Battery Drain while on charger

Search This thread

Spiteful Monkey

May 23, 2008
Has anyone noticed that the tablet will drain the battery under use even on the charger?

I was quite surprised by this. Light use yields a charge but native gaming (not streaming) produces a power deficit. Something such as the Face demo will drain the battery in under a hour even on charge. Games such as Half Life 2 I have noticed will yield 5-6 hours of use from 100% to dead.

I have ordered a good 18 awg charge cable and solid 4.8 amp plug I am going to test with it. I have a usb voltage/amp meter coming as well to see what it is pulling during charge and use.

To this extent, I wish they had included an actual charge port to negate the over draw.

abnormaIity

Jul 21, 2014
Toronto
This happens to me but only if I'm plugged in via PC usb slot, wall charger is the only thing that seems to not drain battery while plugged in for me.

rushless

Jan 16, 2008
So far the answer to any heavy app use is No, based on Geforce forum feedback. Not even the wall charger. Some even reporting net negative charges with less demanding tasks.

Reactions: Bryandu13

aznmode

Jun 23, 2007
Mine drains when plugged in too playing half life 2.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Voltron ish

Sep 1, 2014
I can pretty much play everything while I'm plugged into the wall without battery drain.

Sent from my Nexus 5

I'm in no way calling you a liar, but you seem to be the only one who can gain a charge. Any chance you can play portal plugged in and capture it with Shadowplay showing the positive charge?

That way those of us affected can get our chargers rma'd.

Last edited:

abnormaIity

Jul 21, 2014
Toronto
I bought a HDMI cord yesterday to hook up to my tv. Tablet cant hold the charge while being casted onto my T.V. siiiiiigggh. I wasnt even playing Portal either I was just playing Trine this morning.

Last edited:

rushless

Jan 16, 2008
I'm in no way calling you a liar, but you seem to be the only one who can gain a charge. Any chance you can play portal plugged in and capture it with Shadowplay showing the positive charge?

That way those of us affected can get our chargers rma'd.
Whatever the reason, apparently the only person stating a net positive charge. Lucky charger? ;)

BTW, Trine is a GPU hog, so also a heavy app.

Spiteful Monkey

May 23, 2008
Not happy to know this tablet will be useless after the battery reaches a certain cycle count. I won't even be able to use it as a wall tethered device via the charger. With it depleting the battery constantly, the charge cycles are going to add up quick.

metalmansam

Jul 25, 2010
San Antonio
Im on v1.1 and for me just streaming netflix in console mode hooked up to my tv using the included charger and cable and starting from a full charge will cause significant battery drain. I almost made it through streaming season 1 of SOA and it died in the middle of the last episode. And it doesnt seem to charge in console mode even when its just idleing. I have to pull the HDMI cable to get it to charge back up. The stock charger is putting out 5.2 volts and 2.1 amps I wonder how much power you could push through the micro USB port before it fries something. Im going to try ordering a 3 amp charger off amazon and see if it still does that. I found a 5 amp one but I dont want to mess anything up. I couldn't see gaming on this thing for very long like this witch is pretty disappointing. If I try to play trine in console mode it kills the battery much quicker and it gets pretty warm. I was hoping to use this thing more like a android TV device than a tablet and just leave it hooked up to my TV streaming video most of the time. I bought the shield controller and a Bluetooth keyboard for it and it works out really well except for the battery drain. Hopefully the new charger will solve this.

Edit:
After doing a bit of research into the "usb fast chargers" it turns out they are all fakes. Some ads are just a little confusing because they do put out more power but its just spread across multiple ports while others just tell you lies to get you to buy their product. Truth is they all charge at either 1 or 2.1 amps per usb port max. The only real fast charger is for the oppo find 7a witch has 7 pins in its usb port. So this might be kinda hopeless.

Last edited:

IRKONIK

Feb 5, 2013
Pyongyang
Edit:
After doing a bit of research into the "usb fast chargers" it turns out they are all fakes. Some ads are just a little confusing because they do put out more power but its just spread across multiple ports while others just tell you lies to get you to buy their product. Truth is they all charge at either 1 or 2.1 amps per usb port max. The only real fast charger is for the oppo find 7a witch has 7 pins in its usb port. So this might be kinda hopeless.

This is old news. If the current would be higher, the plug wouldn't be safe. I don't understand how Nvidia could be so "foolish" and forget a seperate charging solution, especially considering their computer GPUs can take up to 2x8 Pin 12V.

Just another reason why I will wait until there are more news about the second batch and the next Nexus. :(

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So far the answer to any heavy app use is No, based on Geforce forum feedback. Not even the wall charger. Some even reporting net negative charges with less demanding tasks.
    I don't want to sound rude, but I can't not call bullsh*t.
    Yes, a cable with a higher diameter can make a difference, as well as a charger with a higher output.
    But: there are standards you have to fulfill, unless you don't plan on getting it certified by the fcc and other instances.
    The maximum at 5V for micro USB power delivery is 10W (or 2A). For tablets also 18W at 12 (Standard USB. Not micro, not mini). But since the tablet only accept micro USB, I don't believe it'll draw more than 2A.

If you draw 3A via micro USB the plug gets hot. (that's why they only allow 2A).

Unless Nvidia doesn't care about those laws/standards, I just can't believe what you say.

Or they changed the laws in the last 2 years (which is unlikely.)

Cheers

Sent from my HTC One (M8)

It is rude, but I have not kept my post here updated. So here is my post on Nvidia's Forums from a few days ago.

There seems to be more to the issue. Now that I'm back home and have the equipment to test this tablet, I'm seeing a ton of inconstancy.

As I said above, the tablet will only take a 1.6 amp max draw under any condition but tends to jump all over the place. Even at 80% with heavy use the tablet tends to only draw around 1.1 to 1.2 amps at times. Other times it will draw a full 1.6. There appears to be no rhyme or reason to when it chooses to draw what it does. I have tested it from 20%, 80%, 100%. Reboots will at times get the tablet to pull what it should be, though I think a 2 amp draw would be better as we could net a positive charge under use then.

So Nvidia, you need to look in to this issue. It is definitely a problem. It should never pull that little under heavy use while the battery is not charged. The fact it is easily replicated should help as I would wager it effects all units.

I'm happy to discuss this with anyone on the thread, but I am only interested in actual testing with the proper equipment. If you have it, test it as I have and lets compare our findings. Not that it would make any difference unless you are running a custom kernel , but I'm looking for stock 1.1 tablet findings.
    I never once posted or said it was drawing more then 2 amps. The Nvidia converter box isn't that great either. I was simply stating that better quality parts netted a better result for me. Shortly after, I started to notice the amperage draw inconstancy. At first I thought it might be heat related until I did some more testing using a infrared thermometer on the back of the unit during charge and charge with use. The temps played no part in the amp draw from my findings on my tablet.

I think this is both a software and hardware issue. If you have testing results that differ from mine, please feel free to share. The purpose of this threads was to get info from everyone.

Here it is over there https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/769134/shield-tablet/battery-drains-faster-then-being-charged-when-playing-normal-android-games/15/