New LG Volt LS-740

Search This thread

NeoGraven

Jun 8, 2013
Just got this phone from Boost, comparable to the HTC Desire (ZaraCL). Seems to be a decent phone!

Has anyone done any work with it yet, as far as rooting and recovery?

Last edited:

NeoGraven

Jun 8, 2013
Gotta say, I'm liking this phone. Headphone volume is lower than my previous phones, and I don't like that the default font/DPI size makes everything look big. I set the font size lower so the fonts aren't do big and it looks much better to me. Battery life is pretty good, at the end of the day I'm around 70% after pretty hard usage (about an hour of music throughout the day, several phone calls, a good bit of web, and a lot of app usage). Not a lot of reasons to have root, other than to have control of your device. I need to make portable backups via TB but other than that I am satisfied thus far

Sent from my LGLS740 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

jbaggs75

Jun 7, 2013
Anyone know what stores are carrying this phone? I know I can get it online but would rather see it first.

Edit: I see Best Buy now has it on their website, but no local stores seem to have it

Last edited:

NeoGraven

Jun 8, 2013
A best buy sore here got it yesterday. If it helps, it's about the same physical size as the HTC desire or the moto g

NeoGraven

Jun 8, 2013
Compare: LG Volt vs Moto G vs HTC Desire 601

I left Virgin Mobile and went with Boost, leaving my HTC Desire 601 (Zara CL version) behind. When I went to Boost, I got the Moto G, and then purchased the LG Volt when it came out. Comparing this to the HTC Desire 601 from Virgin Mobile, the two phones are comparable. The LG Volt has a little bit bigger viewing area on screen, though the DPI is denser on the HTC so you see 'more' on the screen. Decreasing the font size on the LG helps this. The HTC Desire and Moto G are pretty much the same in this regard except that the Moto G has softkeys which take up some of your viewing area at the bottom of the screen. I would say the Volt and Desire601 are neck and neck, with the Moto G a little behind in this regard.

Videos look great, and the built in sound on the LG isn't bad either, though the HTC is noticeably better. Also, I noticed that the headphone volume on the LG is lower than what was on the HTC; not a deal breaker for me though, it's plenty loud. The Moto G is louder as well (it lets you exceed the 'safe' level), though the quality with built in speakers is about the same as the LG.

The speed seems on par with both the Moto G and HTC Desire 601. One thing I noticed is that both the Moto G and HTC Desire 601 have similar battery life which is pretty good. I can get a full day of fairly heavy usage out of either phone. With the LG, I can really push the usage and still have battery to spare at the end of the day.. to the tune of 40% or so, where the HTC and Moto would be around 10-20% for the same usage. This is attributed to the larger battery in the LG Volt.

The big difference of the three phones is that the Moto G is 3G only. The HTC and LG are both 4G. I think call quality is be a little better on the LG compared to the MotoG and HTC.

The LG does seem to be abel to handle WIFI better than the other two as well. Bluetooth works as expected.

The LG has better SD card handling than either of the other two; the MotoG has no SD Card capability so it automatically loses in that regard. The HTC is a pain to make use the SD card for what you need since it also employs an 'internal' SD card on top of the internal phone storage. The LG is straightforward and simple, you get phone storage and whatever your SD card is and it has a good 4GB available phone storage to begin with.

All in all, the MotoG is great if you need a really good but cheap phone. If you are like me and like having a little more under the hood, the LG Volt is a better bargain that the HTC Desire, but your plan will be a little more. Both Boost and Virgin Mobile give you unlimited text and data, but you can save a little on your monthly expense by sacrificing talk time with Virgin Mobile. One of the reasons I went to Boost (other than much better customer service) is so that I can get unlimited talk time cheaper than I can with Virgin Mobile.

Ruling: LG Volt from Boost is the best choice.

NeoGraven

Jun 8, 2013
I know this is off topic from your original post, but how is Boost service? I'm on Page Plus now, but can't find a phone that I like that works with them (I don't want to have to flash a phone).

