[IMG] n2T-Recovery - Nook Simple Touch - Factory Restore / Recovery [v:0.2 17.11.11]

Search This thread

mdall

Dec 13, 2010
Paris
Every NST contains unique data so it's not possible to make a generic restore image. It is possible to make one customised to your NST tho, I've made a few of those.

Do you know which unique data need to be modified in the image ? If so, I guess that we could create one replacing those data with blank values (or anything) and provide a guide or a script allowing people to modify these values by themselves.

ros87

Oct 12, 2010
Bodø
Do you know which unique data need to be modified in the image ? If so, I guess that we could create one replacing those data with blank values (or anything) and provide a guide or a script allowing people to modify these values by themselves.

Yes I do and that data is unique to every NST. It's vital for registering your NST with B&N.
This is why people need to take backups, even if your NST is allready "bricked", as that data is usually undamaged unless you formatted your NST entirely :)

Creating a custom restore image is not difficult, but it requires more skills and understanding than simply using a pre-built image to "root" your NST.

The people with the required skills know how to do this, or are able to figure it out themselves, and thus there's no need for a guide to be posted.

Most cases when people come here seeking help restoring a "bricked" NST is because they failed to propely read, follow and understand instructions.
Add to this the fact that people constantly fail to make a proper backup no matter how many times they are instructed to do so.
Now tell me it's good idea to hand them complicated instructions for something that might easily put their NST in an irreversible state ;)

Anyway, I've been quite busy at work lately, but I have a near-completed version of nookRestore that covers what you're asking for.

saniko

Jun 16, 2005
www.accenture.com
Completely Borked

ros87,

I'm embarrassed. I accidentally used Win32image and restored NookRestore over my Nook Touch. It doesn't respond to much... just shows /boot if I use the noogie image. I have a feeling I've lost my factory restore ability.

Any advice? I wish I had a backup to work with, but I do not. I had gone through the manual 1.1 rooted process but had not gotten Market working so I started over. It looks like I've busted my Nook Touch in the process.

Any help would be appreciated.

ros87

Oct 12, 2010
Bodø
ros87,

I'm embarrassed. I accidentally used Win32image and restored NookRestore over my Nook Touch. It doesn't respond to much... just shows /boot if I use the noogie image. I have a feeling I've lost my factory restore ability.

Any advice? I wish I had a backup to work with, but I do not. I had gone through the manual 1.1 rooted process but had not gotten Market working so I started over. It looks like I've busted my Nook Touch in the process.

Any help would be appreciated.

Ouch, that's not good, but I'm confident we can fix it :)
We'll take it on PM from here, check your Inbox in a few minutes.

Reactions: saniko

saniko

Jun 16, 2005
www.accenture.com
ros87 is Amazing!

ros87,
Thank you so much for your help! You saved me from another few hours of frustration with the nook touch. Frustration that would have likely driven me mad.

You rock!

elmonica

Oct 30, 2010
Beaverton, Oregon
Hi,
Just received my refurbished Nook Touch today and did the Barnes and Noble 1.1.0 firmware update and then did the SalsichaNooter04 rooting process. It seemed to go okay and I had market access, but after a number of app installations certain things were acting very strange, such as Aldiko would not open, even after a reboot.

While I wasn't sure what to do, I went ahead and ran the n2T-Recovery and completed the restore and the version number now says 1.0.0. I sort of was expecting to be back to where I was before the rooting process, without any bootloader or apps that I had installed from the market, but that was not the case. So, for the hell of it, I tried to do the reset procedure as well (many times), but it simply doesn't do anything.

I then tried to do the firmware update again to 1.1.0 by copying the zip file from Barnes and Nobles website to the root of my Nook and rebooting, but it just ignores the file.

So my question is how do I update my Nook Touch to 1.1.0 given this circumstance? Thanks.

P.S.
After doing the NT-Recovery procedures (v1 then v2, then v1 again), I noticed the google appps are gone, but the reading apps open fine.

mali100

Jun 3, 2007
This will always will always restore to 1.0.0. It uses a file thats preinstalled in the factory partition, and as long as you don't change that file it's 1.0.0.

To remove all traces of previous rooting attempts, use the "Erase & Deregister" function setting, in the "settings" -> "device info" section. After that, the update should work fine.
If you don't want to do that, try cwm to apply the update. It should work fine, but I haven't tested it yet.

To root try the MinimalTouch method.

elmonica

Oct 30, 2010
Beaverton, Oregon
I spoke too soon. The firmware update to 1.1.0 installed successfully after a couple of reboots. Now I just need to figure out what to do next.

---------- Post added at 11:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:38 AM ----------

To remove all traces of previous rooting attempts, use the "Erase & Deregister" function setting, in the "settings" -> "device info" section. After that, the update should work fine.

That worked. Thanks.

mali100

Jun 3, 2007
The firmware update to 1.1.0 installed successfully after a couple of reboots. Now I just need to figure out what to do next.
The update doesn't install after a reboot, but when the device is in sleep mode. If you have to do this again, just put the update file onto the internal memory, disconnect the usb, put the device in sleep mode by shortly pressing the Power-Button, wait until the device reboots.

mansol

Mar 18, 2008
ros87,
Thank you so much for your help! You saved me from another few hours of frustration with the nook touch. Frustration that would have likely driven me mad.

