Search This thread

jurtsche

Oct 29, 2011
PGP SMS
PGP SMS lite

- write and get secure messages with pgp encryption
- totaly over sms
- public-key infrastructure (PKI)

If you want to share sensitive data with someone, others should not be able to spy the data. To reach this goal we created this app.

With this app, an attacker, who probably intercepted the sms to get its content, cannot get any information from the content because the message is encrypted.

Functionality:
A Keypair is created.
With the Public Key you encrypt a message.
With the Private Key you decrypt an encrypted message.
You send your Public Key to the person which wants to send you an encrypted message. The person encrypts the message with your Public Key and sends the encrypted Message to you. ONLY YOU can decrypt the encrypted Message with your Private Key.

Instruction to send encrypted messages:
- your friend shares you his public key
- now you can send him an encrypted message

Instruction to get encrypted messages
- you share your public key to the person which wants to send you an encrypted message.

If you have suggestions, feel free to contact us. :)

coming features:
- choose keysize
- revoke old shared public key

keywords: privacy, encryption, private, public, keys, secure, sms, pgp, gpg, message, crypted, encrypted, secret, encoded, decoded.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 1,717
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 1,623
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 1,578
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 1,532
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 1,463
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 1,418
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 1,380
Last edited:

devlogic

Nov 9, 2009
So are you actually using PGP for the backend encryption? Or are you just using the name because it's popular?

jurtsche

Oct 29, 2011
Yes, sure.
PGP for transmitting the messages encrypted over the air to another device and then decrypting it... like in the white "how does it work"-picture mentioned above.

PGP just for the name, would be a strange ;)

Last edited:

devlogic

Nov 9, 2009
Yes, sure, Public Private Key infrastructure.
PGP for transmitting the messages encrypted over the air to another device and then decrypting it.

OK, the question I actually asked, which you seem to either not understand or have intentionally not answered, is whether you're actually using PGP technology for the message encryption and transmission. PGP isn't a generic term for "public key infrastructure", it's a specific technology (and, coincidentally, PGP is also a copyrighted/trademarked word that's owned by Symantec).
History of PGP: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pretty_Good_Privacy
Now, there IS an OpenPGP standard, RFC 4880, but you've made no indication in your post (which appears to just be copypasta from your market description) that you're following this RFC, either.

jurtsche

Oct 29, 2011
OK, the question I actually asked, which you seem to either not understand or have intentionally not answered, is whether you're actually using PGP technology for the message encryption and transmission. PGP isn't a generic term for "public key infrastructure", it's a specific technology (and, coincidentally, PGP is also a copyrighted/trademarked word that's owned by Symantec).
History of PGP
Now, there IS an OpenPGP standard, RFC 4880, but you've made no indication in your post (which appears to just be copypasta from your market description) that you're following this RFC, either.

some details...
yes, we used this rfc from openpgp as "pattern".
but we changed and, imho, improved some things for not only the reason of maximum sms size.

So, if you want, the word PGP is inaccurate and overall chosen, but it should just say, what the programm is about.
I don't know, which expression we could use instead, i think Pretty Good Privacy is a nice name, and at least some people know what openPGP means.
It works similar too... on the mathematical problem - factorization of big numbers.

but... the detail how the encrypting sequence exactly works, is anyway not interesting for an ordinary user.
It's safe and mathematically there is no effective way to break the encryption, with the current keysize.

i hope i could give you some satisfying information.

greetings

Last edited:

jurtsche

Oct 29, 2011
I was alerted to this app and was asked to write a review about it.

I did. I've been asked to paste it in this thread.

Here it is. Your app is terrible dude.

thanks for your review.
the design will surely be improved ^^
i shoud study design instead of informatics.... :D

but the functionality should work perfect, in lite too... you wrote:
Let me explain. I managed to successfully add my friend's PGP public key to the app so I could send him an encrypted text, however we soon discoverd that this was some kind of bizarre fluke. Try as we might, we could absolutely not get my public PGP key into my friend's copy of PGP SMS Lite, rendering him completely incapable of replying to the message I'd been able to send him via a stroke of fortune thus that I feel if I play half a line of numbers on the lottery I'll win anyway.

I discovered that the lite version don't work correctly if you have 3rd party sms apps - like go sms pro.
the priority of incoming sms is in the lite version lower than in pro version...
and if you have for example go sms pro, pgp sms doesnt work correctly, because "go sms pro" intercepts the sms flow.
i surely will fix this in lite version.

there is a spam protection in requesting keys. if the same number requests a public key in less than 1 hour, just the text of the request comes through - i will change this too in a text like "number xy has already requested the public key in the last hour, answering cancel'd"

if you are interested in testing\reviewing the paid version for free, let me know.

Last edited:
Reactions: darkfloo

Hacre

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
May 29, 2010
Northwich
thanks for your review.

