[Q] Question About HTC Desire Z

Search This thread
Feb 15, 2012
Hello all! I'm new here, so I guess I am what you would call an XDA Noobie or is it Newbie? haha

I've got a question about the HTC Desire Z and before anyone bashes on me, understand that I have done ALOT of searching through the forum and threads here (which have helped some) but I still feel I need to ask my particular questions... any help, info or tips would be GREATLY appreciated.

I'm buying an HTC Desire Z and I want to know if unlocked, will it be able to work on an AT&T Pay As You GO account or sim?
Does it matter if the phone is branded or not?
Should I buy an AT&T HTC DZ and unlock it myself?
Ultimately, what would be the best phone and route to take?

I currently have (and have had for a few years now) a T-Mobile SideKick unlocked using AT&T Pay As You GO. Ive never added a data package to my PAYG sim but what I have always found or been told is that you cannot use the internet or MMS on it anyway whether it's unlocked or not...

I guess the underlying reason why I am asking this question is because of the recently enforced policy that all smartphones now require a contract and data package...

I really would like this phone but I don't want to be tied to a contract or an outrageous data package... I figure since the HTC has wifi I won't always need a data package, right?

Anyway, sorry for the long post, I am just trying to get some help or answers from any one who has more experience with all of this... I hope to become a more knowledgeable. Thank You!

David

Feb 15, 2012
Yea, I just seen that and I was trying to figure out how to delete this post and move it to the Desire Z section but I guess I can't... Sorry guys... I looked through here so many time and never saw the Desire Z Section... :/

kotag82

May 13, 2011
Notts
Just report this to mods they will move it
Edit: been reported to move to Desire Z forum

Sent from my HTC Desire using XDA Premium App

Last edited:
Reactions: dsmoothfreestyles

steviewevie

Retired Forum Moderator
Oct 28, 2009
UK
You can unlock it (including SIM unlock), so it will work on any network, using the guide in the XDA Wiki for the Vision (Vision is the HTC codename for the G2 and Desire Z, which are basically the same phone except for radio bands).

Doesn't matter what branding is on your phone, but do make sure you get one with the correct radio bands for AT&T, because that's one thing that's set in hardware and can't be changed.

Sent from my Desire Z running CM7.

redpoint73

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007

There is no such thing. AT&T never offered the phone or anything close to it.

Branding does matter, as AT&T can generally only read the IMEI number of your device if its an AT&T branded phone. If they don't have the IMEI in their database, they can't tell its a smartphone. So you should be able to avoid the contract and data plan requirement if you buy a phone that is not AT&T branded. I've read of plenty of folks on here an dother forums that have used this tactic. Not sure if it works on the Pay-To-Go option. But I've read about plenty of AT&T customers that are on contract, but use a non-AT&T phone so they don't need to get a data plan, or to use the (cheaper) non-smartphone data plan. I've also read of some cases where they read the IMEI number incorrectly for a non-AT&T phone. One guy was using a Nexus One, and it was being read by AT&T as a Blackberry. They tried to add a data plan to his account, but he called them and told them it was just a dumb phone. They couldn't prove otherwise, so they removed the data plan.

The branding/version also matters if you want 3G data . The Canada Bell version is the only DZ that has the correct 3G bands to work on AT&T's network (UMTS 850/1900 MHz).

But since it doesn't sound like you want data anyway, you only need a phone that has AT&T's 2G/EDGE bands (GSM bands). AT&T uses the GSM 850/1900 MHz bands, and I believe every version of the G2/Desire Z is compatible with these GSM bands. As long as you get a phone with these GSM bands, and its SIM unlocked, it should work on AT&T.

If the phone is purchased SIM locked, you can get SIM unlocked either by following the Wiki guide (below), or use a pay service (usually than $10) available on places like eBay.

http://xdaforums.com/wiki/index.php?title=HTC_Vision#Rooting_the_Vision_.28G2.2FDZ.29_and_DHD

Another benefit of rooting the phone (aside from getting SIM unlock for free) is the ability to put any ROM or firmware on the phone you like. Aside from the radios (band compatibility) the hardware is essentially identical on the various DZ versions. So you can flash a new ROM to get whatever Android versions you like, remove branding, etc.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2012
@ stewiewevie and redpoint73 - wow, THANK you guys!! Much help!

The one I am getting is from a guy from Canada... he has had it for about 6 to 8 months... its in GREAT condition and it is unbranded and unlocked and is originally from Bell Mobility...

Only thing is, he does not know if it is the A7275 or A7272... Is there any way to tell??

Going off of what redpoint said and what I have read on here... (and correct me if I'm wrong) if it is from Bell than it would have to be the A7275, correct? because what Ive read on here is that the 7275 is the only one that will work on At&t 3G...

He says the phones OS is upgraded to Android version 2.3.7 (Cyanogen Mod 7.1.0)

Would this be a good decision, or would it be like buying an outdated phone? (or is that where the root comes in like redpoint mentioned?)

