Memory issues

Search This thread

Gipiv

Jul 23, 2012
Has anyone experienced memory shortage issues on either the 16Gb model or the 32Gb model.
If so why ?

I really am interested in buying this device but I am a bit worried about not having the the slot for the external SD card.
I have only found one person that had memory shortage problems but it was only due to an enormous number (in Gbs) of songs.
I am a bit worried about the ever increasing number of Gbs that are used up by the OS, and how this will effect the available data memory over a long period of time.
Thanks for any info.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

Liskrig

Mar 17, 2011
Boston
twitter.com
I have the 32GB one, and I still have 18.28GB free (I haven't transferred my nandroid backups yet ~5.5GB). I have all the apps I need, and no music or movies. (Spotify, and Amazon for those needs).

The weight of pure Kit-Kat is quite small, so a lot of the space is available to use versus the S4.

Gipiv

Jul 23, 2012
Thanks, exactly what I was looking for. My worries stem also from the recent S5 which sport a whooping 8Gb of OS !!! So a 16Gb device would not be worth buying without a slot. The OS footprint in the Nexus is in fact small by comparison.
Thanks again.

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
I have the 16 GB version. I have to transfer my nandroid backups off immediately and only keep 1 titanium backup history. I have to put my bigger games on USB stick.

I have no locally stored music or video although my streaming apps do cache

Edit. I do try to keep 3-4 GB free though.... to ensure I have enough space to download files and take backups should I need.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Liskrig

Mar 17, 2011
Boston
twitter.com
Thanks, exactly what I was looking for. My worries stem also from the recent S5 which sport a whooping 8Gb of OS !!! So a 16Gb device would not be worth buying without a slot. The OS footprint in the Nexus is in fact small by comparison.
Thanks again.

That is understandable, I was just reading an article about the S5 also. It's crazy that they don't move 80% of those apps to the Play Store and shrink the ROM by 3+ GB... Anyways, you're welcome! Glad I could help :)

Gipiv

Jul 23, 2012
Thanks !
So substantially you're not particularly worried about having memory shortage issue ?
In hindsight would you have bought the 32Gb version?

from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using xda app-developers app

vin4yak

Mar 10, 2013
Mumbai
vinu.info
Totally depends on the user's needs I must say. If you use your phone for entertainment purposes and play a lot of games, then the 32 GB will be your best bet.

I like keeping family, friends pics on my phone (However, I do keep a backup on my laptop), so the 16gb isn't sufficient for me. Besides that, the difference in price between the 16 and 32 gig models isn't that much.

3DSammy

May 5, 2011
Toronto
Has anyone experienced memory shortage issues on either the 16Gb model or the 32Gb model.
If so why ?...

I bought the 16GB version but also bought a Meenova OTG micoSDcard reader. It's so compact that I easily carry 32GB of extra storage around with me available for my Nexus 5 at a moments notice. Assuming you own a micoSDcard the Meenova reader only cost around $13 with shipping varying per country. I'm in Canada so the whole expenditure was $17. The Meenova can handle up to a 64GB card.

See:
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=50540985&postcount=60

Sent from my Nexus 10 using XDA Premium HD app

Reactions: vin4yak

vin4yak

Mar 10, 2013
Mumbai
vinu.info
I bought the 16GB version but also bought a Meenova OTG micoSDcard reader. It's so compact that I easily carry 32GB of extra storage around with me available for my Nexus 5 at a moments notice. Assuming you own a micoSDcard the Meenova reader only cost around $13 with shipping varying per country. I'm in Canada so the whole expenditure was $17. The Meenova can handle up to a 64GB card.

See:

That looks toooo goood!!! :cowboy:

Gipiv

Jul 23, 2012
Thanks. This helps a great deal. I agree with the difference not being much, so it would make more sense to get the 32Gb version.
It' s pretty cool that there doesn't seem to much of an issue with not having an extra memory slot.

Totally depends on the user's needs I must say. If you use your phone for entertainment purposes and play a lot of games, then the 32 GB will be your best bet.

I like keeping family, friends pics on my phone (However, I do keep a backup on my laptop), so the 16gb isn't sufficient for me. Besides that, the difference in price between the 16 and 32 gig models isn't that much.

Gipiv

Jul 23, 2012

Thanks.
I've heard about the Meenova and it seems to be quite the "problem" (I beginning to think there isn't one) solver. Thanks for sharing. I think I'll be getting one once I order the Nexus.

See:

vin4yak

Mar 10, 2013
Mumbai
vinu.info
Thanks. This helps a great deal. I agree with the difference not being much, so it would make more sense to get the 32Gb version.
It' s pretty cool that there doesn't seem to much of an issue with not having an extra memory slot.

Yes, it sure is!

I also came across this mini card reader, it costs just $12!! Memory card support is upto 64 gig.
https://shopmeenova.appspot.com/st/order.html

I'm thinking of buying it as it will be really helpful to load stuff when we are on the go...

How it will look on n5:
262dt4oy9.jpg

bblzd

Nov 6, 2013
Toronto
OTG storage can be a hit to the battery as well. If you have the option, get the 32Gb version. $50 for fast Nand built in is worth it.

Reactions: danarama

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If so why ?...

See:

OTG storage can be a hit to the battery as well. If you have the option, get the 32Gb version. $50 for fast Nand built in is worth it.