Will S-off void warranty?

Search This thread

HtcOneJon

Dec 5, 2013
I'm sorry but as I do with all these misconceptions I have to chime in here. Rooting, S-offing and installing custom roms cannot void a warranty as the warranty on an electrical item covers the hardware for faults, when not caused by human error.

If I install a custom ROM on a phone, and then the screen stops working, which has happened to me countless times in the past, I will simply send it to HTC and they repair it.

HTC, Carphonewarehouse, Orange, and Phones4u in the UK have never refused me a repair on a phone or indeed a replacement due to s-off or a custom ROM,

I traded in my old M7 with Venom rom on, S-off in phones4u, to get my M8 and they didn't even flinch at that either.

I am not saying anything beyond, most people asking this will s-off anyway, and if you really are scared of losing your warranty, you'll also find a way of getting it back to s-on and locked too.

matoneo

Oct 8, 2010
Czech service center's attitude: Due to UNLOCKED bootloader, warranty is void for motherboard. They treat the custom ROM as a SW damage. Although they've replaced the display (faulty pixels) under warranty.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I don't see how S-OFF would void your warranty as some units were legitimately shipped S-OFF, just make sure the bootloader is locked

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    most people will need to unlock thier device via HTC dev prior to s off which will leave a record unique to thier phone which means that waranty will be void so even if all trace of s off and unlocked bootloader is removed, HTC will still be able to cross reference and say no.

Some will be lucky enough to use the method for s off which avoids the need for HTC dev unlock so these people will be able to s off and keep thier warranty providing they retuirn to stock :)

Not necessarily. Just because you've requested the token, who's to say you've used it? If the phone is 100% stock, locked and S-ON HTC can't prove anything - unless the unlock process itself sends something to HTC to say it's been unlocked, in which case they'll know