[Tutorial] Phone Calls on Verizon Tab (both incoming + outgoing)

Search This thread

boodafli

Jun 7, 2011
*this is for intellectual purposes only. i'm not responsible if you break your TOS with Verizon, and so on and so forth.*

(this is based on google voice, which is US and (maybe canada?) only. i think the same process would work with another VOIP type account, so like if you pay for vonage, or something, you can create an extension on the pbxes.org site, and then follow the same steps, but putting in the VOIP info instead of the google voice info, for those of you who are rocking the big VZW internationally.

to make calls: (outbound)

1. if you don't already have a google voice account, get one.
2. download dialer one.
3.download sipdroid.
4. download the google voice apk (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22394327/gv4232.apk)
5. go to google voice on the computer, and add your tab's 'phone number' (found under the about device->status->device number. it'll act like it needs to verify some stuff to work, but it doesn't, really.
6. go through the set up on your device. (keep repeating the set up, and eventually, it'll tell you that it can't configure voicemail.)
7. open sipdroid. at the bottom of the screen, there'll be a button that says 'link pbx to existing gv account'. hit that, and enter your password.
8. go to pbxes.org (on your computer) and log in with the username and password you just created.
9. click 'extensions'. choose the sip 200 link
10. change anything you need to change, like outbound caller ID or whatever.
11. open the settings in the sipdroid app
12. put the password in first, even though it's second on the list.
13. put in your username with a -200. so if your username is flamingo, you'd put in flamingo-200.
14. set it to use wlan only, or wlan and 3g, if you've got a decent dataplan.
15. exit out of settings
16. put in a phone number and hit enter.
17. enjoy having outgoing phone-call abilities on your Verizon Tab.

(as far as I know, you don't need root for any of this. I'm running a rooted, Better Than Life RC1 tab, so YMMV.)

ETA: inbound calling: (again, i think this is US and Canada only)

okay. now I have incoming calls on the google voice number. here's what i did.

1. go to https://secure.tpad.com/signup/ and sign up for a SIP number. it's free, near as i can tell. i didn't put in any billing information anywhere.

2. after you have your tpad SIP number, go to http://phone.ipkall.com/ and port your SIP number there, to get a free, us based phone number.

3. add that phone number to google voice.

4. open sipdroid on the phone, and select your second account option under settings.

5. put your tpad SIP number into the auth username part. put your password into the password part, and put sip.tpad.com as the server or proxy. leave everything else the same.

6. go back into google voice on the computer, and click verify.

7. answer your tab, and enter the verification code.

8. your SIP number now forwards to your ipkall number, which forwards to your google voice number, allowing you to get free incoming calls on your tab.

9. use your other device to call yourself, and feel clever. enjoy!

Last edited:

hexxamillion

Oct 4, 2008
Interesting. I can make outbound calls..still trying to figure out the echo issue on the receiving side.

As far as inbound..I feel I have this partially working. My IPKall does forward to my google voice...but what number do people dial to reach me at my tab? the Tpad number is not a 10 digit number and if you try to call my google voice it goes to the tablet but does not appear to connect after I accept the call.

boodafli

Jun 7, 2011
People call the google voice number. Make sure you don't have it set to go straight to voicemail or anything, in the google voice settings.

Swyped from my better than life galaxy tab

hexxamillion

Oct 4, 2008
People call the google voice number. Make sure you don't have it set to go straight to voicemail or anything, in the google voice settings.

I forgot to ask. Do you know a solution for the echo on the receiving end of the call. For example, I do not hear an echo but the receiver hears themselves echoing. I even tried adjusting the audio settings in SipDroid to all LOW. Just wondering if you found a workaround for this.

boodafli

Jun 7, 2011
hmmm. i didn't have an echo. but i used a wired mic/headset thingy. maybe bluetooth would work too?

boodafli

Jun 7, 2011
It should be there if you installed the google voice apk.

