[GUIDE] Restore Bootloader Bricked S3 to Stock Firmware AFTER 4.3 update. No Jtag

Search This thread
Hello, I know there are many threads on restoring a bricked S3, some of them for hard bricks, and some for soft bricks. None of the guides I found by scouring these forums provided all of the answers I needed.

INFO PLEASE READ ALL

Here I hope to outline how I restored my T999 Tmobile S3 to stock firmware after the 4.3 MJC update, and after bootloader bricking the phone. I do assume you are capable of using ADB, ODIN and TWRP. I believe this method will work for other S3 models, but I have no ability to test it. If it will work, firmware and debrick IMGs will have to be found for the specific device. The T999 firmware and IMGs will NOT work with other devices. This will restore to stock UVUEMJC 4.3 firmware. Will not be rooted, but existing 4.3 roots for the device should work.

I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE TO YOUR DEVICE. THE TOOLS USED IN THIS GUIDE HAVE THE POTENTIAL TO BRICK, OR OTHERWISE DAMAGE YOUR DEVICE. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK

So as context, I had been flashing different ROMS; then I updated to stock 4.3 UVUEMJC Firmware. This updated the bootloader, and installed the Samsung KNOX security upgrade. Both the bootloader and the KNOX are problems regarding rooting, rom installation, and downgrading (which I still have not achieved)

After upgrading, I installed a vanilla rootbox. I then attempted to flash the UVDMD5 bootloader at mnasledov's thread here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2282603

Lacking my present understanding, of the 4.3/KNOX problems, I managed to brick my phone by effectively attempting to downgrade the bootloader. Phone appeared to be hard bricked.

I tried many things to fix the phone, these are what worked:

GUIDE:

1. Get a Class 10 MicroSD card and follow KAsp3rd's guide to boot from the SD card: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2439367

You should now be able to boot to download mode, recover, and system if it was undamaged when you bricked your phone.

2. Boot into download mode and install TWRP via ODIN

3. Boot into your new TWRP recovery. Do an ADB sideload of the KNOX removal script found in Kaito95's thread here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2507931 Check the clear cache and clear dalvik recovery boxes. You have to do an ADB sideload, because your SD card is in use as a bootloader.

4. Use ODIN with Download Mode to Re-Partion by flashing the PIT file found in invisiblek's downloads here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1848267

The Re-Partition box will have to be checked, and the PIT file loaded under Re-Partition. This is what I believe corrected the download mod fails I had been getting.

5. Use ODIN and Download mode to flash the original UVUEMJC firmware found in DocHoliday77's thread here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1949687

6. In TWRP do a factory reset, and a fix permissions. Reboot into system, (without the SD card)

If all went well you should be in business!

If you see any error in my guide, or have another correction, please let me know. If I have posted this in the wrong section I'll be happy to move it.

I hope this helps you.

ROOTING:

So after fixing my phone via the steps above, I still wanted to root it. To root it I simply ODIN flashed mrRobinson's rooted/deKNOXED 4.3 stock rom from here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1771687
It seemed very stable to me.

I then decided to use TWRP to install the CyanogenMod 10.2. If you choose to install CM, I believe you must use the 10.2 branch, because it is 4.3 based. Prior versions are not 4.3, and won't work with the 4.3 bootloaders. You can find the appropriate CM download by selecting your device here: http://download.cyanogenmod.org/ The T999 is d2tmo.

EDIT: YOU CAN RUN OLDER VERSIONS AFTER UPDATING TO 4.3.
This was pointed out to me by Adreaver. I personally am using rootbox 4.2.2 after having done the 4.3 official update. Any rom for the device should work, but certain lines may need be removed form the updater script. I am still looking into this.

