Pro 8.4 or N7?

Search This thread

MrBewst

Jan 15, 2012
Looking for some help here to push me one way or another. I just can't make up my mind right now based on the current pricing and pros/cons. I am finding the 32GB N7 for $200 new at a local store. The Pro 8.4 is $330 local (+$25 play store credit). I don't have time to wait for the Nexus 8 or to buy online (but I'm not finding much better online).

Can anyone that has experience with both N7 and Pro 8.4 give some thoughts as to what they like better between the two? My main question, is the extra $105/130 worth it? This will be my first tablet so I'm also concerned that the 7" isn't enough to bridge the gap between my Galaxy Nexus and my laptop. The middle point would be 10" which favors the 8.4.

Thanks in advance!

RavenY2K3

Nov 13, 2006
8" is the sweet spot I think, granted you won't get the latest updates at the same speed like the Nexus will, but I "personally" think the Samsung Tab is the one to go for, I got mine as I wanted a newer tablet than my Note 8.0 (which I sold my 10.1 to buy) the only device I would swap mine for, is if Sammy made an 8.4 Note. The tab has a way better screen and expandable memory, just those 2 things alone are enough to sway me.

Reactions: MrBewst

xdm9mm

Dec 11, 2013
I just bought the Tab Pro 8 (instead of the newer Tab S) this morning.

I have also looked at the Nexus 7 and the LG G Pad. I think you get more bang for your buck with the Sammy. It has a better looking screen too.

MrBewst

Jan 15, 2012
Thanks for the replies, guys. :good:

I also didn't consider the other "Galaxy Perks". The Go-Go and Sirius XM perks have a little value to me too. While I missed the hell of a deal $250+$50 GC a few weeks back, comparatively speaking (edit: with the 7) I'm probably only looking at about a $75 difference in the end. It would be nice if I could find one for sub $300.

Rooting and knox-ing the Pro would be a given but just like my Galaxy Nexus, the dev support seems to be focused on the N7 - not so much the Pro. With 6 months left on the official support of the N7, it's hard to tell what device will last me longer. In the end, I'd be upgrading devices sometime next year probably.

Is the battery life manageable? I'm used to being tethered (or having 5 spare batteries around) with my Galaxy Nexus but still battery life is a concern. At the same time, I don't really plan on relying on this thing having both a phone and a computer handy 99% of the time.

Once again, thanks for your thoughts.

Last edited:

RavenY2K3

Nov 13, 2006
I have the LTE version so it constantly has a connection, battery lasts all day at least, with my usage (mainly business)

Reactions: MrBewst

xdm9mm

Dec 11, 2013
On my unrooted pro 8.4, battery lasted me a day. I use mine for internet and netflix. I got around 6 hours of screen time with about 40% battery left. that was the last time I checked it's battery.

I have just rooted my pro 8.4, and will see what happens.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    8" is the sweet spot I think, granted you won't get the latest updates at the same speed like the Nexus will, but I "personally" think the Samsung Tab is the one to go for, I got mine as I wanted a newer tablet than my Note 8.0 (which I sold my 10.1 to buy) the only device I would swap mine for, is if Sammy made an 8.4 Note. The tab has a way better screen and expandable memory, just those 2 things alone are enough to sway me.
    I have the LTE version so it constantly has a connection, battery lasts all day at least, with my usage (mainly business)