DON'T ACCEPT OTA UPDATES

Search This thread

1ManWolfePack

Jul 11, 2012
Re: DO NOT ACCEPT OTA UPDATES!

When the software update pops up on your screen, there is an option to reject it not just defer it. So you aren't forced to install it

Sent from my virgin Note 2

I watched it install when the rep turned on my phone to activate. Not much I could do short of punching the guy in the face...

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Vegas863

Feb 22, 2010
Lakeland
When the software update pops up on your screen, there is an option to reject it not just defer it. So you aren't forced to install it

Sent from my virgin Note 2

I don't recall seeing an option to reject the update (may have just missed it). Does anyone know if you did defer the update, can you continue to defer (or reject) it when it attempts to remind you again? Mine is set to remind me again tomorrow afternoon and I'd like to just reject it then, if possible. Either way, I damn sure don't want it auto-installing after my defer period arrives.

Jimjk1968

Jan 18, 2011
citrus heights

I'm 1/2 tempted to flash it, then to take the phone to Verizon (as instructed) and cancel my goddamned service right there. There is NOTHING in my contract saying that I can't flash custom roms so this is just a malicious attempt to brick people's phones on Verizon's part.

This is exactly why I'm pissed. The fact the Verizon would go to this extreme and possibly put someone at risk of ending up with a 5.5 inch paper weight. Once I bought this phone it became mine. With that said I will remain on beans unlocked and happy for ever. This rom is perfection. :)

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: Joe T

digiblur

Jul 24, 2007

I watched it install when the rep turned on my phone to activate. Not much I could do short of punching the guy in the face...

I would have told him nope. That's not what I paid for and demand another phone or cancel the transaction.

-- "Sensorly or it didn't happen!"

eikast

Feb 22, 2012

Go back to that store and demand an exchange. The guy shouldn't have done anything to your phone such as update it.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

1ManWolfePack

Jul 11, 2012

I would have told him nope. That's not what I paid for and demand another phone or cancel the transaction.

-- "Sensorly or it didn't happen!"

Dude, it happened so fast it was too late. I had no idea an OTA rolled out yesterday. It literally applied in seconds. I saw the screen and it rebooted. I could have told him I wanted grey instead of white, but I just thought of that. Lol.

I have faith.

---------- Post added at 04:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:45 PM ----------

I'm 1/2 tempted to flash it, then to take the phone to Verizon (as instructed) and cancel my goddamned service right there. There is NOTHING in my contract saying that I can't flash custom roms so this is just a malicious attempt to brick people's phones on Verizon's part.

Let us know how that works for ya.

This is exactly why I'm pissed. The fact the Verizon would go to this extreme and possibly put someone at risk of ending up with a 5.5 inch paper weight. Once I bought this phone it became mine. With that said I will remain on beans unlocked and happy for ever. This rom is perfection. :)

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda app-developers app

I've yet to read of one instance where someone who didn't tinker or unlock their phone got bricked from an OTA. You took your chances unlocking and rooting it. If you didn't (stayed stock) and an OTA bricked you?? That's a different story. You don't hear about it because it doesn't happen.

Joe T

Nov 18, 2010
Fingerlakes, NY
Dude, it happened so fast it was too late. I had no idea an OTA rolled out yesterday. It literally applied in seconds. I saw the screen and it rebooted. I could have told him I wanted grey instead of white, but I just thought of that. Lol.

I have faith.

---------- Post added at 04:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:45 PM ----------

Let us know how that works for ya.

I've yet to read of one instance where someone who didn't tinker or unlock their phone got bricked from an OTA. You took your chances unlocking and rooting it. If you didn't (stayed stock) and an OTA bricked you?? That's a different story. You don't hear about it because it doesn't happen.

It will work out just fine. I'm not under contract and I've been paying full price for my phones for a little over a year. If they break something I paid for I'll (very publicly and disruptively) take my business elsewhere.

