HTC 7 Mozart - How to Upgrade SD Card

Search This thread

vladimir2989

Jun 17, 2007
London
OK i have attached Screenshot of Zune conected to HTC Mozart with 32GB Class 6 Micro SDHC, regarding speed, i cant see any major improvements in speed maybe a litttle faster in loading time of games like Need For Speed ...

Attachments

• 32gbZune.JPG
    32gbZune.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 304
Last edited:

poluks

Jul 14, 2010
Yes it would be interesting to see if the class 6 Card reduces games loading, NFSU for exemple.

Thanks

Ps: hd2leo_fusion, kastor is watching you ! ;)

nok_fusion

Jun 22, 2010
OK i have attached Screenshot of Zune conected to HTC Mozart with 32GB Class 6 Micro SDHC

my god very impressif,i'll buy the sandisk 32gb class 2 this week
& after the video is released i would try to do it :cool:

Yes it would be interesting to see if the class 6 Card reduces games loading, NFSU for exemple.

Thanks

Ps: hd2leo_fusion, kastor is watching you ! ;)
that's u kastor ? :D
when did u do the manipulation ^^

Last edited:

arimozuki

Oct 24, 2009
AFAIK, there aren't any 32GB cards above class 2 atm. Sandisk has theirs at class 2 and are the only reliable source for sd cards imo. Are you sure it really is class 6? For anyone else who orders/ordered the card and has not inserted it in their phone yet, run a speed test on your computer first and post results.

vladimir2989

Jun 17, 2007
London
AFAIK, there aren't any 32GB cards above class 2 atm. Sandisk has theirs at class 2 and are the only reliable source for sd cards imo. Are you sure it really is class 6?... .

i didn't run any test's but its of Amazon not e-bay so im not too sceptical

tho now looking in to it on officeal SanDisk web site max they do is Class 2 :( hmm, well will so how it goes, so far i been using it all day no problems

Last edited:

andyrham

Sep 29, 2007
Edinburgh
AFAIK, there aren't any 32GB cards above class 2 atm. Sandisk has theirs at class 2 and are the only reliable source for sd cards imo. Are you sure it really is class 6? For anyone else who orders/ordered the card and has not inserted it in their phone yet, run a speed test on your computer first and post results.
I did find and order a Kingston 32Gb Class 4 which I used to install for my video of the procedure. However, despite being Kingston, the phone did not work with it installed. The phone booted up initially but ran very slowly and would not progress past the "intalling your apps" screen so I ended up reinstalling my class 2 16GB card which runs absolutely fine. For me I cannot see any speed difference from the class 4.

Cheers Andy

Reactions: squallvai

andyrham

Sep 29, 2007
Edinburgh
Video Tutorial is complete

OK so I have done a video as some here and many on the blog have requested, it's in 3 or 4 parts and is uploading to You Tube tonight, should all be complete by the morning and I will post a link to the blog when its done. The video prep takes longer by far than doing the phone! :confused::confused::confused:

Cheers
Andy

Last edited:
Reactions: squallvai

nok_fusion

Jun 22, 2010
OK so I have done a video as some here and many on the blog have requested, it's in 3 or 4 parts and is uploading to You Tube tonight, should all be complete by the morning and I will post a link to the blog when its done. The video prep takes longer by far than doing the phone! :confused::confused::confused:

Cheers
Andy
it seems at time Kingston Micro sd don't run with wp7,sandisk Have no problem
sandisk 32gb class 2= 5,1mb/s in write so it faster than Kingston 32gb class 4 ;)
thank u,thank u so much to take time to do it for us :)

A

AngryNil

Cheers
Andy
Sweet, looking forward to it.

fredskis

Dec 14, 2008
Brisbane
Hi again, I bought it from http://ota.com.au/
I just tried finding it but I can't seem to :S
The brand is Team Group.
Have a look on www.staticice.com.au, just make sure you click through to microSDs and not an SD card - ages ago I made that mistake :(
No performance difference at all that I can gauge.

nok_fusion

Jun 22, 2010
For those of you looking for a video of the procedure to replace the HTC Mozart microSD card is is here

http://lifeinthefastlaneok.wordpress.com/2010/11/14/htc-mozart-7microsd-card-change-video-procedure/

Hope that helps some of you.

Cheers

Andy

thank u for u Works,it Will help a lot of people :)
i know now why my mozart don't charge
i buy a sandisk 32gb class 2 it Will arrive in a middle of the week & i'll do the manipulation next week end
what's the name of the tool u use to re insert the mini USB into the plug??? it's that i was missed

Last edited:

andyrham

Sep 29, 2007
Edinburgh
thank u for u Works,it Will help a lot of people :)
i know now why my mozart don't charge
i buy a sandisk 32gb class 2 it Will arrive in a middle of the week & i'll do the manipulation next week end
what's the name of the tool u use to re insert the mini USB into the plug??? it's that i was missed
Hi,

Glad to be of help.

I guess you mean that you forgot to plug in the strip cable from the USB slot on the case. it's not a specific tool but a pair of long nose tweezers, but I think you can use anything that will allow you to grip the cable and position it properly to get it into place.