I would classify Boost service as a 7, while classifying Virgin Mobile and Verizon as a 6. I haven't had dropped calls, though bad weather and such effects the quality of the call (granted, that will happen to just about any carrier). I've not had issues with receiving calls or texts, or getting dropped calls like I did with Verizon or Virgin Mobile if that helps any.

larrycl

Dec 28, 2009
Regarding root, I haven't tried this yet (too nervous), but would the following work?
In this XDA post http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=48709232&postcount=869&nocache=1&z=5419075393583626 about the LG G2, it implies that with KitKat 4.4.2, all you need to do to get root is (scroll to bottom of post for manual 4.4.2 method):

1. install the correct ADB drivers on your PC (I used the clockworkmod universal drivers)
2. adb devices (make sure your device is listed)
3. adb reboot recovery
(when booted in recovery, select: 'apply update from adb' with power button)
4. adb sideload kk_root.zip (you can extract this from ioroot25.zip)

The post implies this should be it! I took a look at kk_root.zip, and it is not very device specific; it just installs su, sudaemon, etc.
Anyone with more experience than me want to try this & report back?

Porrie17

May 26, 2014
Is it comparable to the GS2?

Just got this phone from Boost, comparable to the HTC Desire (ZaraCL). Seems to be a decent phone!

Has anyone done any work with it yet, as far as rooting and recovery?

How is it compared to the Samsung Galaxy S2? Any luck with rooting it? I'm kind of scared to give up my rooted GS2 in favor of a lesser phone (if it even is that)

vGlyph

May 29, 2013
Regarding root, I haven't tried this yet (too nervous), but would the following work?
In this XDA post http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=48709232&postcount=869&nocache=1&z=5419075393583626 about the LG G2, it implies that with KitKat 4.4.2, all you need to do to get root is (scroll to bottom of post for manual 4.4.2 method):

1. install the correct ADB drivers on your PC (I used the clockworkmod universal drivers)
2. adb devices (make sure your device is listed)
3. adb reboot recovery
(when booted in recovery, select: 'apply update from adb' with power button)
4. adb sideload kk_root.zip (you can extract this from ioroot25.zip)

The post implies this should be it! I took a look at kk_root.zip, and it is not very device specific; it just installs su, sudaemon, etc.
Anyone with more experience than me want to try this & report back?

I will try this if there's no risk of bricking or flagging. I can't afford to buy another if it doesn't work

NeoGraven

Jun 8, 2013
Well, Boost is doing their best of making a liar out of me. At some point over the last week, I barely have a signal. It was fine, but for several days is been weak or none. They may be doing tower work, in which case it should remedy itself (hopefully soon).

staknhalo

Oct 14, 2011
Just picked this up. The really only negative is the screen resolution, but it's no where near as bad as I thought it was gonan be w/text - so I'm happy and keeping it ?

Trozzul

Jun 21, 2012
Seattle
How is it compared to the Samsung Galaxy S2? Any luck with rooting it? I'm kind of scared to give up my rooted GS2 in favor of a lesser phone (if it even is that)

This is 10 billions time better than a Galaxy s2, it has the same specs as the Moto G (just bigger display) which is the same performance as a Galaxy s3, the s3 is a little tiny bit better

---------- Post added at 08:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:31 PM ----------

if anyone needs help getting CWM on it after they have rooted it ill help someone out.

NeoGraven

Jun 8, 2013
I haven't gotten around to looking at rooting yet, though I want to so I can have a recovery backup and root access. I may look in to it this weekend

Reactions: fastracer

jglm4u

Oct 12, 2011
Redmi Note 10 Pro
kinda regretting on getting this phone.

Don't get me wrong this is a great awesome phone but android without root kinda sucks *$$ ... Anybody find away to get this bad boy rooted? I been trying all kinda programs,guides hell even Chinese apps to get root but no luck:( ...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Thanks, I tried renameing Zone-Sprint.apk to bak, it but it still comes up

Hands Free Activation
    Waiting for Repy
    If you are not already working with a representative, select activate now

tries 5 times each boot

---------- Post added at 02:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:09 AM ----------

I went through 1 by one until I found it.

To disable the Hands Free Activation on the Boost Mobile LG Volt740 - rename the LGDMSClient.apk to .bak in the system/ app folder
    Nop, but I remember that happened when I started messing with gravity box. So I cleared the app data and took my time on selecting the only things I need. Everything is back to normal, just don't know what I enable inside the app to make the LG apps not usable.

But thanks for trying to help, :) now what's the benefit of getting the costume recovery? If I brick my device can I unbrick it since we have costume recovery?

Yeah, that is why you would want a custom recovery. However, having a custom recovery does not guarantee 100% brick protection. I'll explain what usually happens in your average "brick" event.

