S-off is Official!!! With Instructions...

Search This thread

Hotweelz66

Aug 6, 2009
Salem/Metro
Ok, I will give it a try. If some of these questions were already answered though sorry, bear with me, at work so not a lot of time to read back through previous posts.

1) When booted to your ROM, do you have root access on applications?
2) Are you utilizing the ICS Firmware patch?
3) Have you tried re-downloading the tool?
4) Have you tried disabling and re-enabling usb debugging?
5) If all else fails, would you be willing to try upgrading your RUU to the leaked ICS, and trying the ICS Script? (If this works you can then downgrade back to the GB RUU)

1. yes, have root access.

2. I rooted and never loaded any rom so I should be on stock Gingerbread.

3. yes redownloaded twice.

4. have not tried disabling then re-enabling usb debugging. But will try soon after I finish this post.

5. How easy is upgrading RUU to ICS leak? If this doesn't work what would be my options afterwards?

Edit: Still get this:

======== ControlBear version 0.2.1 for JuopunutBear S-OFF ==========
Starting up......
Backing up......
Program requires root, sorry.
Transferring backups....
Backup FAILED!!
Exiting!!
Press ENTER to exit.....

Last edited:

droidrev71

Sep 18, 2010
Quad cities, Illinois
can someone give some help.. i know there have been answers and post for the internal storage and sd card problems. i cant even get busybox to install to start the external sd card fix..thanks

sindroidx

Apr 3, 2012
1. yes, have root access.

2. I rooted and never loaded any rom so I should be on stock Gingerbread.

3. yes redownloaded twice.

4. have not tried disabling then re-enabling usb debugging. But will try soon after I finish this post.

5. How easy is upgrading RUU to ICS leak? If this doesn't work what would be my options afterwards?

Edit: Still get this:

======== ControlBear version 0.2.1 for JuopunutBear S-OFF ==========
Starting up......
Backing up......
Program requires root, sorry.
Transferring backups....
Backup FAILED!!
Exiting!!
Press ENTER to exit.....

In order to upgrade the RUU you must re-lock your device, go to http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/0...id-4-0-build-3-11-605-22-for-the-htc-rezound/ download one of the stock RUU upgrades, rename it to PH98IMG.zip, and flash it through bootloader (it needs to be flashed twice). Then unlock your device again.

Before doing that though, next question is (once again, sorry if you already answered it) What recovery do you have installed? You SHOULDN'T have to upgrade the RUU for this to work, but stranger things have happened. I would wait to see if anyone else also has any input before upgrading the RUU just in case.

maxearing

May 11, 2011
i finally got s-off but but now it boots into bootloader ever time i boot. then i flashed recovery and now it boots into recovery. i did .1 control bear. what do i do from here

Hotweelz66

Aug 6, 2009
Salem/Metro
In order to upgrade the RUU you must re-lock your device, go to http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/0...id-4-0-build-3-11-605-22-for-the-htc-rezound/ download one of the stock RUU upgrades, rename it to PH98IMG.zip, and flash it through bootloader (it needs to be flashed twice). Then unlock your device again.

Before doing that though, next question is (once again, sorry if you already answered it) What recovery do you have installed? You SHOULDN'T have to upgrade the RUU for this to work, but stranger things have happened. I would wait to see if anyone else also has any input before upgrading the RUU just in case.

I have Amon Ra v. 3.15 recovery installed.

unichem

Dec 24, 2011
its seems that using 4ext recovery will making my htc sensation in bootloop...used clockwork can get into Juopunutbear loader..now still trying the wire trick!

i finally got s-off but but now it boots into bootloader ever time i boot. then i flashed recovery and now it boots into recovery. i did .1 control bear. what do i do from here

Reflash your boot image. You can do that in fastboot usb:

Code:
fastboot flash boot boot.img

OR, you can 7zip it into a PH98IMG.ZIP (add an android-info.txt file from another PH98IMG.ZIP), put it in your card, and flash in hboot/bootloader.

Afterwards, power off and reboot normally. You should be good to go.

droidrev71

Sep 18, 2010
Quad cities, Illinois
can anyone help me get my storage and sd card working. i successfully completed s-off and now am stuck on rom with no storage or sd card..i ran the internal fix on op and dont have room for anything. also tried the external sd card fix and device not found through terminal emulator

sindroidx

Apr 3, 2012
I have Amon Ra v. 3.15 recovery installed.

Not sure if this makes a difference with the Root issue, but are you running the exe as admin?