NOTES

This has been confirmed to work on the T999L, but you need a different PIT file, and different firmware for the model. See @mrspock08 's post on page 2 of this thread for more info on the T999L

THANKS

I could not have debricked my phone or created this guide without referencing and using the work of several fine members of this forum. Particular thanks to:

@mnasledov for providing a thread with information about bootloaders.
@KAsp3rd for providing a way to boot from the SD card, enabling the entire rest of the debrick.
@Kaito95 for the deKNOX script.
@invisiblek for the PIT file for correctly repartitioning the phone.
@DocHoliday77 for the MJC 4.3 Stock Firmware mirror.
@mrRobinson for the rooted MJC Stock firmware
@Adreaver for correcting me that you can run an older version of android
And the threads of many many others who's work I read through while learning about how all of this works.

Last edited:

Adreaver

Jun 12, 2012
New London
Nice writeup. I assumed that a bootloader brick was the point of no return, thanks for proving me wrong.

Worth noting that you can flash any d2tmo ROM on the new bootloaders, even cm9 or 4.0.4 tw, but you may need to remove asserts from the updater-script.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: TronMinecraft
Great tutorial. An extreme amount of time went into this I can see. Hopefully it'll be able to get @DocHoliday77 back up and running tho. I miss that guy!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I spent a few days on it, I hope it helps people. I hope it gets Him back up and running, his MJC mirror was instrumental in my fix.

Nice writeup. I assumed that a bootloader brick was the point of no return, thanks for proving me wrong.

Worth noting that you can flash any d2tmo ROM on the new bootloaders, even cm9 or 4.0.4 tw, but you may need to remove asserts from the updater-script.

For most phones the bootloader brick would require JTAG; fortunately several of the Samsungs have the SD as default boot.

And you can flash older ROMs? I was unaware of this; every attempt I've made to run something older has resulted in a getprop(ro.bootloader) error. But that updater script assert makes sense. Thank's for letting me know. I'll check that out and add it to the OP

Last edited:

SignalX

Jun 25, 2011
Darkness
so what?
i want to update my phone to T999UVUEMJC 4.3 firmware
currently i'm on T999UVDMD5 4.1.2
is it safe to update using Odin?

sorry for noob question

mrspock08

Jul 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Restoring bootloader to bricked S3 T999L

Here I hope to outline how I restored my T999 Tmobile S3 to stock firmware after the 4.3 MJC update, and after bootloader bricking the phone. I do assume you are capable of using ADB, ODIN and TWRP. I believe this method will work for other S3 models, but I have no ability to test it. If it will work, firmware and debrick IMGs will have to be found for the specific device. The T999 firmware and IMGs will NOT work with other devices. This will restore to stock UVUEMJC 4.3 firmware. Will not be rooted, but existing 4.3 roots for the device should work.

Great guide, thanks a ton to @TronMinecraft for this writeup! I've been lucky and haven't bricked my S3 T999L (the T-Mobile LTE variant), but a relative wasn't so lucky. She took the OTA upgrade and when she wasn't happy with the result tried to just restore to her old 4.1.2 backup. Needless to say she bricked her phone.

So, I can confirm that this method DOES work on a T999L. However, there are a couple of things to note (these should be no-brainers, but in the interest of saving questions from the newbies out there...) Of course like Tron said, I take no responsibility for damage to your device should you try this. I can only tell you that it worked fine for me. Here's the things to watch out for, listed by the steps in the OP:

4. Make certain that you use the correct PIT file for the T999L. The proper PIT file for the T999L is the one DocHoliday uploaded here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1848267&page=3. Do not use the regular T999 PIT file from @invisiblek's first post in that thread, which is what was linked to in the OP.

5. Make sure you use the correct firmware for the T999L, NOT the T999. If you're trying to recover from a brick then most likely you're going to want the Original UVAMB7 firmware (JB 4.1.2), since it seems most bricks lately are caused by trying to downgrade after flashing the 4.3 update. Of course if you want to you can also flash the UVUBMK4 (4.3) firmware and get the complete stock 4.3 system, including the bootloader, KNOX, etc.

