[APP] Nook Color Tweaks

Search This thread

les02jen17

Jun 10, 2011
Manila
has anyone been able to get the audio settings to work? it always freezes on me and then i have to reboot

I presume your talking about using the NookTweaks app in an ICS ROM. Well, mine too. I do hope they'll be able to work it out soon...

Tapatalkin' it from my rooted NookColor running CM7 MiRaGe [KANG] [7.2 RC] overclocked @ 1.2 GHz

merrychristmas

Jan 26, 2012
Singapore
I am really new to this but what does it mean when they Nook Color tweaks says "Kernel is not compatible with CPU settings. a newer build of Dalingrin's overclock kernel is required"

eventz

Jan 25, 2012
Oklahoma City
My mom purchased the rootmynookcolor optimized CM7 card for my birthday. It is the only thing I have not rooted myself, it did however come with this app which I really like. Just waiting on the moment to switch to CM9.

owen magnetic

Feb 12, 2012
London, UK
I presume your talking about using the NookTweaks app in an ICS ROM. Well, mine too. I do hope they'll be able to work it out soon...

Tapatalkin' it from my rooted NookColor running CM7 MiRaGe [KANG] [7.2 RC] overclocked @ 1.2 GHz

Will the non-audio performance tweaks in NookTweaks work with an ICS ROM? Or am I better off using the built-in CM9 performance settings?

Edit: another thread discussing NookTweaks on CM9, but doesn't talk about CPU settings: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1489121

Last edited:

zebular

Apr 3, 2012
So on CM 7.2 whats the fastest and most stable CPU stepping and voltage settings to get the highest quadrant scores?

munchy09

Jul 7, 2009
having issues with usb hosting

Hello,
I downloaded the nook tweaks and have really enjoyed it but I'm having issues with the usb hosting part. I have gotten an micro male usb to female usb adapter and connected a usb drive in it and my nook does not "see" the drive any thoughts on how to get it to work or any help would be appreciated?
Thank you

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Want to try to overclock to 1.3ghz+?
    Tired of the speaker not being loud enough?
    Tired of hiss and noise with your high sensitivity headphones?​

What is this?
    I have made a free app in the Android market to tweak a few things I've added to the Nook Color kernel. I hope to add more features to this app later. For now you can adjust:
    *CPU speed per stepping. Allows you to overclock as much or as little as you want.
    *CPU voltage control. Undervolt for better battery life and/or overvolt for better overclocking.
    *Headphone analog gain
    *External speaker analog gain
    *DAC gain
    *USB Host control(requires OC kernel 06/18/11+)
    *U-Boot control(courtesy of FatTire)​

What can I do with this?
    The CPU settings allow you to customize the CPU clock rate. With my overclock kernel the OMAP CPU has 5 OPPs(steppings) available. This app allows you to change the clock rate for each of those OPPs at runtime. Want to try to overclock to 1.3ghz? This app allows you to set the clock rate of your choosing.​

You can also use this app to help get rid of hiss and noise on your headphones. I have sensitive headphones and I find the hiss and noise to be downright abnoxious on the Nook Color. With B&N default settings, I can only turn up the "Android media" volume to 25-35% before its too loud. This means the volume difference between the noise floor and the audio is very small which makes the noise noticiable. To partially fix this issue you can either turn down the DAC volume in this app or turn down the headphone analog gain. I prefer to just turn down the headphone analog gain until I can increase the "Android media" volume to 85-90% for comfortable listening levels.

If the external speaker is too quiet you may need to increase the DAC gain. Note that this will also increase the headphone volume so you may need to subsequently decrease the headphone analog gain.​

Why use this app and not the other apps in the market?
    The primary advantage to using this app versus other more generic apps you might find in the market is that this app makes low level changes in the driver to increase volume. Other apps must make these changes in software to be hardware agnostic. This leads to reduced audio quality versus hardware level changes.​

Note: This app requires kernel support. For audio settings you will need a newer 2.6.32 kernel found in CM7 Nightly 88+ or my(Dalingrin) overclock kernel for B&N Froyo 1.2 and CM7.
    For CPU settings you will need a 2.6.32 overclocked kernel from 06/09/11 or later.

App updated with voltage control.
    Requires OC kernel from 06/30/11+
    I have been using the conservative governor for some time now, about 2 months and it has been vary stable and good battery life. recently I have switch to interactiveX and it has been awesome. this governor is great, super smooth no lag and so far battery life has been vary good, over night 7hrs and only 1-2% used. the ramping is responsive and performance with video and games has been great.
    For those wondering, CPU steps are available clock rates to the CPU governor. In our case we are using the Conservative governor. By default the governor will idle at the lowest stepping and ramp up to steppings 2-5 depending on the CPU load.
    The ramping is determined by CPU usage. If a task is using 85% CPU at your lowest stepping clock rate(300mhz by default) then the governor will start to ramp up the clock rate by going to the next stepping and so on.

Additionally you can choose the maximum stepping in Cyanogenmod performance settings.

Oh, and NEVER set the changes to automatically set on boot until you are absolutely positive its stable.
    FYI, CM7 nightly 87 does not have kernel support for this app yet. You will need to wait for the next nightly or you can use the OC kernel now.