[CWM][ALL] Base CWM zip packages - just add APPS!

Search This thread

cheatman

May 21, 2007
Migration Institute
Well, that's not really a dumb question.
My opinion is that you can safely use it, it won't break anything either way. Worst case scenario is that it won't work (and I doubt it will not work). Cwm zips vary only in contents, not structure. If you place Captivate compatible stuff in it, it will work just fine.

GerbenEe

Sep 9, 2011
Emmen, Drenthe
Well, that's not really a dumb question.
My opinion is that you can safely use it, it won't break anything either way. Worst case scenario is that it won't work (and I doubt it will not work). Cwm zips vary only in contents, not structure. If you place Captivate compatible stuff in it, it will work just fine.

So if im right.. I can flash any custom rom on my galaxy s (i9000 ) and after install I flash this self made apk zip and all my apps will be on the rom ?

cheatman

May 21, 2007
Migration Institute
That is correct GerbenEe.
Just make sure you run one of the latest versions of recovery with your ROM, to avoid compatibility issues. Any modern/recent ROM should work just fine.

The CWM zip skeletons in this thread work on any ROM build on any platform, because there are no modems, kernels or partitions managed by the scripts. Sure, this limits them to some extent, but for the purpose of most people on this forum, should be enough.

You can, for example, use it to create flash-able boot animation packages, sound packs, skin packages, app packages and general OS packages (changing settings, updating binaries - root etc.)

With minor modifications you can flash new modems and setup MTD partitions as well (if your recovery is compatible). But that is more advanced and not the purpose of this thread.

Peace,
C.

GerbenEe

Sep 9, 2011
Emmen, Drenthe
thanks..

my only use will be zipping apk files and install them over a newly flashed rom so I wont have to use TiBu or any backup up tool or download all apps manually from market

now we talk about this ..
if I put in lets say 5 apps

1. facebook
2. whatsapp
3. zedge
4. tweaker.net
5. nu ( news app )

I zip them in the zip file from OP and install it over my newly flashed rom.. this apps will be installed on my system but are they also recognized by the market for updates ?

also where will they be installed in the system ?

thanks

cheatman

May 21, 2007
Migration Institute
There are two zip files attached in the OP, each for a different approach. If you want to install as system app you should use the system CWM zip, if you want to install as regular app, use the data CWM zip.

If you put the apps (APKs) and the data that comes with the apps in the correct folders (I don't know if the apps require additional data) they will work fine and update from the market as they should.

PS: you should know that creating such a CWM is in no way different from editing the ROM zip to begin with and it is also in no way different from using TiBu, only that you have a portable ZIP. You can also flash cross-devices, but it may not work in some cases :-D

Peace,
C.

vaina001

Nov 9, 2010
Brooklyn
First i wanna thank you for you work, this really does help out many individuals out there.

I have a LG G2x and im been trying to find/create a flashable zip file to flash apps specifically a file manager. I tried other ways that didnt work, came across your thread and all the replies and see it works for many people but im having an issue:

E:Error in /sdcard/Data_Skeleton.zip
(Status 0)
Installation aborted.

If you have any thoughts on this please let me know, i should also mention that the G2x phone requires a custom recovery so using another version of CWM is not possible for me and this you can verify on the development section of the G2x thread.

Thanks in advance.

cheatman

May 21, 2007
Migration Institute
Try to flash the empty CWM zips, without any apps inside first. This will tell you if the zip is compatible with your recovery.

If it's working as downloaded, then it's something you did. If it's not working, you it's not compatible with your recovery. Report back and we'll see what we can do to solve this problem.

Reactions: eatertif

flamand

Dec 28, 2010
SF Bay Area
Does Titanium Backup require any special handling?

I just tried it with both data and system. With data, it completes okay, icon shows up in app drawer but won't launch. When I check in Apps, the size is zero.

With system, it installs okay in CWM, but it shows up as a system app, with only a display option. Once again, size is zero.

Thanks for doing this, I have been trying for a long time to speed up the rom switching process by getting TB in through CWM. I hope this one works for me!

cheatman

May 21, 2007
Migration Institute
Ok... thought about this long and hard. Took me some time to get what you were saying, but I finally managed (I think). You can find a CWM package of Titanium Backup (latest FREE version) attached to this post.

It is based on the Data skeleton ZIP so it's not going to install as a system app. I tested it successfully on latest CM9 nightly. Works fine here.

Let me know if this is the dog you're looking for,
C.

Attachments

• TitaniumBackup.CWM.v1.zip
    3 MB · Views: 223
Reactions: 0bu and flamand

flamand

Dec 28, 2010
SF Bay Area
THANK YOU!

Worked like a charm. I was a dummy this morning because I now see that it has to be the apk that comes out of the /data/app directory. I also grabbed my pro key and dropped that in your archive and it installed perfectly.

