[Q] Flash bootics.img on Xperia Play

Search This thread

Gianmark

Jan 29, 2013
Start by saying I'm very new about Android and smartphone in general.
Four days ago I got my first smartphone, a Xperia Play model R800i and some friends suggested me to install ICS. I searched on the internet and I have found the Xperia Play Development forum. There, I found a really interesting ROM called "New Express ICS".
I downloaded all the files and I started to follow the guide. I'm stuck at the second point (I believe this is ridiculous): I can't get into the Recovery Mode and I didn't get if I can flash the custom kernel (bootics.img) on flash tool.
I haven't rooted my phone, it's 100% virgin, yet.
Can someone explain me what to do? I'm searching answer here and on google for three days and I'm getting even more confused.
Sorry if my english is not perfect, it isn't my first language.

Last edited:

Gianmark

Jan 29, 2013
I rooted my phone and I found the superuser app on this. Then, I unlocked the bootloader and the superuser app disappered, is it normal?
One more thing, how I flash the custom kernel and the ROM, now?
EDIT: Fail, Superuser is installed, yet, I didn't notice that :p

EDIT2: Why I can't get into the recovery mode?

Last edited:

jeff7424

Oct 21, 2011
Georgetown, Penang
I rooted my phone and I found the superuser app on this. Then, I unlocked the bootloader and the superuser app disappered, is it normal?

I see you unlock your bootloader, good job! Place the ROM zip into your SD card first. Next, to get into recovery mode, just fastboot the kernel you want.
-Power off phone.
-Hold search button while connecting to PC via USB
-Open flashtool, click the thunderbolt icon, select fastboot
-Select kernel to flash (select your kernel bootics.img)
-Wait for 2 seconds and voila!

After that, power on your phone, when blue LED lights up with a vibration, spam volume button / back button (depends on kernel) then you'll be able to enter recovery

Reactions: Gianmark

eksasol

Nov 22, 2009

Again, read his guide on flashing kernel and roms: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2054512

Which kernel you flash is depended on the rom you want to use it with, you need to flash a GB kernel if you want to use GB rom, ICS kernel for ICS, etc, although some kernel are compatible with both ICS and JB. Search the development section for kernels and roms. If you flash a rom and it fail to boot, it mean the kernel currently installed is not compatible with that rom.

About ClockworkMod Recovery:
If you flash a custom kernel, it will likely have ClockworkMod Recovery included. Or if you are using stock Sony firmware, use the "CWM installer version 5" from this link to install CWM. Sometimes you will get a status 7 error when you try flashing a rom, it might mean you have to use a different version of ClockworkMod to flash that rom successfully.

Last edited:

Gianmark

Jan 29, 2013
First of all, thank you both!
Can I flash bootics.img in the Flashtool? The fma965's tutorial speaks about a "*.zip" file besides a "*.img" file.
Also, he says to use fastboot package that I have already used to unlock the bootloader.
EDIT: I need Busybox? What is it? I didn't get it.

Last edited:

tallman43

Aug 29, 2011
The Land of Android
Can I flash bootics.img in the Flashtool? The fma965's tutorial speaks about a "*.zip" file besides a "*.img" file.
Also, he says to use fastboot package that I have already used to unlock the bootloader.

Flash boot.img in Flashtool/Fastboot as instructions above from jeff7424:good:Zip files are what you put on your sd card and flash with cwm recovery, these can be either roms, updates to roms,zip files to change appearance, performance tweaks, too many to mention.

So .img and .ftf files use in Flashtool/Fastboot and zip files use on SD card to flash with CWM recovery.:)

Not to complicate it too much sometimes the boot.img comes in a .zip file you need to extract this to use in flashtool/fastboot with winra/7z unzip programs

Edit; Busybox download it with Superuser app on your phone or download a app from store to update your busybox

What is it?http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BusyBox

Last edited:

Gianmark

Jan 29, 2013
I DID IT.
But I'm a bit disappointed because Crash Bandicoot disappered...
Thanks everyone, by the way.
For the future update, the phone will format again?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You need to unlock bootloader before fastboot a kernel (bootics.img)

WARNING: THIS VOIDS WARRANTY. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.
    You should read all his guides.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1836530

First read root, then unlock bootloader, then install custom roms.

Sent from my R800i

I see you unlock your bootloader, good job! Place the ROM zip into your SD card first. Next, to get into recovery mode, just fastboot the kernel you want.
    -Power off phone.
    -Hold search button while connecting to PC via USB
    -Open flashtool, click the thunderbolt icon, select fastboot
    -Select kernel to flash (select your kernel bootics.img)
    -Wait for 2 seconds and voila!

After that, power on your phone, when blue LED lights up with a vibration, spam volume button / back button (depends on kernel) then you'll be able to enter recovery

Again, read his guide on flashing kernel and roms: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2054512

Which kernel you flash is depended on the rom you want to use it with, you need to flash a GB kernel if you want to use GB rom, ICS kernel for ICS, etc, although some kernel are compatible with both ICS and JB. Search the development section for kernels and roms. If you flash a rom and it fail to boot, it mean the kernel currently installed is not compatible with that rom.

About ClockworkMod Recovery:
    If you flash a custom kernel, it will likely have ClockworkMod Recovery included. Or if you are using stock Sony firmware, use the "CWM installer version 5" from this link to install CWM. Sometimes you will get a status 7 error when you try flashing a rom, it might mean you have to use a different version of ClockworkMod to flash that rom successfully.

Flash boot.img in Flashtool/Fastboot as instructions above from jeff7424:good:Zip files are what you put on your sd card and flash with cwm recovery, these can be either roms, updates to roms,zip files to change appearance, performance tweaks, too many to mention.

So .img and .ftf files use in Flashtool/Fastboot and zip files use on SD card to flash with CWM recovery.:)

Not to complicate it too much sometimes the boot.img comes in a .zip file you need to extract this to use in flashtool/fastboot with winra/7z unzip programs

Edit; Busybox download it with Superuser app on your phone or download a app from store to update your busybox

What is it?http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BusyBox