[MOD] AT&T LG G2 KitKat Smaller Navigation Bar and Disable CarrierIQ

Search This thread

burningembers

Sep 11, 2010
Disclaimer: I typically modify to meet my own needs, on my own time, for my own device. This means that it might not be a mod meant for everyone, nor has it been thoroughly tested by anyone but myself. Use at your own risk.

Description: Modifies framework-res.apk in /system/framework to disable the loading of CarrierIQ on start-up as well as shrink the margins on the navigation bar for a little more screen real estate. This has only been tested and used on Stock AT&T LG G2 4.4 KitKat.

Link: https://db.tt/IoEgdIsr

Instructions: Back-up your current framework-res.apk in /system/framework then replace it with this one.

Notes:
  • CarrierIQ no longer shows 7 running processes via System Tuner on boot. To me, this indicates it is no longer being loaded. Otherwise, if you want, you can use System Tuner -> System -> Android System [Details] -> uncheck each of 7 CarrierIQ processes to do it manually.
  • This is a simple dimens.xml modification. Nothing major.

Last edited:

matthewcb4

Dec 17, 2010
After replacing file with root explorer I went into a boot loop... Now I am afraid that I am going to have to completely restore my phone.
I know this is pretty straight forward but your file didn't work.

P

podagee

need to know if anyone was successful with this mod yet. do not want to go into a bootloop or force closes.

P

podagee

gonna flag this because it just crashes phones..... i just did it and i really dont think its funny.

---------- Post added at 12:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:04 AM ----------

Do not do it a full restore i needed after applying this so called mod>

---------- Post added at 12:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:07 AM ----------

i am actually kind of mad that this messed up my phone and took multiple tries to get into download mode. now i have to redo everything.

gunlock4real

Mar 25, 2010
This work perfect for me, here how i did it
First backup my framework apk
second i copied the mod framework apk to system folder
then i set 644 permission for it
finally i move and replace it to framework folder
restart rightaway and it work

thanks OP for the mod file
btw maybe you should shrink the navbar a little less, it way too thin in my opion

Last edited:

joshuadjohnson22

Oct 27, 2011
Atlanta
gonna flag this because it just crashes phones..... i just did it and i really dont think its funny.

---------- Post added at 12:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:04 AM ----------

---------- Post added at 12:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:07 AM ----------

i am actually kind of mad that this messed up my phone and took multiple tries to get into download mode. now i have to redo everything.

This works great. Use root explorer and set permissions. Don't forget to make a nandroid backup if you can.

Download the apk from OP, then:

1. I copied over the framework after renaming it. (I just added a 2 at the end)
2. Then I set permissions (I just checked all the boxes... why not). At this point it would be a good idea to backup your original framework apk in case you want to restore.
3. Then I named it properly and over wrote the original (removed the 2)
4. I rebooted.

I somewhat disagree with the post above, I wouldn't mind it being a little smaller.

I am running this on the D800 running the androiduser's power user D802 base ROM.

@burningembers can you make one that will get rid of the volume and brightness sliders? Thanks!

Sent from my LG-D800 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Attachments

• 1394461760292.jpg
    1394461760292.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 1,281
Last edited:
Reactions: ousoonerchase

gunlock4real

Mar 25, 2010
This works great. Use root explorer and set permissions. Don't forget to make a nandroid backup if you can.

2. Then I set permissions (I just checked all the boxes... why not). At this point it would be a good idea to backup your original framework apk in case you want to restore.
4. I rebooted.

I somewhat disagree with the post above, I wouldn't mind it being a little smaller.

I am running this on the D800 running the androiduser's power user D802 base ROM.

@burningembers can you make one that will get rid of the volume and brightness sliders? Thanks!

the Navbar is fine in portrait but if you put the phone in landscape and you'll see the icon on it doesnt fix, it still ok but look amateur

th3g1z

Mar 29, 2011
Thanks heatshiver the nav bar smaller is nice. I'm still detecting Carrier IQ though .. Doing it manually with android tuner I would disable all of the items under android system? Thanks again bud

Edit: you probably already have this info but just in case or anyone else wanting to take a crack at totally disabling it (if possible)

Binaries:
/system/lib/libiq_client.so
/system/lib/libiq_service.so
*** Suspicious classes ***
com.carrieriq.iqagent.service.receivers.BootCompletedReceiver
*** Running processes ***
system 1531 269 537876 40732 ffffffff 00000000 S diagandroid.iqd

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

insomniakAD

Jun 12, 2012
thanks for this mod. I'll try this tonight after I flash the rom. I wouldn't mind a smaller nav bar too if you ever think of making another one.

EniGmA1987

Sep 21, 2010
This is a great mod, but remember that you cannot FULLY remove Carrier IQ from the ATT ROM. You can disable the services and prevent them from running which is what this does, and maybe it stops it all and maybe it doesnt IDK. But there is carrier IQ embedded into the UI code, the keyboard code, the messaging app code, etc. The only way to truly not have any Carrier IQ on your phone is to not run an ATT base ROM.

