ZTE U950 - Increase Bitrate for Image/Video/Audio
I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY NEGATIVE IMPACTS OR CONSEQUENCES ON YOUR PHONE IF YOU SO CHOOSE TO USE THIS GUIDE.
The ZTE U950 is a great phone in terms of performance. Where it truly lacks is the camera. It is mediocre at best. I thought I would go ahead and mess with the settings to at least improve the quality of the photos and videos taken.
I tested by taking photo and video of the same things as I changed settings to get somewhat comparable media to examine.
The photo I took with the original settings was around 800Kb in size. What I got it up to is 2.74Mb (that's more than 3x the original size!). A larger size doesn't mean better quality, but when I checked the photos by zooming in, you could tell the smoothness of each was drastically different.
The video I originally took was averaging 17.5MB/s+, almost 18MB/s. I was able to push the video up to 21-22MB/s. The audio was at 1 channel (mono) with a 16 kHz sample rate and about 100Kbps bitrate. I changed this to 2 channels (stereo) with a 48 kHz sample rate and about 320Kbps bitrate.
While the video quality is definitely better, the huge increase in the audio bitrate definitely can be heard.
A FEW THINGS TO NOTE
1) While working on this I tried to change videos to the MP4 format, although this won't affect quality, I figured it would be best when trying to edit, playback, etc. The settings that could be changed to allow this did not seem to do anything (possibly a hardware setting...). So, video is exported as 3GP.
2) I tried to allow 60fps on video, but this settings was ignored as well.
3) I didn't change the front camera, however it can be done.
4) These settings apply to 1080p & High settings. I did also increase the 720p settings a bit.
Be sure to make a backup of your own file before performing the install steps. However, if you don't, here
is a copy of the original.
1) Download the media_profiles.xml
2) Be sure to have a file explorer on your ZTE U950. I use Root Explorer (since it has a search function).
3) Place the downloaded file onto your SD card, or somewhere easily accessible.
4) Open up your file explorer. My steps will pertain to Root Explorer.
5) If not already mounted as R/W, click the button at the top, "Mount R/W".
6) Find the downloaded file and click and hold.
7) The options window should appear, click Copy (a Paste button should now appear at the bottom of your screen).
8) Go back to the root of the folders.
9) Click on the "etc" folder.
10) Find the "media_profiles.xml" file already installed on the system.
11) Click the "Mount" button on the top of the screen (this allows you to set your own permissions).
12) Click and hold the "media_profiles.xml" file.
13) Click Permissions.
14) Check off each box to allow for all permissions and press OK.
15) Click the Paste button.
16) Confirm overwriting of original file.
17) Your Video/Audio/Image bitrates have been increased!