Dish Network wants to buy Sprint

Search This thread

jdelano

Sep 10, 2010
Buford, GA
after seeing my comcast bill ballon to $285/month for triple play. I decided to check out DirecTV and Dish.

After all of my research I settled on DISH; I've been pleasantly surprised (as I've always heard they were so bad). The deal is great though.
My bill went from $72 to $125 after the sign up deals (because I decided to keep the movie channels, sports package and blockbuster package) I am still saving over $100 a month from comcast (I switched to NetTalk for my home phone)

Anyhow; there are certainly drawbacks with DISH but overall I give it a B- for my particular needs and setup.

So that being said; I was actually kinda happy to see this (though as will any deal you never know how a merger would change things).
I don't see why DISH would modify the current service offerings, especially the unlimited data. That is the #1 item that lifted sprint to where it is and why people come to sprint.

Reactions: bigdreco

bigdreco

Mar 4, 2010
Puyallup

budde2

May 15, 2012
Tampa
Wow dish don't have unlimited internet I thought all providers had it I must be luck Brighthouse for 130 a momth ibget 60mbps a real 60mbps to like on my laptop my phone gets about 30-40 but thats to be expected.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using xda app-developers app

h4kudoshi

May 15, 2010
I use to work for dish and in my honest opinion, they don't give a **** about the customer. They just want their money.

While I think it would be good for more coverage it would be a huge deciding factor in me taking my service elsewhere, and I have had Sprint for 13 years now.

I would rather patiently wait than to be a dish customer.

bigdreco

Mar 4, 2010
Puyallup
If Dish did buy Sprint do you think they would change the name?
Maybe to something like Dish mobile lol

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: jdelano

Ascertion

Mar 29, 2012
Dish would undoubtedly change Sprint to "Dish". And refer to their mobile department as Dish Wireless.

Although Dish wants Sprint for the Clearwire spectrum.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

-EViL-KoNCEPTz-

Nov 9, 2011
Tampa Bay area
Softbank has offered more than Dish, why would Sprint go with Dish? Also Softbank has more money and more assets than Dish so they can out bid them indefinitely. If Dish only wants Clear's spectrum they'd be better off trying to buy out Sprint's 51% with agreements to lease the 2.5ghz/2500mhz band Sprint wants for LTE back to them at a discount. This doesn't even take into account the Sprint/Softbank merger is already moving forward with Softbank having already given Sprint several billion dollars in an upfront cash infusion. The way things are looking Dish has already lost the bidding war on this one by offering a low ball bid to a company that needs as much liquid assets as possible to pull their ass out of the hole they buried themselves in with Clear. If you're honestly trying to outbid a larger company, and not just in it for the publicity to over inflate your own stock prices, then you offer substantially more and not just a few billion more. Yes a few billion dollars sounds like a lot of money, but in the corporate world especially when dealing with multibillion dollar mega corporations, a few billion is but a drop in the bucket when the other party counter offers by matching your bid and then raising it another $10billion cash infusion. I honestly think Dish just did this to get market speculation up and drive their stock value higher so they could cash in on the inflation caused by the speculations while driving other companies stock down so they can reinvest the profits from their own stock into other companies that slipped in the same period. This is called market manipulation and its a diversionary tactic used quite often when a corporation wants to proceed with a hostile takeover of another company. They bid on a company they really aren't all that interested in to distract from the fact they are actually driving prices down on the company they're really targeting to then be able to buyout majority share while the market value is low on their target.

☆SoA: Son's of Android™☆

I like to break stuff! :D

Last edited:

phippsy84

Feb 13, 2013

toolegit

Oct 31, 2009
If you're honestly trying to outbid a larger company, and not just in it for the publicity to over inflate your own stock prices... I honestly think Dish just did this to get market speculation up and drive their stock value higher so they could cash in on the inflation caused by the speculations while driving other companies stock down so they can reinvest the profits from their own stock into other companies that slipped in the same period. This is called market manipulation and its a diversionary tactic used quite often when a corporation wants to proceed with a hostile takeover of another company. They bid on a company they really aren't all that interested in to distract from the fact they are actually driving prices down on the company they're really targeting to then be able to buyout majority share while the market value is low on their target.

This seems the most likely..... Dish has withdrawn their bid.

Reactions: jdelano

g_money

Mar 27, 2013
I seriously doubt that Sprint would pull th at move. They know it would destroy their bottom line. People would bail in droves. It's one of they're main attractions.
As for DISH, I had them for all of a month. Then switched :rolleyes: . Nuff said.

