[Q] Kindle Fire HD Stuck Booting on TWRP Instead of Android

Search This thread

GogoplataMMA

Apr 21, 2014
I've tried a bunch of tutorials on here to fix this, but can't figure it out.

I was on my Kindle HD 8.9" running CyanogenMod 10.1, which it has for a year. Suddenly, I got some popup last night. It said there was a nightly build update in my notifications area, so I just clicked "OK" and let it do its thing. It installed for a little bit, all was okay... but now I cannot access my Android OS.

I went to turn my Kindle on after the update, but it keeps going to TWRP. What will happen exactly is it starts... orange letters... then blue letters... then restarts again to orange letters... then blue letters... then TWRP. Why does it keep going to TWRP? How do I fix this?

My Kindle can't even connect to the PC. I just either get "Unknown Device" or "Kindle" in my Device Manager, and mounting from TWRP does nothing.

Then I try installing the Android SDK to get the ADB on my machine, and I added the "Path" in my environment to the two tools folders, but nothing... same thing happens. Constant loop into TWRP. Driving me nuts.

The update it wanted me to install when I could still get into the Android OS was cm-11-20140420-NIGHTLY-jem. I thought maybe trying to connect my Kindle to my PC in order to open the drive, then pasting the cm-11-20140420-NIGHTLY-jem into a folder and installing again from TWRP would solve my problem, but I can't even get that far.

I'm at a loss. Please help.

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
I've tried a bunch of tutorials on here to fix this, but can't figure it out.

I was on my Kindle HD 8.9" running CyanogenMod 10.1, which it has for a year. Suddenly, I got some popup last night. It said there was a nightly build update in my notifications area, so I just clicked "OK" and let it do its thing. It installed for a little bit, all was okay... but now I cannot access my Android OS.

I went to turn my Kindle on after the update, but it keeps going to TWRP. What will happen exactly is it starts... orange letters... then blue letters... then restarts again to orange letters... then blue letters... then TWRP. Why does it keep going to TWRP? How do I fix this?

My Kindle can't even connect to the PC. I just either get "Unknown Device" or "Kindle" in my Device Manager, and mounting from TWRP does nothing.

Then I try installing the Android SDK to get the ADB on my machine, and I added the "Path" in my environment to the two tools folders, but nothing... same thing happens. Constant loop into TWRP. Driving me nuts.

The update it wanted me to install when I could still get into the Android OS was cm-11-20140420-NIGHTLY-jem. I thought maybe trying to connect my Kindle to my PC in order to open the drive, then pasting the cm-11-20140420-NIGHTLY-jem into a folder and installing again from TWRP would solve my problem, but I can't even get that far.

I'm at a loss. Please help.

boot into twrp, check what version of twrp you have. Then you may need to update your twrp to be cm 11 compatible if its not at latest version, current version is like 2.7.0.0(least it is for the 7", havnet check to see if that builds out for 8.9 as well), anyways check the device manager for a device with a yellow triangle next it, if you don't see that and you do have a adb interface showing up but adb doesnt detect it then uninstall the adb device and mtp device and search for devices, if it still doesnt work look for a component device with a vid of 1949 in the properties>details>hardware id's section, if you find it then remove it and scan for device. Windows is a pain in terms of drivers for the kindle in different modes. Once adb is working its as simple as pushing the rom with adb push. You may need to factory reset and/or wipe internal storage so i recommend backing up the data, i would assume the current bootloop has something to do with either no factory reset before going to cm 11 or selinux issues, but that would mean the kernel didnt flash in the ota which would be weird.

GogoplataMMA

Apr 21, 2014
boot into twrp, check what version of twrp you have. Then you may need to update your twrp to be cm 11 compatible if its not at latest version, current version is like 2.7.0.0(least it is for the 7", havnet check to see if that builds out for 8.9 as well), anyways check the device manager for a device with a yellow triangle next it, if you don't see that and you do have a adb interface showing up but adb doesnt detect it then uninstall the adb device and mtp device and search for devices, if it still doesnt work look for a component device with a vid of 1949 in the properties>details>hardware id's section, if you find it then remove it and scan for device. Windows is a pain in terms of drivers for the kindle in different modes. Once adb is working its as simple as pushing the rom with adb push. You may need to factory reset and/or wipe internal storage so i recommend backing up the data, i would assume the current bootloop has something to do with either no factory reset before going to cm 11 or selinux issues, but that would mean the kernel didnt flash in the ota which would be weird.