Thanks again guys!

redpoint73

Oct 24, 2007
If it was from Bell, then yes its the A7275. That model number is the Bell version by definition, and the one that has the UMTS/HSPA 850/1900 MHz compatibility.

Whether its a good buy or not depends on what you want out of a phone, and how much the seller is offering it for. The Z is getting a little old hardware spec wise, with a single core 800 MHz CPU and only 512 Mb memory. Current phones have a Gig of memory, and dual core CPUs teasing close to 1.5 GHz. On the other hand, there really is not a better Android phone with a keyboard around, and nothing announced anytime soon. The Z has a healthy developer community here, so that guarantees a variety of ROMs, including ICS.

Unless you are getting a pretty good deal, or really need a phone with a keyboard, my personal opinion would be to buy something more current. I've been obsessing about upgrading myself. Just haven't find just the right phone. If/when AT&T picks up the Galaxy Nexus, or an HTC phone that looks and feels better than the Vivid, I'll probably be all over it.

Feb 15, 2012
I see...

Well to be honest, Ive never owned anything android and Ive always like the HTC phones... (never had one) and that was the one thing I liked about this particular phone was that it had a physical qwerty. I'm new to all this phone tech with the hardware and software and ROM's so I think it would be a good "starter phone" for me BUT, by the same token I don't want to pay an arm and a leg for something outdated...

I know even now a lot of the Desire Z's that I could find on the net are going for upwards of 300 to even 500... esp unlocked... although there are some advertised on eBay for 240 but the seller is from Honk Kong and I'm pretty leery about all that...

In your opinion what would be a good price or offer to pay?
I thought about offering the guy 250 for it but I don't know...

haha I swear Ive spent the past week researching phones and figuring all this out and narrowing it down and figuring out what will work and what I want and how much I want to pay for it... and I still don't have a phone lol

Caz666

Jul 8, 2010
Montreal
I see...

Well to be honest, Ive never owned anything android and Ive always like the HTC phones... (never had one) and that was the one thing I liked about this particular phone was that it had a physical qwerty. I'm new to all this phone tech with the hardware and software and ROM's so I think it would be a good "starter phone" for me BUT, by the same token I don't want to pay an arm and a leg for something outdated...

I know even now a lot of the Desire Z's that I could find on the net are going for upwards of 300 to even 500... esp unlocked... although there are some advertised on eBay for 240 but the seller is from Honk Kong and I'm pretty leery about all that...

In your opinion what would be a good price or offer to pay?
I thought about offering the guy 250 for it but I don't know...

haha I swear Ive spent the past week researching phones and figuring all this out and narrowing it down and figuring out what will work and what I want and how much I want to pay for it... and I still don't have a phone lol

I have had just about 12 Android phones in the past 3 years (I get access to whatever I want at work). The desire z was probably my favorite device. It has the best mix of features for me...but I love hardware keyboards.

It is getting older, but mine easily overclocks to more than 1.2GHz and there are many roms to choose from.just learn about flashing. You can't really go wrong if you are not willing to pay more for newer or get a contract.

Sent from my SGH-I897 using xda premium

Feb 15, 2012
I have had just about 12 Android phones in the past 3 years (I get access to whatever I want at work). The desire z was probably my favorite device. It has the best mix of features for me...but I love hardware keyboards.

It is getting older, but mine easily overclocks to more than 1.2GHz and there are many roms to choose from.just learn about flashing. You can't really go wrong if you are not willing to pay more for newer or get a contract.

sounds awesome, Yea I really like the device too, have not got my hands on it yet lol... and that was kind of my thinking about it too... thanks Caz

Feb 15, 2012
Follow UP

Guys, thank you for all your help! I FINALLY got my HTC Desire Z! So far I love it... only one problem haha... I inserted my ATT Sim and for some reason it wont connect to the network...

The phone is supposed to be Sim Unlocked and originally from Bell Mobility... I thought I could simply insert my ATT Sim and be on the go but apparently not...

Are there any settings I need to configure to get it to work??

Any info or help on this would, again, be greatly appreciated...

redpoint73

Oct 24, 2007
You need to manually enter the APN (or network) info. Since its Bell branded, it only has the Bell network info built-in.

Go to Settings>Wireless & networks>Mobile networks>Access Point Names

Then create a new APN and enter the following info:

Name: AT&T
APN: wap.cingular
Proxy: leave blank
Port: leave blank
Username:WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
Password:CINGULAR1
Server: leave blank
MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com
MMS Proxy: wireless.cingular.com
MMS Port: 80
MCC:310
MNC:410
APN Type: leave blank

Feb 15, 2012
It did not work :(

Those APN settings are exactly what Ive been looking for because I thought maybe that had something to do with it...

Most of the APN settings were already in the phone the only thing I had to add was the password... I did that with no luck... so then I deleted the APN settings all together and entered in all new settings with the ones you gave me... still no luck...