---------- Post added at 03:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:36 PM ----------

can anyone help me get my storage and sd card working. i successfully completed s-off and now am stuck on rom with no storage or sd card..i ran the internal fix on op and dont have room for anything. also tried the external sd card fix and device not found through terminal emulator

If you running the ext sd card fix through terminal emulator, ignore the "adb shell" commands and just do busybox fdisk blah blah.

droidrev71

Sep 18, 2010
Quad cities, Illinois
If you running the ext sd card fix through terminal emulator, ignore the "adb shell" commands and just do busybox fdisk blah blah.[/QUOTE]

i ran it again and applet not found.. which i am assuming no busybox. not sure how to install it. cant use sd card to install busybox.. is there a work around?

sindroidx

Apr 3, 2012
If you running the ext sd card fix through terminal emulator, ignore the "adb shell" commands and just do busybox fdisk blah blah.

i ran it again and applet not found.. which i am assuming no busybox. not sure how to install it. cant use sd card to install busybox.. is there a work around?[/QUOTE]

Just search busybox on the market.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Fixes for Internal Memory and External SD card are at bottom of post!

May be easier to make a completely new thread instead of people searching through the "s-off discussion" thread.

I'm going to make a huge SD Card post right at the top because it seems like people still are overlooking it in the "s-off discussion" thread... Not trying to be a ****, just making sure people don't lose crucial information on their SD cards...

Version 0.4 should not wipe internal memory anymore and should back up your external SD card: but I would still back up both just to be sure!!!!

Here's the link for Instructions:

http://unlimited.io/instructions/

Read the Instructions carefully and thoroughly at least once before attempting. This will temporarily brick your phone. Don't be lazy. Don't forget this will format your SD card so save all your contents or use a spare!!! I used my old 2GB droid incredible sd card for mine...

Prerequisites said:
    Prerequisites

In order to use JuopunutBear you must meet the following pre-requisites:

Be unlocked using the HTCdev bootloader unlock
    Be rooted (have superuser and/or an unsecured boot image installed)
    Have a spare microSD card, or to have backed up all contents of your SDcard
    Have fastboot and adb drivers installed and working (windows)
    Have usb debugging enabled
    Have a legth of insulated wire of sufficient length to join the contact points for your device. See images and videos for device specific information.

Some notes:

Make sure back cover is off before running program.
    Plug in phone before running program.
    Boot phone into ROM before running program, it will automatically boot into fastboot by itself.
    Don't do wire trick until after you run the program and tells you to do so!!!
    Make sure you have "USB debugging" enabled!
    If in Windows, right click program and make sure you click "Run as Administrator"

This post sums up everything nicely...

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=25154023&postcount=1289

Instructions said:
    Instructions

(Optional) Perform a full backup and replace your sdcard with one that you are willing to wipe.
    Ensure that your battery is fully charged.
    Choose the correct download for your device and operating system
    Extract the zip file to a new directory
    Verify the MD5 checksum for your download
    Read and/or watch the video for the device specific information for your device
    Run controlbear as admin(windows) or root or using sudo on linux
    Follow the on-screen instructions from ControlBear
    Do not press any of the buttons on the phone during the process.
    After doing the “wire-trick” yor phone will reboot. The sequence of the reboot may vary somewhat from that you see in the videos as these were taken during various stages of development.
    If you see the following message from ControlBear after doing the wire trick:
    ErrorMsg: Still sober.
    This means that you have been unsuccessful in implementing the wire-trick. Run ControlBear again.
    The usual casue for this is that you failed to perform 2 clean contacts or mistimed the wire trick.

Your phone will reboot several times during the process, this is normal. ControlBear will tell you when it has finished whether sucessfully or not.

Here's link for wire trick:

http://unlimited.io/htc-rezound/

Wire Tips:

22ga wire fits almost perfect in the lower hole.

Use a piece about 8 inches long and stripped the end for the lower contact about 3/8 of an inch and the other end just a small amount. Did this to two phones and it worked the first time both times.

It was reported that the large coated paper clips work well too.

Others are using odd objects or other weird improvised wires and having a lot of trouble. It seems to be one of the big sticking points.

I honestly used a paperclip and it worked just fine. Not even insulated... even though they don't recommend it: you could use it as a last resort.... or wrap it with an insulated material. I didn't know the paper clip had to be because I was one of the beta testers.

Don't make this mistake either.

Wire Trick said:
    Wire Trick

The “wire trick” is an essential part of the JuopunutBear S-OFF procedure.

When instructed to do so by the program you must perform the “wire trick” which is done as follows.

