Uninstalling bloatware on the M8 help

Search This thread

The_persian

Feb 8, 2014
Annapolis
So i rooted my phone and installed an app called "Uninstall" that deletes the bloatware and it worked... until I powered it off then on and then I saw the bloatware return. I even tried different apps to get rid of the bloatware with no luck. Please help

an0ther

Sep 21, 2013
Just flash a Rom. All the work is already done for you.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

brianray14

Jan 29, 2011
Bradenton
So i rooted my phone and installed an app called "Uninstall" that deletes the bloatware and it worked... until I powered it off then on and then I saw the bloatware return. I even tried different apps to get rid of the bloatware with no luck. Please help

What good is a rooted phone if you don't have either titanium backup or ROM toolbox pro? Either one of those apps will do the trick if you'd like to remain stock. I personally have used ROM toolbox pro for years and prefer it over titanium backup because of it's UI which makes it more user friendly

The_persian

Feb 8, 2014
Annapolis
What good is a rooted phone if you don't have either titanium backup or ROM toolbox pro? Either one of those apps will do the trick if you'd like to remain stock. I personally have used ROM toolbox pro for years and prefer it over titanium backup because of it's UI which makes it more user friendly
I did use Titanium Backup with no luck either

brianray14

Jan 29, 2011
Bradenton
I did use Titanium Backup with no luck either

Ok, I'm not exactly sure how the internal file system is set up as I've yet to receive my M8 but if it's anything like the previous android file systems (which I'm guessing is the case), you can use a file explorer (root explorer, ES explorer, Astro explorer) to navigate to /system/app. You may have to switch R/O to R/W within the file explorer depending on which file explorer you choose to make changes to the internal card. Within the /system/app folder, you'll see all the system apks. BE VERY CAREFUL to NOT delete things you are not absolutely positively sure about. Deleting the wrong app may render your device useless so do be careful. If you do not see the bloat apks you're looking for, navigate back to the internal root directory and search for /data/app. Here is where the other apks should be stored. Perhaps the file system is a little different but i've used 4.4.2 on several different phones and it has been the same structure.

The_persian

Feb 8, 2014
Annapolis
Ok, I'm not exactly sure how the internal file system is set up as I've yet to receive my M8 but if it's anything like the previous android file systems (which I'm guessing is the case), you can use a file explorer (root explorer, ES explorer, Astro explorer) to navigate to /system/app. You may have to switch R/O to R/W within the file explorer depending on which file explorer you choose to make changes to the internal card. Within the /system/app folder, you'll see all the system apks. BE VERY CAREFUL to NOT delete things you are not absolutely positively sure about. Deleting the wrong app may render your device useless so do be careful. If you do not see the bloat apks you're looking for, navigate back to the internal root directory and search for /data/app. Here is where the other apks should be stored. Perhaps the file system is a little different but i've used 4.4.2 on several different phones and it has been the same structure.

Thanks anything else i should know

tcas55

Mar 21, 2011

I've used root explorer for years and I'm having the same problem. things are deleted and return upon reboot. I'm taking the earlier advice and installing a custom rom.

brianray14

Jan 29, 2011
Bradenton
I've used root explorer for years and I'm having the same problem. things are deleted and return upon reboot. I'm taking the earlier advice and installing a custom rom.

That is bizarre. Can't say I've ever encountered that. Custom Romage it is then. I'll need to hold off until a full stock restore with associated flag removals is an option

brianray14

Jan 29, 2011
Bradenton
xda user eyeamgreg managed to debloat and he was nice enough to shed some light on how he accomplished this. He said he s-OFFed, used cleaner master and for the apps cleaner master wouldn't remove, he used titanium backup. It appears that with s-ON, the apps will reappear upon deletion. If this works for ya, make sure you spank his thanks button

akitten007

May 3, 2011
xda user eyeamgreg managed to debloat and he was nice enough to shed some light on how he accomplished this. He said he s-OFFed, used cleaner master and for the apps cleaner master wouldn't remove, he used titanium backup. It appears that with s-ON, the apps will reappear upon deletion. If this works for ya, make sure you spank his thanks button

It might be because you can't write to the system partition, even with root. Flash this kernel over stock and you should be able to delete system apps, even with S-ON http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2705074