Root your Razr M now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

danieljw

Oct 5, 2012
This is amazing. Thank you so much; I will certainly be donating.

Question. After rooting, how can I install recovery? I don't see the device listed in ROM Manager. Or are you guys using another recovery?

Thanks.

simpledave

Oct 7, 2012
After running I just saw the Windows which said " Waiting for the device" although I put the device into USB port already.. Anyone have instruction for this.. I'm so noob with these Rooting :(,,,

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 852

simpledave

Oct 7, 2012
Thank you I enabled it and everything works fine.. No error and successful promted.. But still no root access after reboot the device ( tried Root Checker and Titanium Backup from Appstore ) .. :(..

danieljw

Oct 5, 2012
Thank you I enabled it and everything works fine.. No error and successful promted.. But still no root access after reboot the device ( tried Root Checker and Titanium Backup from Appstore ) .. :(..

Okay, all I can do is try to walk you through it. Download the zip file containing the root files and extract it. I extracted mine to my Windows 7 desktop. Next go here and install either the 32 or 64-bit USB drivers based on your Windows version.

Next, connect your phone to your computer. I had my phone in USB Mass Storage mode, with USB Debugging enabled.

Now, open the .bat file to begin the root process. Follow the instructions on the screen. Be sure to push power and volume up together when asked to create a short vibrate.

If that doesn't do it, I don't know how to help you, sorry!

simpledave

Oct 7, 2012
Wow.. thanks freak4dell and danielljw I finally managed to make it through.. Now uninstalling bloatware.. :D.. And building a custom firmware with all the bloatware removed is a good idea then :D..

Jersey846

Jul 20, 2011
Washington DC
Wow.. thanks freak4dell and danielljw I finally managed to make it through.. Now uninstalling bloatware.. :D.. And building a custom firmware with all the bloatware removed is a good idea then :D..

Do you know which bloat is safe to remove? I'm sure the easy stuff like Slacker and NFL, etc.. but any specifics other than the obvious? I'm a noob basically.

simpledave

Oct 7, 2012
yeah me too, I uninstalled all Verizon, Audible, Zappos, voice mail, video caller, navigation, Some chinese keyboard, and Backup Assistant sh*t.. so far so good.. I don't dare to touch some complicated service like Wfd Service 2.0, or VZWSecureSetting App 1.0 .. etc...

Jersey846

Jul 20, 2011
Washington DC
yeah me too, I uninstalled all Verizon, Audible, Zappos, voice mail, video caller, navigation, Some chinese keyboard, and Backup Assistant sh*t.. so far so good.. I don't dare to touch some complicated service like Wfd Service 2.0, or VZWSecureSetting App 1.0 .. etc...

Ok sweet I'll start there. I've seen posts of lists posted here on XDA and elsewhere before for each specific phone so maybe I'll take a look at my old Droid Pro list and see if there's anything on there that's on the M too.

NOTE:
Just so everybody is clear (especially noobs like me), even though it's been stated previously:

1. I updated my phone to Jelly Bean yesterday and am indeed rooted today with this method.
2. I also did have to replace the su and superuser.apk files that came with the root zip from aosp.us. (Zip file HERE)

Very simple and am very grateful!

danieljw

Oct 5, 2012
I hope you guys are just freezing the bloatware and not actually uninstalling, or you'll have a hard time getting any OTA updates in the future.

Carry on.

Hell-Intimidator

Jul 2, 2011
Still have no luck in getting it rooted. Superuser.apk is already in it, but root checker failed. Already tried that twice. :(

Sent from my XT907 using xda app-developers app

Jersey846

Jul 20, 2011
Washington DC
I hope you guys are just freezing the bloatware and not actually uninstalling, or you'll have a hard time getting any OTA updates in the future.

Carry on.

I backed up then uninstalled some of the bloatware. I won't be able to get OTA updates anyway since I've already upgraded to Jelly Bean. From my understanding, all updates are manual from here on out if you've updated to JB manually.