To understand this, you need to understand how Android works, which, this is the same with Linux and most other operating systems. When Android boots, the system immediately goes to the boot rom which immediately starts running the scripts and whatever else to begin the boot loader. The boot-loader then decides where it is you want to boot. If you're just starting your phone, it'll go to start the kernel, then the initializing scripts to run the system. If this is not where it goes, it'll go to run the scripts to run your recovery, or whatever other things it can run.

When we flash something, we're over-writing memory that is already on the phone forcibly. As you should well know, Android has a few partitions, /boot /system /recovery /data /cache and /misc. Boot, system, and recovery are considered Read-Only because they're the 3 most critical to making sure your phone works. /boot stores how the phone boots, loads the boot-loader, kernel, eventually leading us to go either into /system (your actual usable interface for SMS, phone calls, and facebook), or /recovery, where we can do maintenance. /data is where your apps and user data is stored. /cache is where a lot of system temporary files are stored and /misc is where a lot of system settings like region ID and what not is stored.

So. When we have a custom recovery, we are able to make images of most of these partitions. The recovery allows us to be able to flash these images onto the phone if for whatever reason one of them gets corrupted. From how I explained, you should be able to tell that /boot and /recovery then are two partitions that absolutely critical because /boot allows the phone to turn on and /recovery allows us to do maintenance if we mess something up by giving us the power to flash these images.

Now largely, if /boot or /recovery get messed up and if we take improper steps, we'll end up with a completely unusable phone. When flashing anything to /boot, which, usually you shouldn't have to, make sure that a new /boot image is actually on the phone (to the best of your ability) before you restart, otherwise, you aren't going to be able to fix this. If a bad recovery goes on, and prevents you from getting to recovery, depending on the phone, there may be some ways to get a recovery back on without needing to be in recovery. (You can't usually flash a recovery on while in recovery, so this one is fixable as well.)

So, learning from this, a very hard brick is when we have no /boot. At that point, we're pretty well ****ed and the phone is dead. Otherwise, with a custom recovery, it turns just about anything else that can happen into a soft brick.

Getting to the point: A custom recovery, as I said, is not a 100% protection against bricking your phone. However, it does allow us to fix just about anything that goes wrong with the phone via modding use. Root allows people to make changes to areas of the phone that we would otherwise not want changes to happen in. Some of these changes, depending on what you do, can result in a brick. This is because if a change was made in /system, and you try to factory reset using the standard recovery to fix it, android will delete the /data and /cache partitions and remake them based off /system. Which, at this point, you should understand that if /system is corrupt, that'll result in a non-workable phone. BUT, because we have our handy-dandy custom recovery, we can fix that. Because instead of just deleting the /data and /cache partitions, we'll just flash back on the old /system pre-changes. Which will result in a happy working android again.

That's why we want a custom recovery. Anyone who took the time to read this, please correct me where I'm wrong and clarify it.
    Since I am new to this thread, has any progress been made on that front?

I would say to read the thread, since I wrote a long post on the current state of the LG Volt. But to explain again, there has been progress made but we're kind of at a skill plateau.

User, danhalen1 I believe was the one who managed to crack the boot-loader and make it semi-usable. However, we have one big issue where the boot-loader isn't 100% open right now so we can't flash a recovery without getting a catastrophic error. We are able to run a live custom recovery (The same way you would run a live linux off a flash drive or CD), from what I've heard, that is capable of making images, I'm not sure about flashing images. You could call it half of a custom recovery, by all regards.

So, the problem we're facing is, there is just something in the code for the boot-loader that is not letting us do anything and no one is quite sure what it is. danhalen1, if I remember right, did say he was hoping someone more experienced would jump onto the LG Volt. This is honestly something we were all hoping for, but so far, I believe anyone more experienced is probably playing with higher end phones than the LG Volt. Even now, Virgin has the HTC Desire 816. HTC is very easy to mod, even having their own website to get a boot-loader unlock code from them. Considering the HTC Desire 816 also has better specifications than the Volt, it seems that more people are probably working on that. The Volt is nice, would be better with a custom rom, but unfortunantly, I don't think anyone with a lot of experience has any interest in the phone. We're kind of on our own over here.
    How many dang people in a row are going to ask the same damn thing? READ PEOPLE READ. Please people for the love of android learn how to use a forum.
    gonna try the new kk_root.zip file from the ioroot25 and try to use that instead of the update.zip file. just waiting on my sd card.