TEAM MiK
MikROMs Since 3/13/11

I would hope that Sprint doesn't drop unlimited, but Verizon didn't seem to have any problems doing it (that I've heard of). Even seems like a safe plan. Offer unlimited and get a ton of new customers. Then cancel the offer and hope 30% of them (unhappily) stay?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

phippsy84

Feb 13, 2013
I would hope that Sprint doesn't drop unlimited, but Verizon didn't seem to have any problems doing it (that I've heard of). Even seems like a safe plan. Offer unlimited and get a ton of new customers. Then cancel the offer and hope 30% of them (unhappily) stay?

Sprint can't afford to do that right now. They are the number three carrier, they are still losing customers, and they have what is considered the slowest network. Hoping the Softbank deal and buying the rest of Clearwire can put Sprint in a more competitive position.

g_money

Mar 27, 2013
Sprint can't afford to do that right now. They are the number three carrier, they are still losing customers, and they have what is considered the slowest network. Hoping the Softbank deal and buying the rest of Clearwire can put Sprint in a more competitive position.

I don't think number 3 is a bad spot to be in right now. And every communications company (IMO) is more concerned about adding new customers then those customers that churn. I don't see any deals for staying a cell phone customer, just deals for becoming a new customer. Don't get me wrong. I'm a very happy with sprint, just saying that I think that's how the game is played....

poit

May 10, 2009
Colorado
Google Pixel 7
It's a done deal......Softbank is the new Sprint.......Quoting Engadget:

Sprint and Softbank are officially approved to merge by Sprint shareholders, the companies announced this morning. According to Sprint, approximately 98 percent of shareholders at today's meeting voted to approve the deal, which represents "approximately 80 percent of Sprint's outstanding common stock"

http://www.engadget.com/2013/06/25/sprint-softbank-merger-approved/

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I hear Dish is not very friendly towards customers. They would most indefinitely remove unlimited data to make more money off sprint subs. Also, it's likely Hesse would be out the door. I'd rather Sprint stick with Softbank.
    I agree if dish get sprint we loose Unlimited data for sure dish is horrible to there customers from my experience. There coast a lot to

Sent from my SPH-L900 using xda app-developers app

If unlimited data is eliminated or the prices go up too much, I'd have to make the jump to another carrier... We all know that Sprint's network isn't stellar (yet, hopefully), so the main things keeping me here are the unlimited data and (relatively) low prices. If Dish Network does buy Sprint and the predictions are true, it'd most likely be enough to lose me as a customer. (and because I'm egotistical, that must be the worst thing that could happen to Sprint. Just kidding!)
    I have dish network and there costumer service is great.. At least for me. . Also my bill is only 57 dollars a month.. And I get almost all the channels including blockbuster on demand.. And I can watch the on my phone, tablet, or computer. . I can even watch what I have on my dvr.. I love dish network and if they buy sprint, then we will have pretty much a empty spectrum. . Which means faster data because it won't be over crowded like it is now.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda app-developers app
    Softbank has offered more than Dish, why would Sprint go with Dish? Also Softbank has more money and more assets than Dish so they can out bid them indefinitely. If Dish only wants Clear's spectrum they'd be better off trying to buy out Sprint's 51% with agreements to lease the 2.5ghz/2500mhz band Sprint wants for LTE back to them at a discount. This doesn't even take into account the Sprint/Softbank merger is already moving forward with Softbank having already given Sprint several billion dollars in an upfront cash infusion. The way things are looking Dish has already lost the bidding war on this one by offering a low ball bid to a company that needs as much liquid assets as possible to pull their ass out of the hole they buried themselves in with Clear. If you're honestly trying to outbid a larger company, and not just in it for the publicity to over inflate your own stock prices, then you offer substantially more and not just a few billion more. Yes a few billion dollars sounds like a lot of money, but in the corporate world especially when dealing with multibillion dollar mega corporations, a few billion is but a drop in the bucket when the other party counter offers by matching your bid and then raising it another $10billion cash infusion. I honestly think Dish just did this to get market speculation up and drive their stock value higher so they could cash in on the inflation caused by the speculations while driving other companies stock down so they can reinvest the profits from their own stock into other companies that slipped in the same period. This is called market manipulation and its a diversionary tactic used quite often when a corporation wants to proceed with a hostile takeover of another company. They bid on a company they really aren't all that interested in to distract from the fact they are actually driving prices down on the company they're really targeting to then be able to buyout majority share while the market value is low on their target.