---------- Post added at 02:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:56 AM ----------

Still have no luck in getting it rooted. Superuser.apk is already in it, but root checker failed. Already tried that twice. :(

Did you check what the fix was in some of the posts? Some people (including me), had that issue originally but replaced the "su" and "superuser.apk" files and it worked like a charm.

Hell-Intimidator

Jul 2, 2011
I backed up then uninstalled some of the bloatware. I won't be able to get OTA updates anyway since I've already upgraded to Jelly Bean. From my understanding, all updates are manual from here on out if you've updated to JB manually.

---------- Post added at 02:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:56 AM ----------

Did you check what the fix was in some of the posts? Some people (including me), had that issue originally but replaced the "su" and "superuser.apk" files and it worked like a charm.

I already did that by replaced the files. Went for a 3rd time and I was going to give up, but it finally working and able to rooted for real. Whew!

---------- Post added at 02:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:37 AM ----------

I'm glad it's finally working because been curious trying out a new Gmail 4.2. Thanks

Incydeu

Nov 30, 2011
I assume a separate, not yet discovered, exploit is needed for unlocking the bootloader for the NON dev phones even with root access correct? Phone rooted successfully, but in fastboot phone shows as locked. Any help is appreciated!

Also, since its been asked a few times, the definite keys to success with this root method are replacing the superuser and su files as mentioned before if you are on the JB leak AND pressing the button combination when it prompts you. Successfully rooted 3 retail M's now like cake. Definite PayPal donation headed over.

mattlgroff

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 5, 2011
San Diego
I assume a separate, not yet discovered, exploit is needed for unlocking the bootloader for the NON dev phones even with root access correct? Phone rooted successfully, but in fastboot phone shows as locked. Any help is appreciated!

You won't be unlocking the bootloader by any method. The retail devices are locked down tight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Dan (@djrbliss) has posted the root method.

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=32888705&postcount=1

Despite my strong belief that people who are interested in rooting should buy devices with unlocked bootloaders instead of expecting the magical hackers in the sky to give out free exploits (which are in short supply), I'm once again continuing to encourage bad behavior by publishing another root exploit:

http://vulnfactory.org/public/motofail2go_windows.zip

Instructions:

1. Download and extract the entire zip file.

2. Ensure your device is connected via USB and that you have installed the latest ADB drivers from Motorola.

3. Double-click "run.bat" and FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS. The exploit will ask you to press a button combination at one point.

If the exploit prints an error saying something like "run-as: Package 'com.motorola.bug2go' is unknown", then unfortunately you will have to wipe your data and cache partitions and try again.

This exploit should work on the Razr M, Atrix HD, Photon Q, Razr i (you might need to replace some of the binaries with x86 versions?), and the upcoming Razr HD.

Paypal:
    http://goo.gl/zBGb0
    Glad to see he came out of retirement. Thanks to all of y'all, especially Dan!

Everyone who uses this exploit should be sending djrbliss a few bucks.
    It's the least we can do as users to support his consistently excellent and unique contribution to our community.
    There is nobody else in the same league doing this kind of work for us.
    You can't buy it for any amount of money... ;)
    At the end, mine says exploit completed and it reboots but there is no superuser or anything. I tried to install SU from the market but no root. What next?

EDIT: Went here as suggested and replaced SU and Superuser and it worked fine: http://aosp.us/?p=294
    Executed with no errors. Window claimed success. Yet no superuser or root after reboot??

I replaced su and Superuser.apk in the zip with the same files from the root package on aosp.us. It worked then.
    I'm running the official JB OTA. Just tried the root exploit and it worked like a charm. Here's what I did.

- Factory reset my device
    - Replaced the Superuser.apk and Su binaries with the latest ones from here: http://androidsu.com/superuser/ Or you can just grab the zip attached here. That will work.
    - Turn on USB debugging
    - Run the batch file as administrator (not sure if this is necessary, but people had been reporting success, so I did it that way). To do so just right click and choose "run as administrator".
    - Make sure you hold volume up + power for long enough. You will get one quick vibration, but that's not the one you want. The second is the one you're looking for, it comes ~5 seconds later.
    - Hit enter to reboot and you're rooted. Very simple.

I verified root access with Root Checker, TiBu, etc..