What's the difference between a Google Nexus 7 and a Asus Nexus 7

Search This thread

espionage724

Feb 8, 2010
wiki.realmofespionage.xyz
OnePlus 6
What is the backing of the N7 made of out? If it's a soft plastic, there is a good chance it might be possible to dye it pure black for anyone who wants. A clothing dye known as "Rit Dye" is pretty popular for dying soft plastics, and I had good experience with it making keyboard keys pure black.

brizey

Aug 6, 2011
Mine is a US Play Store and it too is dark brown and says brown on the box.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

CSDeeds

Aug 6, 2011
Very interesting. I got mine from the Google Store and it has the standard black back. This is the first I've heard about two version. Huh...

Evo_Shift

Jan 17, 2011
Why would Asus want to do this? It is pretty well known the tablet is selling for cost. What would asus gain other than hoping people like them for their next tablet?

My box says brown and i preordered before Google io started. Mine looks black. There is no way you could even mistake it for brown, even in the brightest sun.

Last edited:

Mutnat

Jun 2, 2011
Just got mine. It's brown. Pretty dark brown, but brown. And it says so on the sticker on the box too.

Google or Asus? What country are you in? Did you buy from the play store?

I'm in Canada, got from a national electronics chain called Future Shop (owned by Best Buy). The branding is more ASUS than I expected. The outer sleeve on the box mentions Asus, the back of the tablet says Asus and not Google, etc. The charger even has ASUS branding on it.

buzongtang

May 10, 2009
Mine is the black back. I ordered it from Office Depot and on the bottom part of the rubber backing the Asus brand name is engraved right in there. And in case anyone was wondering, model is ME370T. Least now we know for sure what became of the elusive eeepad memo :)

So are there other Nexus 7 out there with Google branding or do they all say Asus on the back?

Also, just fyi, as a side note, this tablet is not being sold at cost. According to the tear downs done on it, these tablets cost about $151 in hardware. It seems Chinese labor being as cheap as it is means that Asus and Google are both turning a nice profit from this line up. Especially with the 16Gb variant.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

toker_X1

Feb 1, 2009
London
My Nexus 7 ASUS arrived yesterday from car phone warehouse.
Invoice still states are 'brown', but is very close to black.

I have checked mine against my mates who ordered of Google Play UK and they are the same until you check them side by side under a desk lamp. There is a difference in colour, and the brown is clearly visible now.

Also by box states 'Nexus 7 ASUS, BRN, GL, GPS, 1GB DDR3L, NFC'
My mates has 'BLK' instead of BRN.

Given the choice I would have preferred Black but I didnt want to wait also for warranty/RMA CarPhoneWarehouse has lots of stores this would make it easier than calling Google support and posting tablets.

In the UK, it looks like Black is only available from Google store, all retailers lists it as Brown.

So far so good, I am happy with the Nexus 7. Battery life is very impressive. 4 hours of 720p HD viewing and still had 60% remaining.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium HD app

jphilippon

Apr 15, 2012
Ordered mine from the play store.

Box says "nexus7,brown, gl, gps, 1gddr3l,nfc" but it looks black.

United States. California. Ordered it on July 17.

This is really weird. It looks black even in direct sunlight so I don't mind. But strange nonetheless.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

Hemidroids

Dec 31, 2010
Sounds like another Google oops we f'd up.

Here's two lessons for Google don't use UPS or ASUS ever again.

Live learn and move on good thing I don't worry about stock updates. Buy a cheap device be prepared to pay the developers for what you need.

Why not use UPS? They get it there right on time. I paid for two day shipping and got two day shipping. What the heck could they do to make it better? They do EXACTLY what they said they would. I dont use anything but UPS.

ASUS could do better by not using so many third worlders but the price would be reflected in that decision. Are the masses going to pay 40% more for the same product?

flub

Nov 17, 2008
Are you people really that gullible? Do you believe everything you are told?

Google said there was 2 versions to try cover up the fact that they cocked up big time with deliveries, they are all Google Nexus

Rock-&-Roll-Hedgehog

Jul 7, 2012
My Nexus 7 ASUS arrived yesterday from car phone warehouse.
Invoice still states are 'brown', but is very close to black.

I have checked mine against my mates who ordered of Google Play UK and they are the same until you check them side by side under a desk lamp. There is a difference in colour, and the brown is clearly visible now.

Also by box states 'Nexus 7 ASUS, BRN, GL, GPS, 1GB DDR3L, NFC'
My mates has 'BLK' instead of BRN.

<snip>

In the UK, it looks like Black is only available from Google store, all retailers lists it as Brown.
Mine is brown & it came from the GooglePlay shop.

Evo_Shift

Jan 17, 2011
Mine is the black back. I ordered it from Office Depot and on the bottom part of the rubber backing the Asus brand name is engraved right in there. And in case anyone was wondering, model is ME370T. Least now we know for sure what became of the elusive eeepad memo :)

So are there other Nexus 7 out there with Google branding or do they all say Asus on the back?

Also, just fyi, as a side note, this tablet is not being sold at cost. According to the tear downs done on it, these tablets cost about $151 in hardware. It seems Chinese labor being as cheap as it is means that Asus and Google are both turning a nice profit from this line up. Especially with the 16Gb variant.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

The $151 is how much parts cost. Selling one for $151 would be losing money, even for asus.

GR36

Apr 1, 2011
Given the choice I would have preferred Black but I didnt want to wait also for warranty/RMA CarPhoneWarehouse has lots of stores this would make it easier than calling Google support and posting tablets.

I wouldn't bet on it. The Asus return procedure at cpw (they came from Asus not Google) is very long windid. If you make a return outside of 28 days you will get a repair it replacement. But will be without your tab for 14-28 days.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    My box says, "NEXUS 7 ASUS, BRN, GL, GPS, 1G DDR3L, NFC". I assume the BRN would stand for brown. And while it looks black to me, it could technically be a super dark brown vs a pure black (not that anyone's eyes would know the difference).
    What terrible lighting. I don't know what to make of this thread. Is there really a brown one?

Just got mine. It's brown. Pretty dark brown, but brown. And it says so on the sticker on the box too.
    My 27 June preorder from Playstore is labeled: NEXUS7,Brown,GL,GPS,1G DDR3L,NFC.

Darkest brown I ever saw - I would call it black.

Google does not manufacture the Nexus 7 - these are all Asus products.

Warrantee card says Asus - although I would go to Google if I had issues.

Here again, I would take what Google CS says with a grain of salt - these are just people, and possibly temps
    At this point, regular XDA posters know more about the product than Google CS does.