Request listing of Fascinate Development Threads

Search This thread

Daswolven

Oct 1, 2009
Richmond Hill
Wondering if someone want's to throw up a complete listing of kernels, roms, etc. like all the other Galaxy S variant forums have.

wait.

damn.

nvm.

I really, really miss my Nexus, but at least I have service now.

Daswolven

Oct 1, 2009
Richmond Hill
im not the flaming type....but this is really unnecessary.

Isn't that like saying "I'm not the racist type, but...."

Of course it's unnecessary. But there's nothing else to do at the moment on here. It's a little frustrating to see the work in the other variant forums, and to hear crickets and hopes in here.

I KNOW incredible people are hard at work right this minute to fix it, but....

It's looking like we will be last to see Voodoo, last to see Froyo, and last to see CM.

I'm not the whining type, but.....

I'm growing restless. lol.

namebrandon

Sep 8, 2010
Chicago, IL
www.sunny16.org
If you're (the general you, not calling anyone out) interested in development, I suggest joining the IRC channel #samsung-fascinate on freenode. This is where you'll get the most up to date information. (For example, we were testing CWM recovery with Koush long before the first post showed up here).

If you'd like a small project to get you in the swing of things, and you're slightly familiar with linux and can get a VM up and running, you could always download the source from Samsung and learn how to compile your own kernel. I've seen a few people in the channel go from knowing pretty much nothing to getting their kernels compiled. Even if you can't get a linux VM up and running, maybe someone in the channel could help you with that.

Obviously thanks to Samsung, the kernel won't boot, but going through the process will help broaden your knowledge and give you some insight into Android and Linux in general. There's plenty to learn, and there's a wide range of people there with varying levels of expertise.

There are a number of us who have been at this since day 1, and since we "know" each other a little better, we often communicate directly between ourselves. If you pop in the IRC channel and don't see anything, don't take that to mean that no work is being done.

There are some major obstacles to be overcome here, and Samsung didn't do us any favors. We're working a number of things right now, getting the kernel source fixed, AOSP, voodoo, etc.. It will take time, but we're getting there.

Last edited:

wasupwithuman

Apr 6, 2007
Flagstaff
www.leumas.net
Isn't that like saying "I'm not the racist type, but...."

Of course it's unnecessary. But there's nothing else to do at the moment on here. It's a little frustrating to see the work in the other variant forums, and to hear crickets and hopes in here.

I KNOW incredible people are hard at work right this minute to fix it, but....

It's looking like we will be last to see Voodoo, last to see Froyo, and last to see CM.

I'm not the whining type, but.....

I'm growing restless. lol.

if you notice i did not flame you... I could have, but i respect you as a xda member... I just said this was unnecessary, because it is. Like namebrandon said, join the irc channel, but starting a topic like that, then just saying some nonsense, really doesnt need to be done... Your a senior member, we need to be a good influence for the new people. Like i said, i've seen you help out and i respect that; but lets try to keep the Android Development to Android Development. If it's something like this atleast file it in general.

If you're (the general you, not calling anyone out) interested in development, I suggest joining the IRC channel #samsung-fascinate on freenode. This is where you'll get the most up to date information. (For example, we were testing CWM recovery with Koush long before the first post showed up here).

If you'd like a small project to get you in the swing of things, and you're slightly familiar with linux and can get a VM up and running, you could always download the source from Samsung and learn how to compile your own kernel. I've seen a few people in the channel go from knowing pretty much nothing to getting their kernels compiled. Even if you can't get a linux VM up and running, maybe someone in the channel could help you with that.

Obviously thanks to Samsung, the kernel won't boot, but going through the process will help broaden your knowledge and give you some insight into Android and Linux in general. There's plenty to learn, and there's a wide range of people there with varying levels of expertise.

There are a number of us who have been at this since day 1, and since we "know" each other a little better, we often communicate directly between ourselves. If you pop in the IRC channel and don't see anything, don't take that to mean that no work is being done.

There are some major obstacles to be overcome here, and Samsung didn't do us any favors. We're working a number of things right now, getting the kernel source fixed, AOSP, voodoo, etc.. It will take time, but we're getting there.

I'm one of those people... First kernel i've ever compiled. :D

jt1134

Inactive Recognized Developer
May 8, 2010
Jesus people. I'll post a ROM if it'll stop all these nonsense threads.

Voodoo kernel is the works also. Coding helps development, not complaining and being sarcastic.

jt1134

Inactive Recognized Developer
May 8, 2010
signing key? don't need no stinking signing key. bootloader'll boot any (working) kernel I've tried

Daswolven

Oct 1, 2009
Richmond Hill
All fair enough. I know the work is being done, and my lack of dev skills makes it unfair for me to complain. My due apologies for the thread, I think I'm just going through flash withdrawals.
I'll make up for it in feedback, assisting, and donation when we get rolling.
:D

Sent from my SCH-I500 using XDA App

Terror_1

Aug 16, 2010
Not to jack this thread but,....

I LIKE COOKIES!!!

(Will probably make my way onto IRC at some point)

While I suck at Java I debug like kirwoodd's mother in a flea bath.

wasupwithuman

Apr 6, 2007
Flagstaff
www.leumas.net
All fair enough. I know the work is being done, and my lack of dev skills makes it unfair for me to complain. My due apologies for the thread, I think I'm just going through flash withdrawals.
I'll make up for it in feedback, assisting, and donation when we get rolling.
:D

Sent from my SCH-I500 using XDA App

I know what you mean about flashing withdrawls...my Droid 1 i would seriously flash on a weekly base... :(