Reactions: k0sh

nagmier

Jun 5, 2010
Holiday
Very nice! Def going to have to try this out once my tab is running again.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using XDA Premium App

boodafli

Jun 7, 2011
lol. i play fast and easy with the thanks button. i use it like the like button on fb.

nagmier

Jun 5, 2010
Holiday
Tried it on my GTab today and got it working! Well outbound calls anyways, I haven't started on inbound yet awesome job on the write up!

jphilpot

Jul 8, 2010
It does work indeed. The only issue i have found is that most of the time mz voice is super choppy to others but i can hear them.fine. I have sipdroid set to high qaulity...

Any other ideas?

Sent from my GT-P1000 using XDA Premium App

boodafli

Jun 7, 2011
It does work indeed. The only issue i have found is that most of the time mz voice is super choppy to others but i can hear them.fine. I have sipdroid set to high qaulity...

Any other ideas?

if you're using the mic on the tab, quality is going to be fairly ****e. i don't think it's a high quality mic at all, just the bare bones for voice search/accessibility features, you know? i plugged in my OLD SCHOOL wired blackberry earphone/mic set, and that seemed to improve things.

o2sys

May 17, 2011
So what does this get charged as for the airtime usage?

Date or Minutes?

I currently only pay $20/mo for 1GB...

jphilpot

Jul 8, 2010
Data.. And i think it is around 64kb

I would say about the same usage as streaming low qaulity music.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    *this is for intellectual purposes only. i'm not responsible if you break your TOS with Verizon, and so on and so forth.*

(this is based on google voice, which is US and (maybe canada?) only. i think the same process would work with another VOIP type account, so like if you pay for vonage, or something, you can create an extension on the pbxes.org site, and then follow the same steps, but putting in the VOIP info instead of the google voice info, for those of you who are rocking the big VZW internationally.

to make calls: (outbound)

1. if you don't already have a google voice account, get one.
    2. download dialer one.
    3.download sipdroid.
    4. download the google voice apk (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22394327/gv4232.apk)
    5. go to google voice on the computer, and add your tab's 'phone number' (found under the about device->status->device number. it'll act like it needs to verify some stuff to work, but it doesn't, really.
    6. go through the set up on your device. (keep repeating the set up, and eventually, it'll tell you that it can't configure voicemail.)
    7. open sipdroid. at the bottom of the screen, there'll be a button that says 'link pbx to existing gv account'. hit that, and enter your password.
    8. go to pbxes.org (on your computer) and log in with the username and password you just created.
    9. click 'extensions'. choose the sip 200 link
    10. change anything you need to change, like outbound caller ID or whatever.
    11. open the settings in the sipdroid app
    12. put the password in first, even though it's second on the list.
    13. put in your username with a -200. so if your username is flamingo, you'd put in flamingo-200.
    14. set it to use wlan only, or wlan and 3g, if you've got a decent dataplan.
    15. exit out of settings
    16. put in a phone number and hit enter.
    17. enjoy having outgoing phone-call abilities on your Verizon Tab.

(as far as I know, you don't need root for any of this. I'm running a rooted, Better Than Life RC1 tab, so YMMV.)

ETA: inbound calling: (again, i think this is US and Canada only)

okay. now I have incoming calls on the google voice number. here's what i did.

1. go to https://secure.tpad.com/signup/ and sign up for a SIP number. it's free, near as i can tell. i didn't put in any billing information anywhere.

2. after you have your tpad SIP number, go to http://phone.ipkall.com/ and port your SIP number there, to get a free, us based phone number.

3. add that phone number to google voice.

4. open sipdroid on the phone, and select your second account option under settings.

5. put your tpad SIP number into the auth username part. put your password into the password part, and put sip.tpad.com as the server or proxy. leave everything else the same.

6. go back into google voice on the computer, and click verify.

7. answer your tab, and enter the verification code.

8. your SIP number now forwards to your ipkall number, which forwards to your google voice number, allowing you to get free incoming calls on your tab.

9. use your other device to call yourself, and feel clever. enjoy!
    i have GSM tab , but i hitted the thanks button , just because you'll help alot :) cheers

nice guide\job again ;)
    It should be there if you installed the google voice apk.