[Guide] How to root!

Search This thread

adeadrat

Jul 31, 2010
Tibro
As im tired of new thread and posts how to root I will show with pictures and text exactly what to do!

1. Download unrevoked3 choose wildfire and click unrevoked3.

You should also read THIS, info from unrevoked.

2. install the usb drivers! Follow this guide to do that :
http://www.unrevoked.com/rootwiki/doku.php?id=public:windows_hboot_driver_install

3. go to the settings in your phone, go to the applications meny, go to the development meny and make sure "USB debugging" are checked

4. start unrevoked3 plugin the phone if its not. The unrevoked3 reflash should now do alot of things: DO NOT TOUCH YOUR PHONE! (u can touch it but dont unplug or click any buttons)

5. it should now be done. And you should se a menu with green text in it.

6. Gratz you have manage to install a new custom recovery. lets start flash a new ROM.

7. start with backup, go down the menu with the volume buttons. and go to nandroid click the touch pad.

in the nandroid menu chose "- Backup"
let it do the backup and when its done you should be back at the start menu in your recovery.

8.Now lets flash the ROM wich you should have on your SDcard. if not click "reboot system now" and move the ROM you want to flash to the SDcard

9.to get back in the recovery. shut down the phone. and when you start it again have the touchpad pushed down and click the power button.

chose "BOOTLOADER" with the powebutton
let it load and then chose "RECOVERY" also with powerbutton

10. Chose factory reset. then go down the meny to "advanced" and then reset dalvik I think it says( cant check this now)

11. go down to the "install zip from sdcard"
"choose zip from sdcard"
and find the ROM or files you want to flash in that menu
What order you should flash the files in are best described at each ROMs thread
currently wildpuzzleROM is the only ROM.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=761927

Let me know if there is something thats not correct here or something I need to clarify

Last edited:

Brownstone

Mar 27, 2007
Won't work for me. Installed the USB drivers ok, enabled USB debugging, but Revoked3 just sits there waiting for device when it's connected.

Anyone used it successfully?

Cheers,

BS...

adeadrat

Jul 31, 2010
Tibro
try to unplug and plug the phone in again.. are you 100% sure the rigth drivers are installed ? if yes to both go to applications on the settings menu check unknown sources or something like that..

if it still doesnt work I dont know..
but my best guess.. is look at the USB driver guide again and follow it step by step..

Brownstone

Mar 27, 2007
Sussed it, Win 7 64bit was the problem. Switched to my 32bit Netbook and it worked a treat.

Cheers,

BS...

michael9413

Aug 23, 2010
Subang Jaya
sick of ppl asking???? when there is not proper guide for newbie like me???
and pls don be upset that... Ur guide is not a complete one, left out some steps and also not clearly state... you are writing it as per your understanding and not helping newbies to go thru it steps by steps...

and FYI the usb debugging must be on for HTC Sync also, read the help menu in the HTC Sync it will show you how to switch it on...
and in between step 3 & 4 u need to power off the phone and switch it on by holding the power and the volume down button together to get into the bootloader mode... then it will run a lil of things and it will show you USB **** on the screen after it finished load.... then u can flash it with the unrevoked3 program...

ok i have done all the things, which shown on unrevoked... and i still face some problem pls help me all the masters...

its said :
Communications with Phone unexpectedly interrupted. Try Again...

any know whats wrong with the connection??? BTW i already uninstall the HTC Sync also... it can detect my phone but communication error...

Last edited:

adeadrat

Jul 31, 2010
Tibro
have you tried to manually install the drivers at unrevoked site ? that was the problem when I got stuck..

do the unrevoked flash program say communication error. ?

michael9413

Aug 23, 2010
Subang Jaya
have you tried to manually install the drivers at unrevoked site ? that was the problem when I got stuck..

do the unrevoked flash program say communication error. ?

yes i had done everything on the unrevoked site...
yes is the unrevoked program that say error... i have installed the driver for windows also and uninstall HTC Sync...

bro, sorry to be harsh but pls amend the guide it really left out the restart step, switch it on in boot loader mode and also the USB debugging mode, although HTC Sync mention that but remind ppl to switch that on... there is only a few steps that i know of coz i'm stuck in communication error...

adeadrat

Jul 31, 2010
Tibro
well the restart in bootloader mode is in the driver guide wich i linked to, and the guide says to make sure usb debugging mode should be swiched on

cant help you with your problem tho

Dark_Balor

Oct 22, 2008
I had exactly the same problem.