I discovered that the lite version don't work correctly if you have 3rd party sms apps - like go sms pro.
the priority of incoming sms is in the lite version lower than in pro version...
and if you have for example go sms pro, pgp sms doesnt work correctly, because "go sms pro" intercepts the sms flow.

there is a spam protection in requesting keys. if the same number requests a public key in less than 1 hour, just the text of the request comes through - i will change this too in a text like "number xy has already requested the public key in the last hour, answering cancel'd"

if you are interested in testing\reviewing the paid version for free, let me know.

Unless you count all non AOSP SMS apps as "3rd party", the only SMS app I have installed is what came with Touchwiz.

edit: I'll gladly review the paid version, amateur journalism is a hobby of mine after all, but don't expect it to be a resounding recommendation if the paid version works flawlessly while the "lite" version remains a pile of poo.

Last edited:
Reactions: astoncheah

jerdog

Admin Emeritus - Purveyor of word nuggets
The problem is not at you, it seems to be at your friends phone.
Because you said, you got his key without problems. ;)

Well, I am in the same boat as Hacre. I too am using stock SMS app (Touchwiz) and while he could add my key, I could never add his - though it did show up in the stock SMS app but never went to your app.

Reactions: astoncheah

jurtsche

Oct 29, 2011
Well, I am in the same boat as Hacre. I too am using stock SMS app (Touchwiz) and while he could add my key, I could never add his - though it did show up in the stock SMS app but never went to your app.

I updated the version. Normally it should work now with installed third party apps too.

Last edited:

GerManiac

Jun 3, 2006
I will give it a try this weekend if it works with mysms or has there already been experience with that?

otherwise a really cool idea :D

GerManiac

Jun 3, 2006
Sure thing...

2 devices: gNexus (4.2) and Nexus S (4.1.2)

1. Both have mysms and pgp sms lite installed

2. Created and shared keys on both

3. Send to each device, through your app, an encrypted sms

4. Nothing happens

User error?

Reactions: jurtsche

jurtsche

Oct 29, 2011
Sure thing...

2 devices: gNexus (4.2) and Nexus S (4.1.2)

1. Both have mysms and pgp sms lite installed

2. Created and shared keys on both

3. Send to each device, through your app, an encrypted sms

4. Nothing happens

User error?

thx.
sharing worked for both and receiving didn't work for the gNexus (4.2)?

GerManiac

Jun 3, 2006
Ah, now I understand. Just cleared the apps and tried again.

/4.1.2 got the message that 4.2 shared the key

/4.1.2 got request from 4.2 to share key (also shared that from 4.1.2 before), 4.1.2 responded and sent the key, however does not arrive on 4.2

My bad did not read the toast on time.

So seems to be a 4.2 issue

---------- Post added at 03:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:17 PM ----------

Willing to test it later again if you would like me to... Got to go... Pfiat Di :D

Reactions: jurtsche

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    PGP SMS
    PGP SMS lite

- write and get secure messages with pgp encryption
    - totaly over sms
    - public-key infrastructure (PKI)

If you want to share sensitive data with someone, others should not be able to spy the data. To reach this goal we created this app.

With this app, an attacker, who probably intercepted the sms to get its content, cannot get any information from the content because the message is encrypted.

Functionality:
    A Keypair is created.
    With the Public Key you encrypt a message.
    With the Private Key you decrypt an encrypted message.
    You send your Public Key to the person which wants to send you an encrypted message. The person encrypts the message with your Public Key and sends the encrypted Message to you. ONLY YOU can decrypt the encrypted Message with your Private Key.

Instruction to send encrypted messages:
    - your friend shares you his public key
    - now you can send him an encrypted message

Instruction to get encrypted messages
    - you share your public key to the person which wants to send you an encrypted message.

If you have suggestions, feel free to contact us. :)

coming features:
    - choose keysize
    - revoke old shared public key

keywords: privacy, encryption, private, public, keys, secure, sms, pgp, gpg, message, crypted, encrypted, secret, encoded, decoded.

thanks for your review.

Let me explain. I managed to successfully add my friend's PGP public key to the app so I could send him an encrypted text, however we soon discoverd that this was some kind of bizarre fluke. Try as we might, we could absolutely not get my public PGP key into my friend's copy of PGP SMS Lite, rendering him completely incapable of replying to the message I'd been able to send him via a stroke of fortune thus that I feel if I play half a line of numbers on the lottery I'll win anyway.

thanks for your review.

Unless you count all non AOSP SMS apps as "3rd party", the only SMS app I have installed is what came with Touchwiz.

edit: I'll gladly review the paid version, amateur journalism is a hobby of mine after all, but don't expect it to be a resounding recommendation if the paid version works flawlessly while the "lite" version remains a pile of poo.
    The problem is not at you, it seems to be at your friends phone.
    Because you said, you got his key without problems. ;)