kies will not update firmware on rooted phone

Search This thread

kimusan

Dec 5, 2006
Hi
I have rooted my SGS3 using the ALLINONE root from SGS3 Toolkit (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1703488) and it works fine. About a month ago I got a notice about a firmware update and I installed it using kies. The root ofcause dissappeared but I used the toolkit to re-root the device. No problem so far.
a few days ago I got a new notice about another firmware update and wanted to install it using kies. Now however kies tells me that the device does not support upgrading (something with "initialising").
What can I do to get this firmware update installed?

gee2012

Recognized Contributor
Jul 13, 2010
Heerlen
Hi
I have rooted my SGS3 using the ALLINONE root from SGS3 Toolkit (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1703488) and it works fine. About a month ago I got a notice about a firmware update and I installed it using kies. The root ofcause dissappeared but I used the toolkit to re-root the device. No problem so far.
a few days ago I got a new notice about another firmware update and wanted to install it using kies. Now however kies tells me that the device does not support upgrading (something with "initialising").
What can I do to get this firmware update installed?

Post in Q&A :)
Reset the binary flashcounter with Triangle Away. Flash stockfirmware with Odin and perform a data factory reset after installation.Done. See my sig how to do it. Or flash the new rom with Mobile Odin Pro and keep root ;)

Last edited:

kimusan

Dec 5, 2006
Post in Q&A :)
Reset the binary flashcounter with Triangle Away. Flash stockfirmware with Odin and perform a data factory reset after installation.Done. See my sig how to do it. Or flash the new rom with Mobile Odin Pro and keep root ;)

Sorry for picking the wrong forum-group - not sure what happend there!

I wonder if the steps you describe will remove my settings/installed apps or not?

gee2012

Recognized Contributor
Jul 13, 2010
Heerlen
Sorry for picking the wrong forum-group - not sure what happend there!

I wonder if the steps you describe will remove my settings/installed apps or not?

Flashing stock rom wipes your settings. Make a choice, either get root and forget about Samsung updates or flash stock and forget about XDA, can`t have it both ;)

kimusan

Dec 5, 2006
I am not in it for the ROMs but merely for the rooting. In general I like the stock-rom as it is but do need to have the device rooted in order to use some apps.

gee2012

Recognized Contributor
Jul 13, 2010
Heerlen
I am not in it for the ROMs but merely for the rooting. In general I like the stock-rom as it is but do need to have the device rooted in order to use some apps.

Last time, once you have root you can no longer install OTA`s, you can however upgrade witk Kies provided you have no custom kernel. You will loose root and you may loose all your settings. So it will be easier for you to download the new rom from sammobile and install it with Mobile Odin Pro and keep root and loose no settings and files.

Reactions: Sadvance

SandroV1972

Apr 16, 2011
I have the same doubts/problems...
Where do I find in SamMobile the ROMs? Are those the zip under OTA files?

Do I the use Odin? Is there a guide somewhere? (I did search and ended up in this post)

Cheers

P.S. I read on SamMobile something about not being flashable via recovery (correct?)

Last edited:

starfish_001

Nov 4, 2005
Last time, once you have root you can no longer install OTA`s, you can however upgrade witk Kies provided you have no custom kernel. You will loose root and you may loose all your settings. So it will be easier for you to download the new rom from sammobile and install it with Mobile Odin Pro and keep root and loose no settings and files.

Based on my experience you can take an update via Kies or OTA with root as long as the stock rom remains intact (no major mods). I have generally upgraded with a stock kernel. I have mostly lost root or at least had to fix permissions each time.

The settings have remained intact each time (titanium should take care of this any way)

gee2012

Recognized Contributor
Jul 13, 2010
Heerlen
Based on my experience you can take an update via Kies or OTA with root as long as the stock rom remains intact (no major mods). I have generally upgraded with a stock kernel. I have mostly lost root or at least had to fix permissions each time.

The settings have remained intact each time (titanium should take care of this any way)

You can download OTA`s but you can not install it as you have a custom recovery.
You can upgrade with Kies but you`ll loose root and you have to reroot it.
If you install the updated rom with Mobile Odin Pro you`ll upgrade and keep root, that is what i`am trying to say ;)

starfish_001

Nov 4, 2005

You can download OTA`s but you can not install it as you have a custom recovery.
You can upgrade with Kies but you`ll loose root and you have to reroot it.
If you install the updated rom with Mobile Odin Pro you`ll upgrade and keep root, that is what i`am trying to say ;)

Cool ... I should have mentioned I have always had a stock recovery if sticking with stock Rom. Because as you say the updates don't work with non stock recovery

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.