Obtain an insulated wire of appropriate length and gauge
    Insert one end of the wire into the hole where pin 1 is indicated in the picture below, ensuring that a firm contact it made with the metal contact at the bottom of the hole
    Briefly touch to other end of the wire to the contact marked GND in the picture below.
    Wait approximately 1.75 seconds and then again touch the wire to the marked GND.
    Allow the program to continue.

Note: it may take several attempts of running the program in order to obtain the correct timing for the wire trick.

The contact points for the “wire trick” are shown in the picture below.

If you're not getting it after wire trick, keep trying! Timing is crucial!!!

Don't forget this will format your SD card so save all your contents or use a spare!!!

Picture of Points:

rezound.jpg

Video of Wire Trick:

New ICS hboot should be included in the download now.
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=25147001&postcount=1141

Very nice thread walkthrough thread for fixing external SD right here!
    Fix for external SD is as follows:

1. Install busybox
    2. adb shell busybox fdisk /dev/block/mmcblk1
    3. type o
    4. type w
    5. adb shell busybox fdisk /dev/block/mmcblk1
    6. type n
    7. select primary, then 1
    8. chose default sizes
    9. type w
    10. adb shell busybox mkfs.vfat /dev/block/mmcblk1p1

For those of you having problems with internal storage, my apologies. We accidentally included the GB hboot.

Download this:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14779955/jb_hboot.zip MD5: b05336c08f709bf0a909205bcb95b951

Put the phone in fastboot mode, then run the follwoing commands:
    Code:
    fastboot oem rebootRUU
    fastboot flash zip jb_hboot.zip
    fastboot reboot

Ignore the green bar.

Pretty much copied everything off the site, but it may be easier to use instead of switch tabs/windows... Good Luck...

Disclaimer: I am not responsible for bricked devices or anything happening to your handset!!!! Just relaying the message

If you're still having issues... The search button is your friend. :) There's a high chance your problem has already been solved. Either search this thread or the discussion of s-off thread. Don't know how to search? WELL NOW YOU CAN IN THIS SIMPLE TUTORIAL!!!!!

Some more threads you might want to check out!!!!

AR recovery and s-off ( fix )

[FAQ] S-Off

just got s-off? please read this.

Oh yeah... ENJOY S-OFF!!!!!

These guys put in a hell of a lot of effort into doing this process... Any donation would be greatly appreciated!

Donate to JuopunutBear Team!!!
    There really is a need for a comprehensive set of instructions (but I'm not quite free enough to do it myself). NOTE - THESE INSTRUCTIONS ARE FOR THOSE ALREADY ON THE ICS LEAK WITH HBOOT 2.21 AND AN HBOOT THAT READS "TAMPERED - UNLOCKED." If you are on hboot 2.11 or any other hboot, I can't say for sure whether the following applies to you. If you are on GB, I can't say whether the following applies to you. It was my experience only, and I was successful, and I'm just sharing because after 100+ pages of pretty much the same 10-12 issues, I figure I can at least try to make things easier.

1. Don't try to get S-OFF if you are unrooted or have a locked bootloader. Read the darn instructions through from beginning to end, and review the OP's in this thread, and search for any issues about which you are curious. In fact, go read them again from beginning to end just to make sure you get it right, then come back here.

2. BEFORE YOU START, make sure you have available both an *.img file and PH98IMG.ZIP of (1) your recovery; and (2) your boot image.

3. PULL YOUR SDCARD AND USE A DIFFERENT CARD FIRST. I'm sorry, anyone who has whined about wiping their only card --- you shouldn't play with grown-ups; you didn't read the instructions. If you only have one card BACK IT THE HELL UP, cause it's gonna get wiped.

4. Back up your "internal" SD card. If you're running 0.2 version of ControlBear, it shouldn't get wiped, but you never know what else is going to happen that could wipe it. (Mine was untouched).

5. Gee, you could also do a Nandroid and save it to your PC.

6. All the Juopunut files go in the same file directory on your PC as fastboot.exe and adb.exe.

7. Kill HTC Sync if you're really still running it.

8. Open a command line box; navigate to the directory where you have adb and fastboot (and controlbear.exe and the two supporting files, it's own boot image and its hboot.)

9. Make sure you are admin on your PC.

10. Make sure your Rezound is fully charged, back cover off, connect to a cable (but not yet connected to PC) and you have your insulated paperclip or whatever tool you're going to use. LOOK AT THE PICTURE to be sure you know where you need to touch the wires. You will have time. Put the phone face down on a table or desk.

11. Consider having a metronome around or something to beat out 34 bpm so you know the frequency. Here's a 35 second track (in *.aac format) you can loop on your computer while you're doing it so you have a feel for the interval. I used this when I got S-OFF.