Ok... thought about this long and hard. Took me some time to get what you were saying, but I finally managed (I think). You can find a CWM package of Titanium Backup (latest FREE version) attached to this post.

It is based on the Data skeleton ZIP so it's not going to install as a system app. I tested it successfully on latest CM9 nightly. Works fine here.

Let me know if this is the dog you're looking for,
C.

Reactions: cheatman

K4L

Aug 13, 2010
Stockholm
Is it possible to add a data/data-folder in the data zip from the first post?

I don't want to add apps to the data/app-directory, I want to add folders to the data/data-directory.

smali26

Mar 24, 2007
Union, NJ
THANKS CHEATMAN!!!
YOUR WORK IS GREATLY APPRECIATED.
this is helpful for me because i like to deconstruct things and figure how it works.
thanks again
Cheers

cheatman

May 21, 2007
Migration Institute
No problem :-D

Glad we still have some excited ROM cookers with us. Kinda' been missing some for a while now. Hope this stuff works out well for you!

C.

riya1710

Aug 19, 2008
Dear Thanx. It is simply awesome. One can add individual app but by this method one can install 100s of apps in few seconds.But i have one question, can you make zip for transfer of data like contacts (data/data/com.android.providers.contacts/database) or any other data located in folder data/data/

Thanks again

Last edited:

zard

Jul 19, 2005
@cheatman I don't know what I couldn't find you thread a month ago but finally, I found it today. It's simply fantastic. I had been trying to do make a zip for CMW by replacing from other CMW zips but always had errors until I use your skeleton zips. So far, I only used the apps zip and it works very well. Thank you so much.:good:

Ty5982

Jan 25, 2011
Manchester
bit of help please

hi,is it possible to use 1 zip to flash system and data apps in 1 go,rather than a zip for system/apps and 1 for data/apps,thanks in advance

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ok forum, so I got this idea: because a lot of people ask for CWM packages of this and that, why not let them create CWM flashable stuff without having to beg devs or other users to make them?

I think it saves them (yes, I am talking about YOU!) and us the trouble. So I created these two base CWM flashable zips to get everyone started:

1. Data_Skeleton.zip - Used for apps that you can uninstall afterwards.
    2. System_Skeleton.zip - Used for anything that should be installed as a system app

Now, a short guide on how to use them:

1. Download the appropriate ZIP for what you plan to package. If you want to make a regular app package use Data_Skeleton.zip, for system apps, use System_Skeleton.zip.
    2. Open the zip file with anything else other than Windows Explorer! Use 7zip, winzip, winrar or anything else, just not Explorer!
    3. Look inside the zip! DO NOT DELETE ANYTHING! All you need to do is ADD STUFF!
    4. Browse into the "data" or "system" zip folders, then down into the "app" folder inside.
    5. After you get to the "app" folder, copy and paste the APKs you want to flash in the folder.

REMEMBER: do not DELETE anything! ADD APK files ONLY in the "app" folder.

6. Wait for the APK files you copy to get added to the archive.
    7. Close the archive.
    8. Rename and copy the archive to your SD card.
    9. Boot into CWM and flash the copied zip file you just created.
    10. Enjoy!!

Sooooo, quick 10-step process into cooking you own CWM Zips. You can do much more with them than flashing apps, but for general purpose usage, this should be enough!

Thanks and complaints go underneath.

PS: this idea was given to me by lambstone in a separate thread! Thanks a lot mate!!!

Peace,
    C.
    Ayysr,

App2zip works well for this purpose, but only when it works. There are apps that can't be zipped correctly, mainly those that rely on libs, media and/or other files that can't be included automagically. Needless to say that some apps (mainly games and such) store data on the SD card.

All of this can be easily accomplished by copying the files in a zip file; also learning something about Android in the process, wouldn't you say?

Peace,
    C.
    I actually wasn't expecting anyone to comment on this thread to begin with :)
    The fact that you mentioned app2zip is perfect! I know the intent is not to deny my effort, in fact, I am happy new information surfaced because it's useful and appropriate.

Very few contribute to such posts with relevant info for others. I think this is the point: sharing insightful and relevant stuff with others. But judging by the number of thanks you have, you already know this very well already :D

So, thanks! And glad to have you in my thread :D

Peace,
    C.
    There's market apps that does this I.e apps2zip

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-2
    You need to create the appropriate folder structure on your PC/Laptop/Mac drive (system/bin or system/lib as per your example) and add it to the archive.

Do not create the folders directly inside the archive as they seem to get borked. Instead archive the folders after you create them locally. It also works if you extract the skeleton archive as an example, delete the "system" folder from inside it and add to the archive the system folder from your drive to replace the original one.

Sounds more complicated than it is. With these CWM Zips you can create any zip that changes either "/data/*" or "/system/*"

Anything, including full ROMs, libs, firmware etc (i.e. except kernel!) can go inside. Play with them. You can't mess your tab with them. Worst case, you need to flash again your ICS copy and factory reset...

Peace,
    C.