When I plug my friends SIM into the phone it works and connects to the network which is ATT but she has a data plan tied to the SIM so maybe that is what it is but I thought that you did not need a data plan...

When I do a network search it finds ATT but when I choose to connect to it it says "cannot/unable to connect to the network at this time"

I'm stooped...?

I think the phone has been flashed or rooted... it has CyanogenMod on it, and an option to Flash ClockworkMod Recovery on it and a SuperUser utility... does that have anything to do with it??

Feb 15, 2012
The Sim I have is an ATT Go phone sim... does that have anything to do with it... my friends Sim that worked in the phone was on an ATT contract...

Feb 15, 2012
SUCCESS!!!

Well, I called ATT and told them I had a temporary HTC device I wanted to put my Go Phone Sim into because my old phone broke and one thing led to another and I ended up having to go to the ATT store and have them hook me up with a new Sim Card and SHABAMM! Everything works... and I'm still on my GoPhone plan without data...

The ATT Reps had their hands all over my device haha and they were all totally cool with it being unlocked, flashed and rooted! However they said there was no way to get data onto it without getting the $25 data package... psshhh... lol

Anyway, THANK YOU everyone for your help and info!

redpoint73

Oct 24, 2007
The Sim I have is an ATT Go phone sim... does that have anything to do with it...

Umm, yeah . . . it would have been helpful if you mentioned that. So you didn't have any service at all (voice, SMS) on the old SIM? The typical issue with post-paid accounts is that voice works, but data doesn't, and that's where the APN comes in.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just report this to mods they will move it
    Edit: been reported to move to Desire Z forum

Sent from my HTC Desire using XDA Premium App
    You can unlock it (including SIM unlock), so it will work on any network, using the guide in the XDA Wiki for the Vision (Vision is the HTC codename for the G2 and Desire Z, which are basically the same phone except for radio bands).

Doesn't matter what branding is on your phone, but do make sure you get one with the correct radio bands for AT&T, because that's one thing that's set in hardware and can't be changed.

Sent from my Desire Z running CM7.

There is no such thing. AT&T never offered the phone or anything close to it.

Branding does matter, as AT&T can generally only read the IMEI number of your device if its an AT&T branded phone. If they don't have the IMEI in their database, they can't tell its a smartphone. So you should be able to avoid the contract and data plan requirement if you buy a phone that is not AT&T branded. I've read of plenty of folks on here an dother forums that have used this tactic. Not sure if it works on the Pay-To-Go option. But I've read about plenty of AT&T customers that are on contract, but use a non-AT&T phone so they don't need to get a data plan, or to use the (cheaper) non-smartphone data plan. I've also read of some cases where they read the IMEI number incorrectly for a non-AT&T phone. One guy was using a Nexus One, and it was being read by AT&T as a Blackberry. They tried to add a data plan to his account, but he called them and told them it was just a dumb phone. They couldn't prove otherwise, so they removed the data plan.

The branding/version also matters if you want 3G data . The Canada Bell version is the only DZ that has the correct 3G bands to work on AT&T's network (UMTS 850/1900 MHz).

But since it doesn't sound like you want data anyway, you only need a phone that has AT&T's 2G/EDGE bands (GSM bands). AT&T uses the GSM 850/1900 MHz bands, and I believe every version of the G2/Desire Z is compatible with these GSM bands. As long as you get a phone with these GSM bands, and its SIM unlocked, it should work on AT&T.

If the phone is purchased SIM locked, you can get SIM unlocked either by following the Wiki guide (below), or use a pay service (usually than $10) available on places like eBay.

http://xdaforums.com/wiki/index.php?title=HTC_Vision#Rooting_the_Vision_.28G2.2FDZ.29_and_DHD

Another benefit of rooting the phone (aside from getting SIM unlock for free) is the ability to put any ROM or firmware on the phone you like. Aside from the radios (band compatibility) the hardware is essentially identical on the various DZ versions. So you can flash a new ROM to get whatever Android versions you like, remove branding, etc.
    If it was from Bell, then yes its the A7275. That model number is the Bell version by definition, and the one that has the UMTS/HSPA 850/1900 MHz compatibility.

Whether its a good buy or not depends on what you want out of a phone, and how much the seller is offering it for. The Z is getting a little old hardware spec wise, with a single core 800 MHz CPU and only 512 Mb memory. Current phones have a Gig of memory, and dual core CPUs teasing close to 1.5 GHz. On the other hand, there really is not a better Android phone with a keyboard around, and nothing announced anytime soon. The Z has a healthy developer community here, so that guarantees a variety of ROMs, including ICS.

Unless you are getting a pretty good deal, or really need a phone with a keyboard, my personal opinion would be to buy something more current. I've been obsessing about upgrading myself. Just haven't find just the right phone. If/when AT&T picks up the Galaxy Nexus, or an HTC phone that looks and feels better than the Vivid, I'll probably be all over it.