where to get the usb data cable for cheap.

Search This thread

eduardmc

Sep 18, 2007
i cannot believe how expensive this transformer data cable are. Only need a spare usb cable without the charger but everywhere it seems to overprice. Where are you guys getting it from?

dilligaf

Nov 2, 2005
St. Louis
What is overpriced to you? Without that info, others won't know if they should post their price. I got one off eBay for $12. But, only because I bought the charger with all power adapters from same person at same time for too much money ;)

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

eduardmc

Sep 18, 2007
What is overpriced to you? Without that info, others won't know if they should post their price. I got one off eBay for $12. But, only because I bought the charger with all power adapters from same person at same time for too much money ;)

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

i search and the $12 i have found all are aftermark brands. You can buy a ipad cable for $3 why are this cables for asus transformer so expensive. Even if it is for transformer 1 since they are basically same cable.

Doktaphex

Oct 18, 2010
Earth
Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 Lite
i search and the $12 i have found all are aftermark brands. You can buy a ipad cable for $3 why are this cables for asus transformer so expensive. Even if it is for transformer 1 since they are basically same cable.

Because there are millions more people with any idevice than Transformer/Transformer Prime devices. Simple economics really, they can sell them for less as they are made in higher quantities which makes their production cheaper, and they'll sell way more of them.

gbmitchell

Jun 18, 2006
Alabama
blake.pm
Because there are millions more people with any idevice than Transformer/Transformer Prime devices. Simple economics really, they can sell them for less as they are made in higher quantities which makes their production cheaper, and they'll sell way more of them.

While that is how economics works when referring to production costs, I doubt that is the real reason. There is truth no doubt but the difference in cost is not that great. I think it is more of there is less demand so there are less people making them, so there is less competition and they can get away with charging more.

I don't know why I am arguing with you. It is just semantics. Anyway, I find it annoying.

almightywhacko

Aug 18, 2010
The real reason that iPad wires are so much cheaper than Transformer Prime wires is that a lot more companies make 3rd party iPad cables.

If you are in competition with a dozen other vendors of the same product, you drop the price to stay competitive and if enough companies are making a given product eventually the price drops to just above manufacturing cost.

Only one other company (that I can find) is making 3rd party Transformer cables, so as long as they price themselves lower than Asus's first-party cable they have no real pressure to drop their price lower.

Andy T11

Mar 9, 2011
I bought a complete TF101 charger (also compatible with TF201) for 30 from Office Depot.
I figured I can always use an extra USB charger along with the data cable.

almightywhacko

Aug 18, 2010
Does anyone know if the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 cables are compatible?

They look the same as the Asus cables in photos and they both seem to be based of of the PDMI standard. If the Galaxy Tab cables work, those are available from more locations and at more reasonable prices.

Popsiclestand

Dec 8, 2010
Culver City, CA
What i am currently using is a USB 3.0 extension cable i got off Amazon for 6 or 7 bucks if i recall correctly (bought i way back in my tf101 days). Plug one end into the charging block, plug the tfp cable into the other end. Mine snaps in snuggly and needs some force to disconnect (if you r worried about that sort of thing). Works perfectly.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using xda premium