Intermittent connectivity issues

Search This thread

sfreemanoh

Oct 20, 2008
Every so often my M8 will basically become disconnected from the network. This NORMALLY appears when I'm in a low coverage zone, and it's as if my phone just doesn't want to reconnect when I get back into a higher coverage area.

For instance at my gym, I frequently get a weak signal, but it's usually 4G. Sometimes it'll drop to 3G, and then sometimes when I get back into an area of the gym that has 4G coverage my phone will say it's still on 3G. However, there's actually no connectivity at all, and I need to either reboot or toggle airplane mode to get a connection again.

Sometimes (at least 2-3 times in the last week) it happened while, at least to the best of my knowledge, I was in a 4G area (though with weak coverage) the entire time. Again I fixed it each time by toggling airplane.

Has anyone else seen an issue like this? It's frustrating as hell. And more importantly has anyone heard of a fix for this?

Sevinex

Jul 27, 2013
San Diego
Every so often my M8 will basically become disconnected from the network. This NORMALLY appears when I'm in a low coverage zone, and it's as if my phone just doesn't want to reconnect when I get back into a higher coverage area.

For instance at my gym, I frequently get a weak signal, but it's usually 4G. Sometimes it'll drop to 3G, and then sometimes when I get back into an area of the gym that has 4G coverage my phone will say it's still on 3G. However, there's actually no connectivity at all, and I need to either reboot or toggle airplane mode to get a connection again.

Sometimes (at least 2-3 times in the last week) it happened while, at least to the best of my knowledge, I was in a 4G area (though with weak coverage) the entire time. Again I fixed it each time by toggling airplane.

Has anyone else seen an issue like this? It's frustrating as hell. And more importantly has anyone heard of a fix for this?

Yep, actually I had a thread about this a while back; I tried just about everything (other ROMs, new sim cards, factory resets, the whole shebang) and my only solution so far (if you intend on keeping your current phone) is to completely unroot my phone, along with removing all root-related applications (namely Xposed). It still happens from time to time, but a lot less frequently then when rooted and running Xposed modules. I have a new phone coming in today from Verizon, so hopefully that unit will not have any of these issues... I still am not entirely sure what causes it, though it is definitely exacerbated by Xposed. Hopefully some of this helps? If you have any further questions feel free to ask, either through PM or this here thread.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

wooddale

Nov 5, 2010
New Lisbon
Yep, actually I had a thread about this a while back; I tried just about everything (other ROMs, new sim cards, factory resets, the whole shebang) and my only solution so far (if you intend on keeping your current phone) is to completely unroot my phone, along with removing all root-related applications (namely Xposed). It still happens from time to time, but a lot less frequently then when rooted and running Xposed modules. I have a new phone coming in today from Verizon, so hopefully that unit will not have any of these issues... I still am not entirely sure what causes it, though it is definitely exacerbated by Xposed. Hopefully some of this helps? If you have any further questions feel free to ask, either through PM or this here thread.

I am having same did getting new phone help? I think its just crappy radios myself nothing to do with root exposed or anything.

Sevinex

Jul 27, 2013
San Diego
I am having same did getting new phone help? I think its just crappy radios myself nothing to do with root exposed or anything.

I have a new phone now, and so far I haven't experienced any data connectivity issues. This morning I did notice that my SMS were not sending properly, but that issue has since faded away, so hopefully it was Verizon network based... Anyways, I will try reinstalling Xposed and a couple modules later today (likely Snapshare and the Sense 6 Toolbox) and will report back sometime tomorrow or the next on how it goes. Fingers crossed...

wooddale

Nov 5, 2010
New Lisbon
I have a new phone now, and so far I haven't experienced any data connectivity issues. This morning I did notice that my SMS were not sending properly, but that issue has since faded away, so hopefully it was Verizon network based... Anyways, I will try reinstalling Xposed and a couple modules later today (likely Snapshare and the Sense 6 Toolbox) and will report back sometime tomorrow or the next on how it goes. Fingers crossed...

Thanks keep us informed.

Sevinex

Jul 27, 2013
San Diego
Thanks keep us informed.

Lol, so after installing Xposed, I suddenly started having issues maintaining a solid 4G connection; 3G works fine, just whenever I do manage to connect to 4G I am unable to use any data (says I am connected to the mobile network, but I do not get any upload or download data movement). Even after removing Xposed and all associated modules, I am still experiencing this problems. I am going in today/Monday to get a new SIM card (hopefully this is what is causing my issues) but goddamn I just cannot seem to catch a break in terms of my phones' data connection. If the above doesn't work I may have to send for another phone, though after having now received three replacements this entire process is getting a little irksome... I really do love this phone, but it seems as if it is my M8 is rejecting my love from every angle.

UPDATE: The new SIM didn't do anything, I still am having 4G issues, so another phone it is...

Last edited:

biswasd

Nov 24, 2007
it's not just your phone....

Lol, so after installing Xposed, I suddenly started having issues maintaining a solid 4G connection; 3G works fine, just whenever I do manage to connect to 4G I am unable to use any data (says I am connected to the mobile network, but I do not get any upload or download data movement). Even after removing Xposed and all associated modules, I am still experiencing this problems. I am going in today/Monday to get a new SIM card (hopefully this is what is causing my issues) but goddamn I just cannot seem to catch a break in terms of my phones' data connection. If the above doesn't work I may have to send for another phone, though after having now received three replacements this entire process is getting a little irksome... I really do love this phone, but it seems as if it is my M8 is rejecting my love from every angle.

