[Q] disable mobile signal while on wifi

Search This thread

jalero196

Dec 29, 2013
London
Hi all:)

Im trying to find a way to make my nexus 5 automatically disable my 3g connection when i connect to my home WiFi, as i have horrendous 3g signal in my home and i think its affecting battery life.

Any ideas?

Thanks

D

Darth

As suggested... If WiFi is on, a week signal won't drain your battery. WiFi off, then of course it will.

;)

Sent from my N5, N7, Moto X, G Tab 3 or S2.....

bblzd

Nov 6, 2013
Toronto
This actually happens automatically. However doing it yourself does seem to be a quick fix for some WiFi related issues. Tasker or Llama if you think it will help.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Pekempy

Vincent Law

Jun 7, 2010
As mentioned: mobile DATA is turned off when wifi is connected.

You don't want to turn off the mobile radio entirely, as then you cannot receive phone calls or texts.

If you're in a low signal area, you'll have a small hit to battery life from this, but it's not anywhere near as bad as not using wifi.

G

GuestK00413

but changing the radio to Edge or 3G when on WiFi should be better for battery life right?

I use the smart radio setting in cataclysm and I think it actually helps a little (indoors I get 2 bars of LTE on average vs 4 on 3G).

Vincent Law

Jun 7, 2010
but changing the radio to Edge or 3G when on WiFi should be better for battery life right?

I use the smart radio setting in cataclysm and I think it actually helps a little (indoors I get 2 bars of LTE on average vs 4 on 3G).

No, as it's not using the data services. It's only maintaining base voice capability.

daniel.kusy

Nov 12, 2013

I'm not sure what others are talking about but from personal experience changing from 3g to 2g whilst on wifi did help battery life. People in this thread appear to forget the fact that even without data enabled, poor 3g/LTE signal will still drain more battery compared with having a strong 2G/3G signal as your phone's radio requires more power to maintain connection for base functionality (calls, texts).

Last edited:
D

Darth

I'm not sure what others are talking about but from personal experience changing from 3g to 2g whilst on wifi did help battery life. People in this thread appear to forget the fact that even without data enabled, poor 3g/LTE signal will still drain more battery compared with having a strong 2G/3G signal as your phone's radio requires more power to maintain connection for base functionality (calls, texts).

If the phone is on WiFi, battery life is not affected much by whatever you switch your connection to. On data, then sure...signal issues are a big factor.

Switching from this to that to this while WiFi is on is really a lot of trouble for maybe a slight difference in battery life. ?

daniel.kusy

Nov 12, 2013
If the phone is on WiFi, battery life is not affected much by whatever you switch your connection to. On data, then sure...signal issues are a big factor.

Switching from this to that to this while WiFi is on is really a lot of trouble for maybe a slight difference in battery life. ?

I completely agree with you on the fact that with data enabled on a poor 3G connection, your battery's gonna drain pretty quickly. After doing more research I found that changing from 3G to 2G can reduce power usage of the radio quite considerably (apparently up to 50% when in voice/sms mode only). Now as great as that all sounds, that's only around 50% power usage of the radio and I have no idea how much battery the radio actually uses during idle.. Looking at google's specifications it seems like the radio uses a pretty insignificant amount of battery when in idle (300 hours or so) so a 50% saving in idle radio probably wouldn't make nearly as much difference as say a more contributing factor to battery drain like screen on time or cpu usage. So yeah, I guess I gotta agree with kj2112 here, It's pretty negligible in the grand scheme of things if you're actually using your phone with wifi connected.

Interesting source if anyone was curious and wanted to learn more about radio affecting battery life: http://www.speedguide.net/faq_in_q.php?qid=362

D

Darth

I completely agree with you on the fact that with data enabled on a poor 3G connection, your battery's gonna drain pretty quickly. After doing more research I found that changing from 3G to 2G can reduce power usage of the radio quite considerably (apparently up to 50% when in voice/sms mode only). Now as great as that all sounds, that's only around 50% power usage of the radio and I have no idea how much battery the radio actually uses during idle.. Looking at google's specifications it seems like the radio uses a pretty insignificant amount of battery when in idle (300 hours or so) so a 50% saving in idle radio probably wouldn't make nearly as much difference as say a more contributing factor to battery drain like screen on time or cpu usage. So yeah, I guess I gotta agree with kj2112 here, It's pretty negligible in the grand scheme of things if you're actually using your phone with wifi connected.

Interesting source if anyone was curious and wanted to learn more about radio affecting battery life: http://www.speedguide.net/faq_in_q.php?qid=362

If it did make a big difference on WiFi....I'd have terrible battery life at home. There is no 2g on my carrier and my signal at home is horrible. But, I get over 24 hours and 6 plus screen hours always, whether at home (on WiFi always...and usually one bar of radio inside) or at work on LTE.

So for me, the weak signal does next to nothing to my battery.....while on WiFi. WiFi off, I get half those times at home.

daniel.kusy

Nov 12, 2013
If it did make a big difference on WiFi....I'd have terrible battery life at home. There is no 2g on my carrier and my signal at home is horrible. But, I get over 24 hours and 6 plus screen hours always, whether at home (on WiFi always...and usually one bar of radio inside) or at work on LTE.

So for me, the weak signal does next to nothing to my battery.....while on WiFi. WiFi off, I get half those times at home.

I'm not doubting you there, I pretty much summarised why in my previous post. ;) When the radio is idling (connected to wifi) it's using a very small amount of power. Hence why it doesn't make much of a difference reducing an already very small power draw.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This actually happens automatically. However doing it yourself does seem to be a quick fix for some WiFi related issues. Tasker or Llama if you think it will help.