How to Optimize battery drain?

Search This thread

sonalikagaur

Jan 9, 2011
Hello,
I use Tytung's ICS 4.0.4 for my T-Mobile HTC HD2 (NAND), I've been using this ROM for months.
As such there is no problem with functioning of the ROM.
But my battery drains at a very fast rate. With 6hrs of use it drains to 20% at lowest brightness and no major applications running (2 applications in background at most).
Data enabled (2G).
What to do? Please help!!

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC HD2 using XDA Premium.

Nigeldg

Feb 25, 2011
Can you download CurrentWidget from the Play store and give a value in mA? If you mean 6hrs without any usage then that's pretty poor. Try turning on airplane mode to determine whether it's an app or one of your connections that's causing the problem.

In currentwidget, the values should be approximately 4mA drain in standby with any connections enabled and 2mA in standby in airplane mode. Screen on drain varies a lot more.

sonalikagaur

Jan 9, 2011
With screen OFF, networks ON, 2g enabled....drain is 6mA.
With screen OFF, airplane mode ...drain is 5mA.
:(

Nigeldg

Feb 25, 2011
That's high but shouldn't be causing a drain of 20% in 6 hours. It's probably just draining a lot when you're using the phone, and there's not much you can do other than turning the brightness down which you've done already.

Reactions: sonalikagaur

eliaskammas

Mar 20, 2012
try wiping battery stats through recovery...fully charge your battery then wipe stats and let your battery to get fully discharge before you connect it to a charger for about a week...My battery never lasted more than a half day before doing this...now it lasts more than a day...Hope this works

NYLimited

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jan 5, 2008
New Hampshire, USA
try wiping battery stats through recovery...

I wonder if this myth will ever die..

Google engineer Dianne Hackberry has talked about several myths about the Android operating system, including wiping battery stats.

The reasoning behind that piece of advice was something like this: If you, at some point, did not charge your Android device fully (for example, only to 80%), it would supposedly remember that battery level as “fully charged” – in this case, you’d only ever get to use 80% of your battery, which is of course less than optimal. So, if you wipe the battery stats, usually done in ClockWord Mod Recovery, the device would “forget” the previous level, here 80%, and instead charge to the full 100% once again, thereby re-calibrating the battery. Or, as Hackborn puts it in more technical terms:

The battery indicator in the status/notification bar is a reflection of the batterystats.bin file in the data/system/ directory.

However, as she explains, that’s not the case. Because those battery stats, stored in the batterystats.bin file, are only used to maintain information about what is using the battery when not recharging. That is, it essentially holds the information displayed in the Settings > Battery screen. Nothing more, nothing less. Thus:

It has no impact on the current battery level shown to you.

It has no impact on your battery life.

What’s more, you’ve probably noticed that the battery usage data is reset once you recharge your device anyway. From this you can correctly deduce that the battery stats are wiped as well – every time your device is recharged. More or less every day. If there was any effect, you would’ve noticed it without going into recovery and doing that stuff. Typical placebo, eh?

---
I’m as confused as a baby in a topless bar...

Nigeldg

Feb 25, 2011
^Whenever someone asks 'how do I reduce my battery drain', ten people immediately jump in with 'CALIBRATE!!11oneeleven!'. No hate directed at whoever posted that advice here, I understand how easy it is to be misinformed (as I was about using SetCPU ;) ), I just think that rumours like this are too easily presented as facts.

Kameirus

Feb 5, 2010
Akron Ohio

Google engineer Dianne Hackberry has talked about several myths about the Android operating system, including wiping battery stats.

The reasoning behind that piece of advice was something like this: If you, at some point, did not charge your Android device fully (for example, only to 80%), it would supposedly remember that battery level as “fully charged” – in this case, you’d only ever get to use 80% of your battery, which is of course less than optimal. So, if you wipe the battery stats, usually done in ClockWord Mod Recovery, the device would “forget” the previous level, here 80%, and instead charge to the full 100% once again, thereby re-calibrating the battery. Or, as Hackborn puts it in more technical terms:

The battery indicator in the status/notification bar is a reflection of the batterystats.bin file in the data/system/ directory.