UPDATE: The new SIM didn't do anything, I still am having 4G issues, so another phone it is...

a lot of feedback on the web across multiple carriers of the poor lte signal retention on this phone.....this is starting to sound like a hardware defect or a major "radio" software glitch.

wooddale

Nov 5, 2010
New Lisbon
a lot of feedback on the web across multiple carriers of the poor lte signal retention on this phone.....this is starting to sound like a hardware defect or a major "radio" software glitch.

I dumped mine could not handle it anymore get rid of it before you loose any more money. I have had a lot of phones when there bad from the start they don't usually get any better. The Droid Bionic being the only exception.

berndblb

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 22, 2012
Los Angeles, CA

I had the same problem with my new M8 when travelling from/to areas with low or no data coverage back to areas where I knew there was a LTE signal. Only toggling Airplane Mode would make the data reconnect. That problem was solved for me with a new sim card.

I also had very bad data connectivity at home in a major southern California city (best was -105 dBm) whereas I got up to -83 dBm in some rural town in Arizona.
Read trook's posts #34 and up here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=53838257
Some of these problems may be connected to the new data service VZW is rolling out.
I would wait a few weeks before ditiching this phone. 'Cause it rocks!!! :D

biswasd

Nov 24, 2007
bull**** phone

I had the same problem with my new M8 when travelling from/to areas with low or no data coverage back to areas where I knew there was a LTE signal. Only toggling Airplane Mode would make the data reconnect. That problem was solved for me with a new sim card.

I also had very bad data connectivity at home in a major southern California city (best was -105 dBm) whereas I got up to -83 dBm in some rural town in Arizona.
Read trook's posts #34 and up here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=53838257
Some of these problems may be connected to the new data service VZW is rolling out.

it has nothing to do with the AWS rollout - i have a Verizon Galaxy S5 sitting right next to my M8 ---- guess what - consistent data speeds on the s5 (15 mbs down)......on the m8 (3-4mbs down) - and the data flucutates and in the signal meter , I'm getting about -6db less on the M8 than the s5.

trust me, i so desperately want to keep this phone, b/c quite frankly, i hate the amoled screen on the s5, but alas, i cant keep a phone that doesn't work well

Reactions: berndblb

berndblb

Nov 22, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
it has nothing to do with the AWS rollout - i have a Verizon Galaxy S5 sitting right next to my M8 ---- guess what - consistent data speeds on the s5 (15 mbs down)......on the m8 (3-4mbs down) - and the data flucutates and in the signal meter , I'm getting about -6db less on the M8 than the s5.

trust me, i so desperately want to keep this phone, b/c quite frankly, i hate the amoled screen on the s5, but alas, i cant keep a phone that doesn't work well
Did you have to do that?! You just ruined my evening! That's really not what I wanted to hear!
The cold hard truth - aaaarghhh. [emoji24]
Now I have to re-think this purchase 'cause I use my phone 80% for data related functions!
But thanks anyway for posting. Even if it hurt...

biswasd

Nov 24, 2007
cold hard facts

Did you have to do that?! You just ruined my evening! That's really not what I wanted to hear!
The cold hard truth - aaaarghhh. [emoji24]
Now I have to re-think this purchase 'cause I use my phone 80% for data related functions!
But thanks anyway for posting. Even if it hurt...

yes - sorry bro - i'm quite disappointed by what i am seeing with my own two eyes as well as all the others across the US and the rest of the world who are experiencing the SAME symptoms. so this is not a verizon network issue --

me thinks its a faulty radio which is causing bad handoffs between 3g and 4g (LTE). once the phone drops down to 3g, it never regains 4g signal for some reason. also, there is the issue of the constant signal fluctuations even when the phone is on LTE...so who knows. maybe combo of bad radio and poor quality antenna module.

i'm not a phone engineer but i have enough common sense and knowledge about phones to know a lemon when i see one......so, yup, i'm keeping the s5 and return the m8 tomorrow under the 14 day guarantee from verizon. shame....

berndblb

Nov 22, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
yes - sorry bro - i'm quite disappointed by what i am seeing with my own two eyes as well as all the others across the US and the rest of the world who are experiencing the SAME symptoms. so this is not a verizon network issue --

me thinks its a faulty radio which is causing bad handoffs between 3g and 4g (LTE). once the phone drops down to 3g, it never regains 4g signal for some reason. also, there is the issue of the constant signal fluctuations even when the phone is on LTE...so who knows. maybe combo of bad radio and poor quality antenna module.

i'm not a phone engineer but i have enough common sense and knowledge about phones to know a lemon when i see one......so, yup, i'm keeping the s5 and return the m8 tomorrow under the 14 day guarantee from verizon. shame....
To tell the truth I have been reading about the same issue on the general M8 forum - probably just didn't want to make the connection.... So thanks for opening my eyes.
I'm hoping for bad radio software that may get fixed with some future update (although my 6th sense tells me it's the bad antenna module....)
Too late for me for a clean exchange. Gonna have to read the Squaretrade fine print.....

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    bull**** phone