[Q] usb port replaced -> battery drain(slimport wakelock)

Search This thread

karar2012

Dec 28, 2012
Hey everybody,

about 2 weeks ago I had to change the USB port on my nexus 4 because It wasn't charging. I went to a professional place and they replaced it. everything worked fine but I did notice a significant battery drain. poking around with several battery apps revealed that the culprit is "slimport wake lock". further digging around revealed that what probably happened is that during the replacement of the USB port, something now malfunctions with the slimport chip/connection and it stays constantly on.

I of course plan on taking the device to the laboratory and have the guy there take a look at it. unfortunately there's very little on the subject wherever i looked and I was wondering if any of you had something similar that can help me point the guy there. Also, I was wondering if there's any way to SHUT DOWN the slimport option (as I don't even use it) via the OS, developer options, some app or something else.

any help would be appreciated :)

SS of slimport wakelock being awake constantly is attached

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-03-24-08-34-59.png
    Screenshot_2014-03-24-08-34-59.png
    189.5 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:

GruZone

Dec 26, 2012
Ashkelon
Hey everybody,

about 2 weeks ago I had to change the USB port on my nexus 4 because It wasn't charging. I went to a professional place and they replaced it. everything worked fine but I did notice a significant battery drain. poking around with several battery apps revealed that the culprit is "slimport wake lock". further digging around revealed that what probably happened is that during the replacement of the USB port, something now malfunctions with the slimport chip/connection and it stays constantly on.

I of course plan on taking the device to the laboratory and have the guy there take a look at it. unfortunately there's very little on the subject wherever i looked and I was wondering if any of you had something similar that can help me point the guy there. Also, I was wondering if there's any way to SHUT DOWN the slimport option (as I don't even use it) via the OS, developer options, some app or something else.

any help would be appreciated :)

SS of slimport wakelock being awake constantly is attached

Did u manage to solve this issue mate?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

republicano

Mar 11, 2010
slimport is to connect to an external display via usb like MHL cable, i read that the usb hardware can be the reason, the guy replaced the usb port again in the links below.

make a cwm backup, and flash android again install betterbatterystats and see if the wakelock continues if so you should replace the usb port.

theory, the slimport pin is touching another?

http://www.reddit.com/r/nexus4/comments/1vpw9h/slimport_wakelock_issue_poor_battery_life/

http://www.reddit.com/r/nexus4/comments/1vrlgu/slimport_nexus_4_any_ways_to_improve_it/

karar2012

Dec 28, 2012
USB port was changed again, also did:
-Factory Reset
-updated to 4.4.3(and yesterday - 4.4.4)
-Battery change

No dice. I gave up and bought myself a Moto G.
Though, if anyone comes across a solution - do tell.

ari2k5

Jun 20, 2010
Stockton-on-Tees
Seems to me like broken USB port or pinout not compatible. Possibly they did short-circuit on one circuit on PCB. What I can advise is go back to people who changed USB port and ask them to re-solder everything by using compatible parts.

Kind regards,

GruZone

Dec 26, 2012
Ashkelon
I have the solution guys... Though its hard to explain, its not very hard to accomplish.
I took my n4 for another try in a different lab. The technician from the start suspected it's not something in the charging port itself, so he asked me to leave the phone for him for a few days.
After 4 days of trying and learning, he managed to find that the problem is in the socket on the board itself is causing the problems, along with the charging port, in my case.
He replaced the port on the board itself and the problem is solved.
Eventually, I paid 40€ for this problem, not very high, beats the other option (buying a new phone)

Try it guys. :)

---------- Post added at 06:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:15 PM ----------

If anyone needs another explanation don't hesitate to contact via hangouts.
avishvili@gmail.com.com