[Q] Space on SD card

Search This thread

Zenile

Jan 10, 2014
Hi!

Partitioned my 32GB sdcard, and put CM10.2 on it, but when I check it I have only about 400mb of space or something like that. I had the same amount of space on a 4GB sdcard I used before. Why am I not able to use up the rest of the GB's?! Can someone tell me how to fix it, I don't know if I'm partitioning wrong or doing something wrong, but I want to be able to have lots of extra space for music, apps, etc. Please help! Thanks!!!

Last edited:

sagirfahmid3

Jul 20, 2013
I believe you used a low level utility like dd or similar to flash an image onto a partition.
You need to run fsck on that partition, then run resize2fs to expand the ext2/3/4 partition.

Let's say your partition is /dev/block/mmcblk1p1
You would do (in a terminal):

adb reboot recovery
adb shell
# umount /dev/block/mmcblk1p1
# e2fsck /dev/block/mmcblk1p1
# resize2fs /dev/block/mmcblk1p1

After that, your partition will get expanded to whatever size you made it.
It takes a while so be patient. The larger the partition, the longer it will take.

Reactions: Zenile

mikeataol

Nov 21, 2013
Hi!

Partitioned my 32GB sdcard, and put CM10.2 on it, but when I check it I have only about 400mb of space or something like that. I had the same amount of space on a 4GB sdcard I used before. Why am I not able to use up the rest of the GB's?! Can someone tell me how to fix it, I don't know if I'm partitioning wrong or doing something wrong, but I want to be able to have lots of extra space for music, apps, etc. Please help! Thanks!!!

if you got a prebaked image of a bootable cm card from somewhere, then it usually has 4 partitions on it that were set to the sizes the author of the card specified.
/boot
/system
/data
/sdcard

You would need to put the card in a PC, and use a disk partitioning utility to resize the partitions
some of the images include additional flash files that you install to expand the card's partitions for you. (succulent's), but
you have to do it as you install for the first time.

I prefer to build the card empty first, and load the boot files and zips manually.

linux tools like gparted, Parted Magic , booting from a live USB or CD work pretty well.
Windows based ones like Easus Partition master, or Paragon, not so good.
Mini Tool partition wizard (windows/free) sometimes works

this looks to be a decent write up
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=202660

Last edited:

digixmax

Jan 17, 2011

I prefer to build the card empty first, and load the boot files and zips manually.

linux tools like gparted, Parted Magic , booting from a live USB or CD work pretty well.

The write-up is also posted on XDA at http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2098419. It was written back in the days of CM10.1, so to use it for CM10.2 or CM11:
  • Obtain the boot files: MLO, u-boot.bin, and flashing_boot.img -- as well as the files boot.img and recovery.img, from the /boot partition of the pre-made SD CM image. Make sure that MLO is the first file to copy to the freshly made /boot partition.
  • Substitute in the appropriate ROM and Gapps zip files corresponding to the particular CM build of interest.

Last edited:
Reactions: mikeataol

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I believe you used a low level utility like dd or similar to flash an image onto a partition.
    You need to run fsck on that partition, then run resize2fs to expand the ext2/3/4 partition.

Let's say your partition is /dev/block/mmcblk1p1
    You would do (in a terminal):

adb reboot recovery
    adb shell
    # umount /dev/block/mmcblk1p1
    # e2fsck /dev/block/mmcblk1p1
    # resize2fs /dev/block/mmcblk1p1

After that, your partition will get expanded to whatever size you made it.
    It takes a while so be patient. The larger the partition, the longer it will take.

The write-up is also posted on XDA at http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2098419. It was written back in the days of CM10.1, so to use it for CM10.2 or CM11:
    • Obtain the boot files: MLO, u-boot.bin, and flashing_boot.img -- as well as the files boot.img and recovery.img, from the /boot partition of the pre-made SD CM image. Make sure that MLO is the first file to copy to the freshly made /boot partition.
    • Substitute in the appropriate ROM and Gapps zip files corresponding to the particular CM build of interest.