[SCRIPT][HOW-TO]Make Live Wallpapers Smoother!

Search This thread

despotovski01

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 1, 2011
Skopje
So I was searching around the Internet to find a way to make live wallpapers smoother. And I found a tutorial on another forum, tried it, and it worked like a charm, so I decided to post the tutorial on XDA Developers. Credits for this go to boimkun, a member of the Symbianize forum.

If you don't make to waste time on making the script, I have uploaded mine for you. Download the script

Requirements:
-Root access
-An application for making scripts (in this tutorial we are using GScript)
-Live wallpapers

Tutorial:
1. Open GScript
2. Click Menu, and then click "Add script"
3. Tick "Needs SU" if it's not ticked
4. Set the script name, and type in the text box below:
Code:
renice -15 `pgrep android.process.acore'
Note: "android.process.acore" stands for your launcher process name. You can use android.process.acore for ADW Launcher and Launcher Pro
5. Save the script and execute it

You must run the script on every boot.

Optional (I haven't tried this, but works very smooth without this as well):
boimkun said:
Maybe you want to try to renice the live wallpaper too (this may slow it down, I would not suggest to do it). To do this

- launch the terminal
- write 'ps' then press enter
- will appear a list of processes. here you should find one that has a name similar to the LWP you're using (for example, I'm using Pixel Zombies Infection and the process name is haydenTheAndroid.liveWallpaper.pixelZombies)

now you can renice it either from terminal or from GScript.
To renice from terminal:

- check the number *** which the process has in the PID row. You have to remember this number
- write 'su' then press enter. now you have root privileges
- write 'renice N ***' where N is the nice number you want (20=minimum priority ; -20=maximum priority, which you obviously don't want). You can set it to 20 to give the LWP the minimum priority

To renice from GScript go in the script you already created and add a similar line, by substituting "-15" with "20" and the process name with your LWP's process name.

You should now see an increased smoothness when scrolling homescreens and app drawer

That was all for this tutorial. Please post a comment, whether this script works for you or not. :)

Last edited:

despotovski01

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 1, 2011
Skopje
It worked great, but what's the TW4 process name?

I don't know, but you can do the following to find the process name:
Download an app called OS Monitor. Then open it and in the first tab click your launcher from the list. Then, a pop-up will be shown. Click "Watch Log" on the pop-up, and then search for your process name in the list. :)

dislplin01

Apr 10, 2011
Do I download the script and then so that and can I use terminal emulater

Sent from my LG-P500 using XDA Premium App running CM7 over clocked at 806

Can you explain in noob language how it works? It might have less positive effects on RAM usage by other apps?

Edit: does it work on ICS? I get an error.
Screenshot_2012-03-23-21-12-42.png

Last edited:

nthkmf

Oct 12, 2012
Error occur after running script!

Thanks for your trick!
When I choose to run the script after saving it, it appears "script finished" and there is a coutdown. After time out, my phone told me that "Sorry, GScript Lite was stopped" ... How will I do next?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So I was searching around the Internet to find a way to make live wallpapers smoother. And I found a tutorial on another forum, tried it, and it worked like a charm, so I decided to post the tutorial on XDA Developers. Credits for this go to boimkun, a member of the Symbianize forum.

If you don't make to waste time on making the script, I have uploaded mine for you. Download the script

Requirements:
    -Root access
    -An application for making scripts (in this tutorial we are using GScript)
    -Live wallpapers

Tutorial:
    1. Open GScript
    2. Click Menu, and then click "Add script"
    3. Tick "Needs SU" if it's not ticked
    4. Set the script name, and type in the text box below:
    Code:
    renice -15 `pgrep android.process.acore'
    Note: "android.process.acore" stands for your launcher process name. You can use android.process.acore for ADW Launcher and Launcher Pro
    5. Save the script and execute it

You must run the script on every boot.

Optional (I haven't tried this, but works very smooth without this as well):
    boimkun said:
    Maybe you want to try to renice the live wallpaper too (this may slow it down, I would not suggest to do it). To do this

- launch the terminal
    - write 'ps' then press enter
    - will appear a list of processes. here you should find one that has a name similar to the LWP you're using (for example, I'm using Pixel Zombies Infection and the process name is haydenTheAndroid.liveWallpaper.pixelZombies)

now you can renice it either from terminal or from GScript.
    To renice from terminal:

- check the number *** which the process has in the PID row. You have to remember this number
    - write 'su' then press enter. now you have root privileges
    - write 'renice N ***' where N is the nice number you want (20=minimum priority ; -20=maximum priority, which you obviously don't want). You can set it to 20 to give the LWP the minimum priority

To renice from GScript go in the script you already created and add a similar line, by substituting "-15" with "20" and the process name with your LWP's process name.

You should now see an increased smoothness when scrolling homescreens and app drawer

That was all for this tutorial. Please post a comment, whether this script works for you or not. :)
    So LauncherPro won't be laggy anymore?

Well, it shouldn't be. :)