1ManWolfePack

Jul 11, 2012

Well, no contract is a different story.

rlt9999

Dec 25, 2011
Freedom, PA
Originally Posted by 1ManWolfePack I watched it install when the rep turned on my phone to activate. Not much I could do short of punching the guy in the face... Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2.[/QUOTE said:
If I were you I would take the phone back to the store and demand another one. I've never bought a phone at Verizon that the sales person has accepted an update on it. When I bought my DX about 2 years ago there was an update available for it but it was up to me to accept the update (or not).

Last edited:
Reactions: johnminator

skourg3

Jun 13, 2010
Why cant Samsung and Verizon just leave this **** alone and let android be real AOSP.

For what it's worth, arbitrary code execution is a pretty serious vulnerability. Obviously it's often what allows devs to do what they do, but most sane software devs don't intentionally leave major security holes in their product. It might look like Samsung/VZW is "out to get you" or some such, but it's just as likely that their intent is to prevent people from having their devices (that store lots of personal info in the form of sms/mms, saved passwords, app data that usually includes apps for financial institutions like credit cards, etc) compromised.

I know this isn't exactly the normal mindset around these parts, but sometimes you have to look at it from the other side too.

1ManWolfePack

Jul 11, 2012

If I were you I would take the phone back to the store and demand another one. I've never bought a phone at Verizon that the sales person has accepted an update on it. When I bought my DX about 2 years ago there was an update available for it but it was up to me to accept the update (or not).

Guy - he turned the phone on to activate the line/sim and it rebooted to apply. I don't own a time machine, so I couldn't reverse time and take him out to stop it.

I'm not worried too much. I'm sure someone will find a way back in...

GoBears

Nov 1, 2011
I also finally had the cash to get one yesterday and it's already on vrall4. I'm lost without my root lol. All this bloat and stupid wifi notification.

Scott

Retired Recognized Developer
can someone try applying the update, then flashing unauthorized software, then turn off the phone and let it charge? It may not perform checks and we can hack the security via UART from a custom kernel.

You mean, lock stock and barrel?

If so it will dump recovery.img and you may not be able to flash.

I didint look that hard though... I just saw sboot and said f-that.

I can try it when I get home. If I loose root it will go abck to VZW and we can try again.

EDIT: No, isnt one of the checks a recovery partition check to ensure correct recovery via hash? Like I said, I didint look hard, I justy stripped otu what needed to go and threw it all into a stock base and applied it get base and modem.

Edit2: Eitherway, I will try it if I am understanding you correctly.

I can bypass any checks though if you need and force the OTA like I did but leave the Sboot. Is that what you want?

Last edited:

BeansTown106

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 22, 2011
BeanTown USA

id go back tomorrow and trade it for another one and say i want it without the update.. if he says no then i recommend punching him in the face and walking out lmfao!

can someone try applying the update, then flashing unauthorized software, then turn off the phone and let it charge? It may not perform checks and we can hack the security via UART from a custom kernel.

im thinking this wont work only because of the video u made blatantly telling them that they are dumbasses and u had a uart root prompt while charging :p, if they patched the other exploit why wouldnt they patch the charging one..

Reactions: 1ManWolfePack

Scott

Retired Recognized Developer
id go back tomorrow and trade it for another one and say i want it without the update.. if he says no then i recommend punching him in the face and walking out lmfao!

im thinking this wont work only because of the video u made blatantly telling them that they are dumbasses and u had a uart root prompt while charging :p, if they patched the other exploit why wouldnt they patch the charging one..

I wont even let them put SIM cards in my phone. The dont argue. They just give me the SIM and the phone and I walk out... But anyways...

We wont know until he tries.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    UPDATE: New Jailbreak here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2118348

Ci0gY.png

Here's the bottom line up-front
    Samsung has inserted code to blacklist our baseline and mitigate our exploits in the bootloader patch they began pushing out last night. You will need to flash the updated bootloader baseline and stock pit in order to restore your device to operational status. The How-To Unlock your Bootloader thread is invalid at this time.

Going Forward
    I need your help with CASUAL. In order to mitigate this problem, I began working on a CASUAL update system on January 13. If you feel inconvienced now, contribute to the Casual Update System beta by testing it. Currently, CASUAL is dumb. If there is a problem you won't know until after you flash. The idea behind the Update System is to either update the CASUAL to work again, or kill-switch it and automatically bring you to a thread like this one. Obviously it's infinitely more helpful than a simple failure and I need testing on Windows, Linux, Mac and firewalls.