However, if you're just recovering from a brick and want 4.3 I would recommend not just flashing the UVUBMK4 firmware directly. Rather, I would flash the older UVAMB7 firmware, and then once your phone is back up and running flash DocHoliday77's UVUBMK4 4.3 Rooted, deodexed_KnoxFREE ROM from http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2370981&page=58. Once you've done that, just flash the updated modem from http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1880987 as needed. This way you end up with the full rooted version of the 4.3 firmware but without the 4.3 bootloader which includes KNOX and causes so many problems with downgrading.

Of course that's just my two cents. I've been running my S3 with DocHoliday's stock UVUBMK4, KnoxFree, rooted ROM with the UVAMB7 bootloader and UVUBMK4 radio for over a month now and haven't had any problems. As always, your mileage may vary.

Reactions: TronMinecraft
Great guide, thanks a ton to @TronMinecraft for this writeup! I've been lucky and haven't bricked my S3 T999L (the T-Mobile LTE variant), but a relative wasn't so lucky. She took the OTA upgrade and when she wasn't happy with the result tried to just restore to her old 4.1.2 backup. Needless to say she bricked her phone.

So, I can confirm that this method DOES work on a T999L. However, there are a couple of things to note....

Thank you for confirming this worked for somebody else. I'm working on a slightly re-factored version of this based on input, and I'll be sure to note your findings about the T999L. Thanks!

so what?
i want to update my phone to T999UVUEMJC 4.3 firmware
currently i'm on T999UVDMD5 4.1.2
is it safe to update using Odin?

sorry for noob question

This really isn't quite the right place for such a question. A search will yield you great results.

But yes, there's no reason you couldn't if you're sure you have the right firmware for your GS3 model. However if you simply want a stock update, I'd just use the OTA update function, or kies. Its a bit safer than manually messing with Odin, and won't void your warranty.

FINNIX1996K

Feb 7, 2012
hi does this guide help downgrade a 4.3 without loosing imei ? thank you
hope to receive a answer to this noob question

Adreaver

Jun 12, 2012
New London
hi does this guide help downgrade a 4.3 without loosing imei ? thank you
hope to receive a answer to this noob question

You CAN NOT DOWNGRADE 4.3.

This guide is to unbrick you and return you to 4.3 if you tried to downgrade (which won't work, ever).

Actually, from my own experimentation you were right, you can in fact downgrade from 4.3. You just can't flash a rom that tries to change the bootloader. You cannot downgrade the 4.3 bootloader; but there isn't any reason why you can't run an earlier version of android.

I am currently running 4.2.2 rootbox AFTER having having done the official 4.3 update.
I did this with TWRP, and a rootbox flashable zip.

Last edited:

Adreaver

Jun 12, 2012
New London
Actually, from my own experimentation you were right, you can in fact downgrade from 4.3. You just can't flash a rom that tries to change the bootloader. You cannot downgrade the 4.3 bootloader; but there isn't any reason why you can't run an earlier version of android.

I am currently running 4.2.2 rootbox AFTER having having done the official 4.3 update.
I did this with TWRP, and a rootbox flashable zip.

You did not downgrade. You flashed a custom ROM.

An example of downgrading would be a user on md5 flashing ljc with Odin. This puts bootloader, ROM, kernel, and baseband exactly as Samsung intended when LJC was released.

Sent from my Cleared Out T999L on CM11

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello, I know there are many threads on restoring a bricked S3, some of them for hard bricks, and some for soft bricks. None of the guides I found by scouring these forums provided all of the answers I needed.

INFO PLEASE READ ALL

I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE TO YOUR DEVICE. THE TOOLS USED IN THIS GUIDE HAVE THE POTENTIAL TO BRICK, OR OTHERWISE DAMAGE YOUR DEVICE. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK

So as context, I had been flashing different ROMS; then I updated to stock 4.3 UVUEMJC Firmware. This updated the bootloader, and installed the Samsung KNOX security upgrade. Both the bootloader and the KNOX are problems regarding rooting, rom installation, and downgrading (which I still have not achieved)

After upgrading, I installed a vanilla rootbox. I then attempted to flash the UVDMD5 bootloader at mnasledov's thread here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2282603

Lacking my present understanding, of the 4.3/KNOX problems, I managed to brick my phone by effectively attempting to downgrade the bootloader. Phone appeared to be hard bricked.

