. Unfortunately reverting and then getting the updates again hasn't helped on this one.

Finally, I got the Google Keyboard update last night and this one was even worse. I had Google Keyboard set as my default and not only would it not open up and kept giving me force close errors it also seemed to really hurt system performance. It took two or three touches to get anything to respond. I went in and disabled the Google keyboard and system performance returned to normal.

Has anyone else seen these types of issues? Is there something I need to do to resolve them? I can live without the keyboard but really missing Chrome.

(Note 8 is completely stock, no root)