The CASUAL Unlock method will be updated when we figure it out and it will be possible to auto-update or do a helpful kill-switch in the next version.

Addressing Security Patches:
    Recognized Developer Ralekdev has began work on a new exploit. It's not going to be as simple as it was before.

Bootloader Blacklisting
    You can view the updated code here: http://pastie.org/private/zzfhwlrgeeuzweiccjdpvg#22
    Previously, Odin Mode would accept any SBOOT with the proper signature. Samsung has implemented a blacklist which causes properly signed flashes to fail if they are contained in the blacklist.
    Code:
          bytes_to_hexstr(BL1_blacklist_str, base_addr + 0x1BF0, 16);
          if ( !strcmp(BL1_blacklist_str, BL1_blacklists[i]) )
          {
            sub_43E03A00("BL1 of the blacklist - %s\n", BL1_blacklists[i]);
            return -1;
          }
    The old bootloader contained random ARM hex data "CD D2 04 85 63 83 52 7C C9 8A 97 1A CD 30 78 FB".. The new one contains an identifier "EXYNOS_4412 1220". The new bootloader is also programmed to not be able to flash itself.

Non-Header Code Execution
    You can view the updated code here: http://pastie.org/private/ryxaraypnnhbmtt6nswvq
    Previously, if the ANDROID header was missing from the kernel, SBOOT would execute the partition as raw ARM code. This allowed Ralekdev's exploit to jump into the SBOOT.bin and execute download mode without security checks. However the code has been replaced..
    Code:
      if ( !memcmp(v5, "ANDROID!", 8) )
      {
        *** DO NORMAL SECURE BOOT ****
      }
      else
      {
        dprintf("Could not do normal boot. (invalid magic)\n");// this is where we exploited it last time to load my code
        s5p_start_download_mode(v9);
      }
      return 0;
    }
    So obviously, this execution of arbitrary code exploit has been patched.

Conclusion
    We are working to bring a new exploit and make it easier that the last one. Ralekdev will be analyzing and working on a new exploit. I will work on deployment techniques. For now if youre having problems, flash back to stock and root your device.
    You answered your own question.

That was funny!

Here is the part about the OTA that is being left out.

If you look at the OTA it wont execute the updater portion of bootloader until the end.

The first thing the OTA does is examine the partitions, files, etc to see if they have been altered... If the checks fail the OTA just quits with error 7 (or 8 I forget). When it quits nothing flashes. This will occur on pretty much any custom ROM unless you edit the OTA to bypass the checks (see next line)...

I'm not saying be stupid and TRY to flash the OTA on a custom ROM but I built an L4 base last night with the OTA so you really dont need to anyways. To do this I had to remove those checks I just mentioned.

This thread should be sticked in two forums, this and general, because people thinking about rooting and on the edge need to do so now before the stock ROM forces the OTA!

But as far as a custom ROM accepting and succesfully flashing the OTA? Pretty much zero to none. Trust me on this ;c)

-Scott
    SOB.... I took it today hoping it was 4.2 and it ended up being:

Android Version 4.1.2
    Build number jzo54k.i605vramc3
    Harware version i605.06

I'm gonna wait till Beans release a 4.2 rom and then root and flash.

Ya but by taking that ota u probably just lost the ability to unlock.. Will do a build of new ota when I get home from work about 45 mins

Just a heads up for everyone - after many attempts, I was finally able to boot my phone. I had to take the .pit file from Adam's post, and then download this stock image - http://androidjinn.com/root-verizon-galaxy-note-2-i605.html/2 & follow the directions. It was the ONLY stock rom that successfully restored me in ODIN. Everything else prior, such as imnuts stock rom, would result in a FAIL after attempting to load the sbin.boot files.

Hope this may be of help to anyone, because I know I sure struggled! Through struggle comes growth - HUZZAH!
    I warned people not to flash it. I warned, and it was brushed aside because someone thought you could re-unlock (without 100% confirmation).

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2106158

Thanks for more information on the issue.