You must choose manually the driver to install (on windows 7).
Go to device manager like said in the unRevoked guide. When you click to browse for driver software, you can choose "Let me pick..." click it.

Then next, then click on Have a Disk

Search for the place where you extracted the drivers.

A list of possible device will appear, choose "Android Bootloader interface", next.

And it's done :)

lesa0208

Inactive Recognized Themer
Feb 25, 2010
Beograd, Uzice
I had exactly the same problem.

You must choose manually the driver to install (on windows 7).
Go to device manager like said in the unRevoked guide. When you click to browse for driver software, you can choose "Let me pick..." click it.

Then next, then click on Have a Disk

Search for the place where you extracted the drivers.

A list of possible device will appear, choose "Android Bootloader interface", next.

And it's done :)

Tnx man, I root my phone :D:D:D

dikamilo

May 23, 2009
Nowa Sól
dikamilo.net
Won't work for me. Installed the USB drivers ok, enabled USB debugging, but Revoked3 just sits there waiting for device when it's connected.

Anyone used it successfully?

Cheers,

BS...

You are in HBOOT when connected WF to USB ? You must run android normaly. I do it:

1. Run HBOOT
2. Connect to USB and install unrevoked drivers ( instructions on package )
3. Restart phone and unplug usb
4. Set debugging usb and connect WF
5. Run reflash and wait for Done.

michael9413

Aug 23, 2010
Subang Jaya
You are in HBOOT when connected WF to USB ? You must run android normaly. I do it:

1. Run HBOOT
2. Connect to USB and install unrevoked drivers ( instructions on package )
3. Restart phone and unplug usb
4. Set debugging usb and connect WF
5. Run reflash and wait for Done.

i tried... but not success... it said...

Communications with Phone unexpectedly interrupted. Try Again...

I duno why also... :(

mawhale

Aug 24, 2008
As im tired of new thread and posts how to root I will show with pictures and text exactly what to do!

1. Download unrevoked3 choose wildfire and click unrevoked3.

You should also read THIS, info from unrevoked.

2. install the usb drivers! Follow this guide to do that :
http://www.unrevoked.com/rootwiki/doku.php?id=public:windows_hboot_driver_install

3. go to the settings in your phone, go to the applications meny, go to the development meny and make sure "USB debugging" are checked

4. start unrevoked3 plugin the phone if its not. The unrevoked3 reflash should now do alot of things: DO NOT TOUCH YOUR PHONE! (u can touch it but dont unplug or click any buttons)

5. it should now be done. And you should se a menu with green text in it.

6. Gratz you have manage to install a new custom recovery. lets start flash a new ROM.

7. start with backup, go down the menu with the volume buttons. and go to nandroid click the touch pad.

in the nandroid menu chose "- Backup"
let it do the backup and when its done you should be back at the start menu in your recovery.

8.Now lets flash the ROM wich you should have on your SDcard. if not click "reboot system now" and move the ROM you want to flash to the SDcard

9.to get back in the recovery. shut down the phone. and when you start it again have the touchpad pushed down and click the power button.

chose "BOOTLOADER" with the powebutton
let it load and then chose "RECOVERY" also with powerbutton

10. Chose factory reset. then go down the meny to "advanced" and then reset dalvik I think it says( cant check this now)

11. go down to the "install zip from sdcard"
"choose zip from sdcard"
and find the ROM or files you want to flash in that menu
What order you should flash the files in are best described at each ROMs thread
currently wildpuzzleROM is the only ROM.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=761927

Let me know if there is something thats not correct here or something I need to clarify

Sir,

May I ask do I need to turn my phone into "bootloader mode" before going to step 4?

Looking forward to your reply. Thanks

f0xy

Aug 23, 2010
Manchester
This is a great guide for newbs.

Although I didn't use it, i'm new to HTC/Android phones and managed to complete the root.

If new people cannot follow this simple guide or get it to work by trial and error then rooting is not for them and should leave it well alone or else they will start moaning that there phones are bricked!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Right, so i can't do anything with it? no themes, can't back the Rom up? well that's annoying...

thanks for your response :)

Not CM7/Other ROM Themes, but, you can install an alternative launcher (ADW Launcher) from the market and use ADW Themes.