I tried many things to fix the phone, these are what worked:

GUIDE:

1. Get a Class 10 MicroSD card and follow KAsp3rd's guide to boot from the SD card: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2439367

You should now be able to boot to download mode, recover, and system if it was undamaged when you bricked your phone.

2. Boot into download mode and install TWRP via ODIN

3. Boot into your new TWRP recovery. Do an ADB sideload of the KNOX removal script found in Kaito95's thread here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2507931 Check the clear cache and clear dalvik recovery boxes. You have to do an ADB sideload, because your SD card is in use as a bootloader.

4. Use ODIN with Download Mode to Re-Partion by flashing the PIT file found in invisiblek's downloads here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1848267

The Re-Partition box will have to be checked, and the PIT file loaded under Re-Partition. This is what I believe corrected the download mod fails I had been getting.

5. Use ODIN and Download mode to flash the original UVUEMJC firmware found in DocHoliday77's thread here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1949687

6. In TWRP do a factory reset, and a fix permissions. Reboot into system, (without the SD card)

If all went well you should be in business!

If you see any error in my guide, or have another correction, please let me know. If I have posted this in the wrong section I'll be happy to move it.

I hope this helps you.

ROOTING:

So after fixing my phone via the steps above, I still wanted to root it. To root it I simply ODIN flashed mrRobinson's rooted/deKNOXED 4.3 stock rom from here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1771687
    It seemed very stable to me.

I then decided to use TWRP to install the CyanogenMod 10.2. If you choose to install CM, I believe you must use the 10.2 branch, because it is 4.3 based. Prior versions are not 4.3, and won't work with the 4.3 bootloaders. You can find the appropriate CM download by selecting your device here: http://download.cyanogenmod.org/ The T999 is d2tmo.

EDIT: YOU CAN RUN OLDER VERSIONS AFTER UPDATING TO 4.3.
    This was pointed out to me by Adreaver. I personally am using rootbox 4.2.2 after having done the 4.3 official update. Any rom for the device should work, but certain lines may need be removed form the updater script. I am still looking into this.

NOTES

This has been confirmed to work on the T999L, but you need a different PIT file, and different firmware for the model. See @mrspock08 's post on page 2 of this thread for more info on the T999L

THANKS

I could not have debricked my phone or created this guide without referencing and using the work of several fine members of this forum. Particular thanks to:

@mnasledov for providing a thread with information about bootloaders.
    @KAsp3rd for providing a way to boot from the SD card, enabling the entire rest of the debrick.
    @Kaito95 for the deKNOX script.
    @invisiblek for the PIT file for correctly repartitioning the phone.
    @DocHoliday77 for the MJC 4.3 Stock Firmware mirror.
    @mrRobinson for the rooted MJC Stock firmware
    @Adreaver for correcting me that you can run an older version of android
    And the threads of many many others who's work I read through while learning about how all of this works.
    Nice guide. I think @DocHoliday77 could use this method because I believe he bricked his phone the same way.

Oh, and I believe you might have made a typo SDB is actually ADB Android debug bridge.
    Great tutorial. An extreme amount of time went into this I can see. Hopefully it'll be able to get @DocHoliday77 back up and running tho. I miss that guy!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Of course! You're right, a typo on my part. Thanks for pointing that out!

No problem, I made more then 1 mistake when I made my first page. So your doing good with only 1.
    If you can find what you flashed when it bricked it'll be a big help. I'm guessing it was probably something not meant for this device and ended up flashing over sbl1 or one of the modemst partitions. But it's just a guess unless we can take a look at what you had flashed.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk