[GAME] Navy Wars (now in the Market)

Search This thread

BootsSiR

Jun 10, 2010
Halifax, NS
Hi everyone,

I've been working on a multiplayer game for a little while now and it's about to the point where I need to get some more people using it. It's called Navy Wars and it's a turn based game where you try to take out your opponents fleet.

Here are a few screen shots:
fsFun.png

k6oqc.png

2AyQL.png

The game is a work in progress, so there will be bugs and there will be changes. It was developed on a Nexus S, a Nexus One and a Nook Color. It hasn't had much exposure on other devices yet, so this should be a good test. If you run into any crashes, please email as much detail as you can to navywars@dogsbyte.net and also use the built in crash reporter being as detailed as you can be when submitting a report.

I think the game is pretty straight forward to play. If you register, post your username here so others can challenge you.

A few notes:
  • Just a heads up before you install the game, take note that it does use Google Analytics to collect anonymous usage data as well it can also send anonymous error reports to the server if an unexpected error occurs.
  • Also, this being a beta, there will be a reset of stats before the game goes public.
  • The final version will have a few undecided limitations with the option of purchasing the full game.
  • The beta version requires permissions to access your logs in the case of a crash!

Where to download

Live in Android Market
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.boots.betelgeuse

chart

Edit: The game requires at least Android 2.2

Edit: Follow on twitter for updates! - http://twitter.com/#!/navywars

Last edited:

Blou_Aap

Oct 28, 2010
Johannesburg
market.android.com
It is kind of funny that BootsSiR tried really hard not to mention that it's Battleship (well sort of).
You don't have to worry really, the game has never been properly patented (Hasbro own the board-game though).
Just Don't call it Battle Ships (Easy enough). Cool thing it's the same turn based style like words with friends and Wordfeud,
you are definitely onto something here, wish I could test and try it on my tablet (Honeycomb) but the link seems to be down :(.

EDIT: tried link via my 3G and it worked.
EDIT 2: Can't create Account. It doesn't matter what username I want to use, It's never available and won't let me
continue creating an account :(

Last edited:

BootsSiR

Jun 10, 2010
Halifax, NS
It is kind of funny that BootsSiR tried really hard not to mention that it's Battleship (well sort of).
You don't have to worry really, the game has never been properly patented (Hasbro own the board-game though).
Just Don't call it Battle Ships (Easy enough). Cool thing it's the same turn based style like words with friends and Wordfeud,
you are definitely onto something here, wish I could test and try it on my tablet (Honeycomb) but the link seems to be down :(.

EDIT: tried link via my 3G and it worked.
EDIT 2: Can't create Account. It doesn't matter what username I want to use, It's never available and won't let me
continue creating an account :(

Make sure your username is at least two characters long and is only letters and numbers. Let me know if that works :)

BootsSiR

Jun 10, 2010
Halifax, NS
Received a few good detailed error reports but a lot of ones with no user comments. Please leave as much detail as you can!

BootsSiR

Jun 10, 2010
Halifax, NS
Just published a new build (R190)

The app now sends a brief logcat capture when you submit a crash report. This code will be gone in the final version but it'll help me troubleshoot problems.

Crash1912

Jan 21, 2011
I gave this a try last night and played a game with Wayne.
Really liked the game and love the idea, I did however find some issues as I was playing.

One suggestion I would like to add is the ability to play against a computer if you are pressed for time or some place where you don't have good Wifi/Data coverage. I also noticed there is no way to disable to sounds, I generally like to do that on most games I play. I did figure out I could turn down the media volume but then need to remember to turn it back up later for anything that needs it.

I was playing this on my rooted HTC Legend running CM7. First thing I noticed was that when I was adding a friend to attack. The box for the name and buttons were being cut off, see screenshot attached.
The other thing I noticed was that it didn't show me the 'Enemy Accuracy' / 'Fleet Strength' / 'Accuracy' / 'Hits' levels for some reason.

Other than that it was really good and I enjoyed it. Going to try playing some more to identify issues.

Attachments

• attack_friend.png
    attack_friend.png
    33.4 KB · Views: 411
Reactions: BootsSiR

BootsSiR

Jun 10, 2010
Halifax, NS
Really liked the game and love the idea, I did however find some issues as I was playing.

One suggestion I would like to add is the ability to play against a computer if you are pressed for time or some place where you don't have good Wifi/Data coverage. I also noticed there is no way to disable to sounds, I generally like to do that on most games I play. I did figure out I could turn down the media volume but then need to remember to turn it back up later for anything that needs it.

I was playing this on my rooted HTC Legend running CM7. First thing I noticed was that when I was adding a friend to attack. The box for the name and buttons were being cut off, see screenshot attached.
The other thing I noticed was that it didn't show me the 'Enemy Accuracy' / 'Fleet Strength' / 'Accuracy' / 'Hits' levels for some reason.

Other than that it was really good and I enjoyed it. Going to try playing some more to identify issues.

There is an options screen in the works to control volume/notifications. I'll have to look into why the buttons are cut off on that screen like that. Single player will also come in a future version! I appreciate the feedback!

BootsSiR

Jun 10, 2010
Halifax, NS
1.00-R198 just published. There is now a preferences screen under menu on the player home screen. You can toggle sound and/or notifications.

shaxs

Aug 16, 2010
I have a question that is more technical. How did you decide to implement the multiplayer? I am researching the best way to implement turn based multiplayer for my game and any help would be appreciated :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi everyone,

I've been working on a multiplayer game for a little while now and it's about to the point where I need to get some more people using it. It's called Navy Wars and it's a turn based game where you try to take out your opponents fleet.

Here are a few screen shots:
    fsFun.png

k6oqc.png

2AyQL.png

The game is a work in progress, so there will be bugs and there will be changes. It was developed on a Nexus S, a Nexus One and a Nook Color. It hasn't had much exposure on other devices yet, so this should be a good test. If you run into any crashes, please email as much detail as you can to navywars@dogsbyte.net and also use the built in crash reporter being as detailed as you can be when submitting a report.

I think the game is pretty straight forward to play. If you register, post your username here so others can challenge you.

A few notes:
    • Just a heads up before you install the game, take note that it does use Google Analytics to collect anonymous usage data as well it can also send anonymous error reports to the server if an unexpected error occurs.
    • Also, this being a beta, there will be a reset of stats before the game goes public.
    • The final version will have a few undecided limitations with the option of purchasing the full game.
    • The beta version requires permissions to access your logs in the case of a crash!

Where to download

Live in Android Market
    https://market.android.com/details?id=com.boots.betelgeuse

chart

Edit: The game requires at least Android 2.2

Edit: Follow on twitter for updates! - http://twitter.com/#!/navywars

I just published a new build that fixed a situation where your device may not receive notifications :)
    any issues yet?

Is 'single player' mode available?
    Can this game be played without internet but just by pairing 2 android devices together? (via Wifi / bluetooth) - this would be great so I can have battles with my kid ;)