Now I'm all screwed up. Before I saw this message, I restored my Kindle back to when it was still running the factory default OS with root, then I shut it down to enter TWRP, and it appeared on its own, but it was installing some sort of update... and when the Kindle's factory default OS appeared, my root was gone. Now I am stuck on the factory default Kindle HD 8.9" on System Version 8.4.8. Man, I should have never accepted that update and just left it as it was. Ugh. Well, for right now, there's an entry in my Device Manager that says "Kindle Fire" and when you click the arrow to bring down the submenu, it says "Android ADB Interface." The Kindle is now working when connected through USB. Now... how do I go about rooting this thing and getting TWRP on it again, because it seems the entire thing got erased. Not having my ROM installed on this thing makes it mostly useless to me. :(

Last edited:

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
Root with kffa or binary's root, think the newest version has different choices than the tutorial, use the old normal method. Last I checked it worked.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire HD using Tapatalk

GogoplataMMA

Apr 21, 2014
Root with kffa or binary's root, think the newest version has different choices than the tutorial, use the old normal method. Last I checked it worked.

I can't find anything. Download links are dead for KFFA. You have a link to get it through another source?

GogoplataMMA

Apr 21, 2014
Nah, the link is dead here. Says the file was removed. There are other members in the forum asking as well for a new link.
I managed to get ADB working, and in Device Manager, I have "Android Device -> Android Composite ADB Interface."
I open CMD and type "ADB" and it scrolls a bunch of stuff, but when I type "ADB Devices" I get a list with nothing there. It's just blank.
I tried using BIN4RY Revision 33, using Option #1, but it just keeps bringing me to a "Path not Found" error of some sort.
It looks like all I need to manage to do now is get ADB to list my Kindle device before attempting the ROOT, but how can I do that?
I still wanna give KFFA a try, but no downloads anywhere, and I don't trust random 4Share and the likes, not that it's gonna fix my problem.
I'm close... I just need this damn ADB to list my Kindle device and I think I'll be okay.
Also, I want to say thanks for the help you've given me so far. It's greatly appreciated. :highfive:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools>adb devices
List of devices attached

C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools>adb kill-server

C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools>adb start-server
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *

List of devices attached

C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools>

i.imgur.com/gZrrqXm.jpg

Last edited:

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
No problem, i like helping people fix things.
Try uninstalling the device and letting it search for new hardware. This is more than likely a driver issue.

GogoplataMMA

Apr 21, 2014
No problem, i like helping people fix things.
Try uninstalling the device and letting it search for new hardware. This is more than likely a driver issue.

Oh, believe me. I tried that like 50 times. I think I'm just gonna make a virtual machine of Win7, completely clean install without all my drivers everywhere, and try my luck there.

LinearEquation

Aug 26, 2013
Midwest
Oh, believe me. I tried that like 50 times. I think I'm just gonna make a virtual machine of Win7, completely clean install without all my drivers everywhere, and try my luck there.

From the administrator profile on your PC open a command prompt and type Bcdedit.exe -set TESTSIGNING ON then hit enter. Now restart your computer. This will disable Windows driver security enforcement. Then try to install the drivers in the device manager.

Sent from my Nexus 7 Flo running CM 11 4.4.2 with ElementalX Kernel using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

GogoplataMMA

Apr 21, 2014
From the administrator profile on your PC open a command prompt and type Bcdedit.exe -set TESTSIGNING ON then hit enter. Now restart your computer. This will disable Windows driver security enforcement. Then try to install the drivers in the device manager.

Sent from my Nexus 7 Flo running CM 11 4.4.2 with ElementalX Kernel using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Unfortunately, that didn't work. I'm pretty sure one or more of my drivers are interfering with the connection to the Kindle, but this is such an old OS with so many drivers, it's hard to tell.

Right now, I have a Virtual Machine of Windows 7 up. I plugged my Kindle in and I can instantly see it. I can even enter the internal storage! I'm currently installing the Android SDK for the ADB after installing the Java SE x86 version. Once I get ADB on it, I'll see if it lists my device now. Seems promising since the VM sees and allows me to already enter the internal storage, unlike my original Win7 OS.

EDIT #1: Great news! ADB now lists my device! Thing is... Root with Bin4ry Revision 33 does not seem to want to work. This is what I get...

======================================================================
= This script will root your Android phone with adb restore function =
= Script by Bin4ry (thanks to Goroh_kun and tkymgr for the idea) =
= Idea for Tablet S from Fi01_IS01 =
= (14.12.2013) v33 =
======================================================================

Device type:
0) Xperia Root by cubeundcube
1) New Standard-Root (thx Ariel Berkman)
2) New Xperia Root by Goroh_kun (Xperia Z, Xperia V [JellyBean] ...)
3) Old
4) Old-Special (for example: Sony Tablet S, Medion Lifetab)
G) Google Glass Mode (thx Saurik for the ab file)

x) Unroot

Make a choice: 1
Please connect Device with enabled USB-Debugging to your Computer
The system cannot find the path specified.
Doing a Backup first, please confirm this on your device!
The system cannot find the path specified.
Done!
Press any key to continue . . .