You rock!

Saniko please share your solution. I don't understand why solutions and ideas should be shared by PM. Thank you.

ros87

Oct 12, 2010
Bodø
Saniko please share your solution. I don't understand why solutions and ideas should be shared by PM. Thank you.

It's not possible to share a "generic" solution for cases like the one with Saniko.

When standard recovery methods doesn't work it requires quite a bit of analysis and a custom made solution for that particular case, if the case is at all solvable.

Applying that solution to a different case would not work, and could make the problem worse.

That's why I ask people to contact me on PM if the standard Recovery methods doesn't work for them.

Reactions: mansol

mansol

Mar 18, 2008
It's not possible to share a "generic" solution for cases like the one with Saniko.

When standard recovery methods doesn't work it requires quite a bit of analysis and a custom made solution for that particular case, if the case is at all solvable.

Applying that solution to a different case would not work, and could make the problem worse.

That's why I ask people to contact me on PM if the standard Recovery methods doesn't work for them.
Ok. I have the same situation. When I wanted to backup it with nookgie img it mounted only 2 partitions - one 1,82Gb or something like that but I couldn't see the files from it . Backuped that one and then stucked on rooted forever and after that nothing worked. So, for sure my nook now is empty. Last thing I tried is clockworkmod and after installing zip from sd didn't wanted to reboot. So please help me also :p. Thank you.

raster77

Oct 30, 2010
Hi all,

tried to root the nook, and did not make a backup of my original rom...
Try the method, it works fine, except that i can't register the nook at all, so the device is unusable!
I really need your help.
Thanks in advance.

Edit
When i try to sign in, here is the message:

Error
Sorry we're having trouble setting up your Nook. Please shutdown the device and try again.

If the problem persists, contact customer Support.

I just have Device info or power off

Last edited:

ros87

Oct 12, 2010
Bodø
Hi all,
tried to root the nook, and did not make a backup of my original rom...
Try the method, it works fine, except that i can't register the nook at all, so the device is unusable!

'lo

I'm assuming you're trying to use the exact same email and password you used to create your B&N account yes?

If the Factory Restore went trough without problems and you find yourself unable to re-register your device with your B&N account, you need to contact B&N Customer Service and ask them to manually de-register your NookST from your account.

Just tell them you did a Factory Restore and that you're unable to re-register it with your B&N account.

This is known to happen from time to time.

Previously it was possible to de-register your devices from the B&N account web page, but for some reason they've now removed this function.

-Roger

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [DISCLAIMER] Images are provideded "as is", use at your own risk!

[NOTE] This project is no longer maintained!

Quite a few people seem to end up in non-bootable-states (myself included) when trying to root/app/tweak etc..
    So I made a couple of images that will help you trigger Factory Restore on your Nook Simple Touch.

Compability:
    Nook Simple Touch - [1.0.0], [1.0.1], [1.1.0]

Requirements:
    - A microSD card of atleast 128MB of size (existing data will be lost)
    - Make sure your NST is charged! A failed root will drain your NST quickly without you noticing it!

Tools:
    - Windows: win32 Disk Imager
    - Linux: d'uh .. dd
    - Mac: diskutil and dd

Still unsure about tools?, look here

Versions: (You only need one of these depending on how messed up your NST is. Try 0.1 first!)
    - Version 0.1 [Without boot partition restoration] n2T-Recovery_0.1.rar (2MB)
    - Version 0.2 [With boot partition restoration] n2T-Recovery_0.2.rar (16MB)

Usage:
    - Uncompress the image
    - Write the image to your mSD card with one of the tools listed above.
    - Power up your Nook Touch with the mSD card inserted.
    - Follow the instructions displayed on the screen.

If all went well you should see the factory restore screen popping up in 10-20 seconds after reboot, and you'll be back to the version your NST was originally shipped with* when it's finished.

If it doesn't, please share your "detailed" story in this thread and feel free to PM me, I've restored quite a few "hopeless" cases :)

[*] Factory Restore doesn't wipe your /data

Update:
    26.11.2012 - Added new download links
    28.01.2012 - Moved files to new server

Changelog:
    [0.1]
    - Initial release

[0.2]
    - Rewrites boot partition before triggering Factory Restore

Credits:
    - Based on Nook Simple Touch 1.0.0 boot partition
    - Made possible by Noogie image by nookDevs
    Scary!

But good solution when everything else fails. Thanks!

Nothing scary about it, it only writes to a single file on your N2 to trick it into believing there has been 8 missed boot attempts. :)
    That is good to know, because timed things on smartphone and the like is a usual way to messy results. Try putting an iphone in DFU mode in order to jailbreak it...

Ah I see your point, but there's really no timing involved with this process.
    Cleaned up the instructions a little, thank you.
    Answers -
    1. By "hanging" I meant it's stuck on the last little bit of writing the restore img - never quite finishes.

Ok, so the factory restore got triggered but didn't complete, wonder why.
    Did you try to trigger restore again?

I'm gonna look into adding more advanced recovery options to the tool.

2. Just go to BN site and you can download "update.zip 1.01" for the Touch - it gets applied by placing on the root of the internal memory and booting up

Yes I know, but you said you wrote it to sdcard with winimage, which didn't make any sense :)