However, as she explains, that’s not the case. Because those battery stats, stored in the batterystats.bin file, are only used to maintain information about what is using the battery when not recharging. That is, it essentially holds the information displayed in the Settings > Battery screen. Nothing more, nothing less. Thus:

What’s more, you’ve probably noticed that the battery usage data is reset once you recharge your device anyway. From this you can correctly deduce that the battery stats are wiped as well – every time your device is recharged. More or less every day. If there was any effect, you would’ve noticed it without going into recovery and doing that stuff. Typical placebo, eh?

---

LOL i was just gonna post but ya beat me to it
i will just add the link to the xda news post about it

http://www.xda-developers.com/andro...-battery-stats-does-not-improve-battery-life/

NYLimited

Jan 5, 2008
New Hampshire, USA
^Whenever someone asks 'how do I reduce my battery drain', ten people immediately jump in with 'CALIBRATE!!11oneeleven!'. No hate directed at whoever posted that advice here, I understand how easy it is to be misinformed (as I was about using SetCPU ;) ), I just think that rumours like this are too easily presented as facts.

And I shall not tell you how many times I did erase that bloody file before I too learned the truth. :crying:

http://www.xda-developers.com/andro...-battery-stats-does-not-improve-battery-life/

Want me to go back and erase it for ya? No biggie... :D

Reactions: Kameirus

sonalikagaur

Jan 9, 2011
Lol... :D
When one doesn't know a thing, he can be easily fooled about it.

Anyways ...Learnt something new today... :thumbup:
Thank you everyone.

NYLimited

Jan 5, 2008
New Hampshire, USA

eliaskammas

Mar 20, 2012
to sonalikagaur....
obviously as the guys say don't bother trying my advice
to everyone...
at least now I know not to tell anyone about battery stats again...but now there is a wonder in my head...what made my battery last longer than it did before? I wasn't kidding that it lasts half a day longer than before...obviously battery stats didn't make the job...what did.? :-/

Last edited:

sonalikagaur

Jan 9, 2011
to sonalikagaur....
obviously as the guys say don't bother trying my advice
to everyone...
at least now I know not to tell anyone about battery stats again...but now there is a wonder in my head...what made my battery last longer than it did before? I wasn't kidding that it lasts half a day longer than before...obviously battery stats didn't make the job...what did.? :-/

I found out something.... usually I used to keep my 2G ON the whole day...but when I switched my data OFF when not in use...my 6hrs...20% battery remaining changed to 8hrs..n 75% remaining.
That's a huge difference. :)

Can anyone suggest a good app for this? Switching my data OFF automatically when not in use .!!

NYLimited

Jan 5, 2008
New Hampshire, USA
I found out something.... usually I used to keep my 2G ON the whole day...but when I switched my data OFF when not in use...my 6hrs...20% battery remaining changed to 8hrs..n 75% remaining.
That's a huge difference. :)

Can anyone suggest a good app for this? Switching my data OFF automatically when not in use .!!

I would guess that many so called "battery saver" apps might have it, not really sure.
I don't turn off data when not in use automatically but I do use Tasker to turn it off for several hours while I sleep.

Nigeldg

Feb 25, 2011
I would guess that many so called "battery saver" apps might have it, not really sure.
I don't turn off data when not in use automatically but I do use Tasker to turn it off for several hours while I sleep.
Yeah Tasker can do this but it's a paid app. Juice Defender is free and can also do the same thing in this case. I agree that Tasker is awesome but not necessarily for saving battery, more for ease of use.

Realalist

Feb 21, 2011
Washington,DC

Could your go into more detail about you're previous misinformation about SetCPU?

Sent from my ZeJstersHD2 using xda premium

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    try wiping battery stats through recovery...

---
    That's high but shouldn't be causing a drain of 20% in 6 hours. It's probably just draining a lot when you're using the phone, and there's not much you can do other than turning the brightness down which you've done already.
    try wiping battery stats through recovery...fully charge your battery then wipe stats and let your battery to get fully discharge before you connect it to a charger for about a week...My battery never lasted more than a half day before doing this...now it lasts more than a day...Hope this works

---

And I shall not tell you how many times I did erase that bloody file before I too learned the truth. :crying:

Want me to go back and erase it for ya? No biggie... :D