[MOD] GPS improvement

Search This thread

hamdogg

May 14, 2012
New Zealand
www.youtube.com
So I was wondering why the GPS take about 10 seconds to lock on to area sat's, and found that there is no region set for our Ultra. This is usually the case with international devices.. So this mod will enable you GPS hardware to skip the location lock which takes about 5 seconds, and then will find your region stat's.

Since applying this, I've noticed my GPS lock has cut down to a few seconds, where it used to take up to 10 seconds... sometimes even 20 seconds in my car.

Prerequisite:
You must know where you live!

Notes:

You may not see a faster result at first try. Your device may have to redownload the gps data. Ensure you have a data connection.

Instructions:

0 - Download and extract the zip folder (onto your Ultra)
1 - Find out which region you live in... then copy the region folder (Africa, Asia, Europe, North America, Oceania, South America)
2 - ... and paste the folder into the following directory: system/etc/
3 - Give the folder the following permissions:

Download:

LINK

If you've found this useful a simple "Thanks" will suffice :good:

Last edited:

pTeronaut

May 28, 2012
Lafayette, IN
Really? From the reviews & the screenshots it appears to be a rip of Faster GPS, (and making money from Ad revenue.)

---------- Post added at 04:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:09 PM ----------

So I was wondering why the GPS take about 10 seconds to lock on to area sat's, and found that there is no region set for our Ultra. This is usually the case with international devices.. So this mod will enable you GPS hardware to skip the location lock which takes about 5 seconds, and then will find your region stat's....

...If you've found this useful a simple "Thanks" will suffice :good:
Yes, I know what the last line says. ;)

Thank you for the heads up, I have a C6806, and my GPS lock is rapid without this app,

However, I travel to the UK to visit family on occasion and the last time I did so, I failed to get a lock with my NA Samsung Galaxy Note (SGH-i717), so this app should be useful the next time that I'm over there by letting me switch my GPS region set to one more compatible with that location.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So I was wondering why the GPS take about 10 seconds to lock on to area sat's, and found that there is no region set for our Ultra. This is usually the case with international devices.. So this mod will enable you GPS hardware to skip the location lock which takes about 5 seconds, and then will find your region stat's.

Since applying this, I've noticed my GPS lock has cut down to a few seconds, where it used to take up to 10 seconds... sometimes even 20 seconds in my car.

Prerequisite:
    You must know where you live!

Notes:

You may not see a faster result at first try. Your device may have to redownload the gps data. Ensure you have a data connection.

Instructions:

0 - Download and extract the zip folder (onto your Ultra)
    1 - Find out which region you live in... then copy the region folder (Africa, Asia, Europe, North America, Oceania, South America)
    2 - ... and paste the folder into the following directory: system/etc/
    3 - Give the folder the following permissions:

Download:

LINK

If you've found this useful a simple "Thanks" will suffice :good:
    yeah let me know if it works for Asia.
    I just copied the satellite data off line, and pasted it into these folders for Android... so it should be fine. :fingers-crossed:

oddly I was looking at this yesterday or the day before and already have an oceania folder in my dev stuff.
    This app does same thing but allows you to choose you location first - good for including onto roms :) https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.fastergps

Sent from my C6833 using Tapatalk