It doesn't give me a chance to do anything. All of that pops up as soon as I press enter. ADB and third party software is enabled on my Kindle. ADB even reads my device as:
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *
List of devices attached
B0C9110232560198 device

I'm at a loss now. Any ideas?

EDIT #2: Success! The issue was I was using Root with Bin4ry Revision 33. I should have been using Root with Bin4ry Revision 30. That worked, and I am now ROOT. Mission accomplished. Now the next part of my mission... figuring out how to get TWRP on this thing.

Last edited:

GogoplataMMA

Apr 21, 2014
Well, trying to install TWRP is going very wrong. I'm using the tutorial here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2128175

Everything seemed to work until I get to Step 3. I'll enter the commands but it tells me that there is no such directory or something. Something about there not being any "stack." Can't recall. I wanted to ask on the thread there but the site isn't allowing me to post there.

adb push stack /sdcard/ is where the issue occurs. Everything else worked.
I'm at a loss, and the comments don't seem to help on that thread. Please tell me there is an easier method of getting TWRP on this thing.

ERROR:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools>adb push stack /sdcard
/
cannot stat 'stack': No such file or directory

C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools>

Last edited:

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
That tutorial is for the 8.9. You want the tutorial for the 7". http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2218796

He's on a 8.9", he just posted in the wrong section. Use the fireflash method from seokhuns tutorial, just don't forget to check the box with red text near it or you will get a nice redscreen brick. Lemme grab a link

Edit: link grabbed! http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2277105

GogoplataMMA

Apr 21, 2014
I used FireFlash, followed the instruction... now I cannot get passed the first "Kindle Fire" logo when I turn the Kindle on. It just freezes at "Kindle Fire" as soon as I turn it on. I can't seem to do anything at all, and it won't connect via USB. Any ideas?

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
You missed a check box somewhere. If it is indeed a 8.9" kindle this should be fairly easy to fix. Open the device manager and plug the kindle in while it is off, it should briefly appear as a jem device. While it briefly shows up you need to right click it and hit update drivers and navigate to where you would have downloaded and extracted the drivers in my signature, once you manage to install them you just need to run a "fastboot -i 0x1949 getvar product" with the kindle unplugged and off, and then plug it in once it says waiting for device. It should then go into fastboot mode where you can restore from kffa or SRT.

GogoplataMMA

Apr 21, 2014
You missed a check box somewhere. If it is indeed a 8.9" kindle this should be fairly easy to fix. Open the device manager and plug the kindle in while it is off, it should briefly appear as a jem device. While it briefly shows up you need to right click it and hit update drivers and navigate to where you would have downloaded and extracted the drivers in my signature, once you manage to install them you just need to run a "fastboot -i 0x1949 getvar product" with the kindle unplugged and off, and then plug it in once it says waiting for device. It should then go into fastboot mode where you can restore from kffa or SRT.

It's not working... it won't read at all. Device Manager doesn't see the Kindle at all. And yes it is 8.9". I think it may be bricked now. ;'(
And all because of that stupid update... ughhhh. Sucks!

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
You should try the command from a Ubuntu live CD/USB if is a lot easier to do from there, if it won't work from there then I would be convinced something may be wrong with the bootloader, but I don't see the bootloader as the problem because if anything it would have just been downgraded and I'm more inclined to thinking the bootimg is corrupted. That can cause odd behavior with the bootloader. Are you positive this is the 8.9" model and not the 7" model?

GogoplataMMA

Apr 21, 2014
You should try the command from a Ubuntu live CD/USB if is a lot easier to do from there, if it won't work from there then I would be convinced something may be wrong with the bootloader, but I don't see the bootloader as the problem because if anything it would have just been downgraded and I'm more inclined to thinking the bootimg is corrupted. That can cause odd behavior with the bootloader. Are you positive this is the 8.9" model and not the 7" model?

I switched over to my main Windows 7 OS and did what you said. I connected it and it showed for a brief moment in Device Manager, so I quickly loaded the driver and updated. But wen I type the command you gave me, it says <waiting for device>, so I plug it back in and... nothing. At all. Just sits there at <waiting for device>

I'd try Linux, I have several copies of different OS's, but I'm not very good at working with it or using Terminal... I can try that though, but no clue how I'd get ADB or the Kindle to read on it. :\

And yes, 100% it's the 8.9". The resolution is 1200p.

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
OK the command has to be run while the device is off and disconnected, once it says waiting for device, plug the kindle in and it should work if the drivers are working. Linux is really easy to use with a kindle, it has the fastboot and adb drivers built in natively, only thing you need is the fastboot command from the Ubuntu repos if you are using Ubuntu, believe they were added to the repo in 13.10.