12. Run Controlbear. When it tells you, connect the device.

13. If it doesn't seem to see the device after a few minutes, kill it and start it over. Leave your phone alone.

14. Eventually, your phone's going to start rebooting and you'll get a prompt to do the wire trick. You will get that prompt for a few minutes and you'll have repeated chances to do the trick. After that, ControlBear talks about beer and other nonsense, and either tells you that you are still sober (exploit failed) or otherwise just sort of sits there. After a few minutes, if you seem to be nowhere, kill ControlBear (close the DOS box) and restart it. Leave your phone alone. Ignore any prompts from the PC about devices connecting.

15. Repeat #14 until: (1) ControlBear reports success; or (2) Nothing seems to be happening (and your phone has a green arrow pointing down and Juopunut on the front).

16. If things are stuck that way for >5 minutes (AND you're seeing no changes in your DOS box, no information scrolling, words such as "mmm, tasty", try to reboot into bootloader on your Phone. You might already have S-OFF (that was what happened to me, even though ControlBear never reported success). Be patient, wait a few minutes. Relax. You aren't going to brick your phone. As long as you can reboot to bootloader, ANY bootloader, you aren't bricked.

17. If you aren't S-OFF, go back to #14, if you are, go on.

18. Power off the phone. PULL THE SDCARD. If it isn't your "default" SDCARD, you don't need it anymore, you can put your regular card in. If it is your ONLY card, format the card Fat32 on the PC using a card reader.

19. Using a cardreader, put Juopunut's BOOTLOADER on my SD card as PH98IMG.ZIP (i.e., rename it, it's the file with hboot in the name), reboot to bootloader and accept the update. From the "new" Juopunut's hboot, power down the phone. Remove the card again.

20. Using a cardreader, remove the PH98IMG.ZIP of the hboot from the SD card. Put the card back in the phone.

21. Reboot to bootloader, selected fastboot, connect to your PC, using fastboot USB reflash Amon Ra. (You could also do this as a PH98IMG.ZIP if you choose by putting it on the card).

22. Power off. Remove card AGAIN, put boot image on card as PH98IMG.ZIP (taking off the old PH98IMG.ZIP if that's how you reflashed Amon Ra).

23. Reboot to bootloader and flash your boot image, either via fastboot or as an PH98IMG.zip cf. step 21.

24. Power OFF, boot normally, which should finally get you past the Juopunut splash screen. You might even bootloop once or twice (I did), but you should get a normal boot at that point.

25. Note, if you boot to bootloader, flash recovery, then go from bootloader directly to recovery you will probably have have issues. Instead, after step 24, Power off or restart into recovery AFTER you've successfully booted your ROM. Amon Ra should behave perfectly normal at that point.

The preceding was my experience at any rate.

Yeah, Unrevoked was a lot easier and quick for those of us coming from Incredible, but it really isn't impossible to do this if you remain patient, pay attention, and stay calm.
    for anyone whos done it what kind of wire have u used?

I used a paperclip that was insulated. So just wrap one up with electrical tape and that will be fine.
    Its actually quite fascinating to me to see so many varied results and peoples' reactions to the process. I'm also starting to realize that most of the people in here will put pretty much anything on their phone (or do pretty much anything to it..) even when they clearly have no idea what they are even doing it for.

I mean seriously, half the people in here trying to get S-OFF and driving themselves insane probably shouldn't even be worrying about it anyway. But they will do it anyway. And then the next thing they'll do, for no apparent reason and without knowing anything at all about them, is start flashing radios. Then the next thing they will say is they can't make calls anymore and can't figure out why...
    What should I do???
    Give me a hand! Thank you

LOL really? You mean you did all this stuff to your phone that could potentially destroy it, and you didn't even read all the instructions first??! OK, now go ahead and facepalm for a second....

...OK lecture over.
    1) Go to the development section, find the Amon Ra recovery thread, and find somewhere in there the latest version 3.15 and download it (check around page 48)

2) extract the .img file to a folder somewhere on your computer where you have the fastboot and adb applications located

3) turn off the phone. Boot it into fastboot by holding volume-down and power, then selecting fastboot at the menu

4) plug phone into computer - wait for phone to say "fastboot - usb"

5) type the command "fastboot flash recovery recovery-ra-3.15-gnm.img" to flash the file (make sure the filename matches, that was from memory)

6) then type "fastboot reboot recovery"

7) Once Amone Ra boots, go to the developers menu and then select install su from there.

Yes, I just typed all that out for you, even though its all readily available with a simple SEARCH. You're welcome.