Reactions: spidey44
P

podagee

Thats weird cause i moved the framework mod into system/framework and set the permissions to rw--r--r and my screen started force closing and when i rebooted it stayed on the lg logo. Will try again later tonight

AyDee

Sep 30, 2010
Mobile
If you use adb you could push then reboot or if you're on a rom that has recovery you could create a zip.

P

podagee

Okay i dont think this can be applied to the d80020c because the people here are on different roms. Poweruser.tmo rom, and i seen another mention flashing a rom then doing this. Has anyone tried it on stock rooted kitkat and been successful cause im not

P

podagee

craashed my gotdamn phone again.

---------- Post added at 09:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:50 PM ----------

4. I rebooted.

cant rename and overwrite if its in the same folder guy

---------- Post added at 09:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:46 PM ----------

youbguys are full of it cause no matter what i do it crashes hard. the methods you guys are putting does not work......at all now stop it with this crap cause it DOES NOT WORK!!!!!

---------- Post added at 09:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:51 PM ----------

and the guy who made this says in the OP that its for stock kitkat......DOES NOT WORK BUDDY!!! tried 4 times with different file managers and the same thing...HARD CRASHES...

joshuadjohnson22

Oct 27, 2011
Atlanta

---------- Post added at 09:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:50 PM ----------

---------- Post added at 09:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:46 PM ----------

youbguys are full of it cause no matter what i do it crashes hard. the methods you guys are putting does not work......at all now stop it with this crap cause it DOES NOT WORK!!!!!

---------- Post added at 09:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:51 PM ----------

and the guy who made this says in the OP that its for stock kitkat......DOES NOT WORK BUDDY!!! tried 4 times with different file managers and the same thing...HARD CRASHES...

It worked perfectly for me when I did it the way above. I also went back to the original framework using this method. I'm not sure what you are doing wrong but at this point just use xposed (the Chinese leak found in the general section) and the G2 xposed module. That's what I am doing and I have a small nav bar.

Don't be mad at us, we were just reporting something we did that worked. If a few of us got it working and you did the problem is somewhere on your end not ours. So don't blame us, we gain nothing from lying. It may just be the ROM you are using

EDIT: it appears they closed that Chinese xposed thread for some reason. You may want to check out why but here is the link to the apk http://pan.baidu.com/s/1mgFNFc8 I haven't had any issues but it may cause issues with the lg launcher. Use this at you own risk... Good luck

Last edited:
Reactions: tonynmisty
P

podagee

It worked perfectly for me when I did it the way above. I also went back to the original framework using this method. I'm not sure what you are doing wrong but at this point just use xposed (the Chinese leak found in the general section) and the G2 xposed module. That's what I am doing and I have a small nav bar.

Don't be mad at us, we were just reporting something we did that worked. If a few of us got it working and you did the problem is somewhere on your end not ours. So don't blame us, we gain nothing from lying. It may just be the ROM you are using

EDIT: it appears they closed that Chinese xposed thread for some reason. You may want to check out why but here is the link to the apk http://pan.baidu.com/s/1mgFNFc8 I haven't had any issues but it may cause issues with the lg launcher. Use this at you own risk... Good luck

I'm using the d80020c. I tried over and over what u guys are saying to do and nothing works the op says stock Rom which is incorrect I take it u guys are on custom roms which make no sense cause they mostly have is remove

---------- Post added at 12:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:11 AM ----------

thanks for the link xposed installed. thank you.

Last edited:

XxZombiePikachu

Jul 25, 2013
Florida

The reason it was closed was because they were distributing work which was not there's without asking the creator

Reactions: joshuadjohnson22

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Disclaimer: I typically modify to meet my own needs, on my own time, for my own device. This means that it might not be a mod meant for everyone, nor has it been thoroughly tested by anyone but myself. Use at your own risk.

Description: Modifies framework-res.apk in /system/framework to disable the loading of CarrierIQ on start-up as well as shrink the margins on the navigation bar for a little more screen real estate. This has only been tested and used on Stock AT&T LG G2 4.4 KitKat.

Link: https://db.tt/IoEgdIsr

Instructions: Back-up your current framework-res.apk in /system/framework then replace it with this one.

Notes:
    • CarrierIQ no longer shows 7 running processes via System Tuner on boot. To me, this indicates it is no longer being loaded. Otherwise, if you want, you can use System Tuner -> System -> Android System [Details] -> uncheck each of 7 CarrierIQ processes to do it manually.
    • This is a simple dimens.xml modification. Nothing major.

4. I rebooted.

This is a great mod, but remember that you cannot FULLY remove Carrier IQ from the ATT ROM. You can disable the services and prevent them from running which is what this does, and maybe it stops it all and maybe it doesnt IDK. But there is carrier IQ embedded into the UI code, the keyboard code, the messaging app code, etc. The only way to truly not have any Carrier IQ on your phone is to not run an ATT base ROM.
    Do you need to be rooted for this?

Yes.

Sent from my LG-V500 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app