Good luck and let me know if you get it done.

Cheers
Andy

Last edited:

nok_fusion

Jun 22, 2010
Hi,

Glad to be of help.

I guess you mean that you forgot to plug in the strip cable from the USB slot on the case. it's not a specific tool but a pair of long nose tweezers, but I think you can use anything that will allow you to grip the cable and position it properly to get it into place.

Good luck and let me know if you get it doen.

Cheers
Andy
I find the tools,i go buy it tomorrow :)
i'll Tell u when i'm Will do the manipulation certainly This week end

meegulthwarp

Nov 24, 2009
Bath
Don't wanna hijack or anything but according to Anandtech once the card has been formatted into JBOD by WP7 it can't be formatted back into FAT32 or any useable format. Can anyone who has taken out a card try to confirm this? If so then we might wanna include a warning to anyone attempting this procedure.

Also he claims that the more important factor in card speed is the 4K random read/write speed. Which would be why your Class 2 cards are performing just as quick as the Class 6 cards. Hope MS will shed more light on this soon as they have all their talk about WP7 certifed SD cards and the such. I'd also like to try out one of Samsungs Class 6 Plus cards but I gotta wait for my Mozart first. :(

You can read more here.

nok_fusion

Jun 22, 2010
Don't wanna hijack or anything but according to Anandtech once the card has been formatted into JBOD by WP7 it can't be formatted back into FAT32 or any useable format. Can anyone who has taken out a card try to confirm this? If so then we might wanna include a warning to anyone attempting this procedure.

Also he claims that the more important factor in card speed is the 4K random read/write speed. Which would be why your Class 2 cards are performing just as quick as the Class 6 cards. Hope MS will shed more light on this soon as they have all their talk about WP7 certifed SD cards and the such. I'd also like to try out one of Samsungs Class 6 Plus cards but I gotta wait for my Mozart first. :(

You can read more here.
yes they had no tools for the moment who format the SD card after you use it in Windows phone :(

Last edited:

andyrham

Sep 29, 2007
Edinburgh

You can read more here.
Yes indeed, I can confirm that the 8GB SanDisk card that I took out of the phone will not show up at all in Disk Management on a Windows 7 PC. Interstingly, it does show up as a USB mass storage device under Device Manager, so maybe there is a way to recover it somehow, screenshots attached below in case there is someone who knows how to suggest an approach.

Cheers
Andy

Last edited:

shamreez

May 30, 2008
bristol
after seeing the video I have definitely decided not to do this...

Not my cup of tea as I would definitely brick or break my phone trying to change the card

Hope that some of the experts come forward offering service for the same like we now have for unlocking....

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Good News, there is a way to upgrade the HTC 7 Mozart and I have done it successfully .

I have attached an image of the zune screen showing the updated memory to 14.73GB

Cheers Andy

Now includes:

Video here
    and
    Photos here
    Ok Here is the link

Thanks Ralf

http://wp.me/p1azFB-J -try that

As you will see I just used an old class 2 16GB card that I had lying around, I think it is a Duracell brand !!. There were no problems with booting at all, just went straight to a message saying that the menu tiles were corrupt and asking for a reset. No noticable speed difference, but I will be getting a class 4 32Gb as soon as I can find one for a decent price.

Cheers
    Andy
    its too risky...probably i wont operate it like this...but a brilliant operation!!!
    would 32GB Class 6 work fine ? and also will this effect Updates from MS, is there any serials on SD card that have to match up or something like that ? (hope not)
    I dont know yet about a class 6 32Gb replacement, but I am going to order one and try myself, as I beleive it will be fine. I will let you know once I get it delivered.

BYW, in terms of speed comparison, I have non-scientifically compared my 16GB class2 with my wife's standard 8GB Class 4 and the results look almost identical, in fact in some tests loading into IE etc the Class 2 phone was quicker. I need to run some games though to test properly, as they run mainly from the SD card and any real speed variance will be most apparent then.

There are no serial numbers needed, what WP7 is doing is formating the card in a special way, hence the need for the hard reset. This is shown by the fact that the 8GB card removed from the phone is not Fat32 formatted when connected to a PC and therefore does not show up. Equally when you plug your WP7 phone into the usb slot, it does not show up as a Removable Disk so you cannot simply transfer files to it like with WM6 and before. It remains to be seen if it can be reformatted to use elswhere.

Hope that helps

Cheers
    Andy
    Wait until warranty has expired

Hi all

I have upgraded every laptop that I have owned, just after the warranty has expired. for example, I have just put a wireless N card and Bluetooth module in my HP Touchsmart TX2Z which has just gone out of warranty, and changed the keyboard over to a UK one. I wouldn't have done this when the device was under warranty, and I wouldn't take my mobile apart while it was still under warranty either.

It is reassuring to know that this procedure can be done though. I heard somewhere that you can actually buy those void stickers on the internet (ebay probably) along with replacement water damage stickers in case you have an accident in the bath!

Cheers

andrew-in-woking