[REQ] Flashing Cooked ROMs from SD Card

Search This thread

vichet007

Oct 31, 2007
HSPL is released by bepe here but there is limitation of flashing ROM from SD Card if the cooked ROM image includes SPL.

Now Question and Request:

I am wondering if SPL can be removed from cooked ROM image. If yes, I would suggest to ALL CHEFS to remove SPL from the ROM image, so that everyone can flash all cooked ROM from SD Card without overwriting HSPL.

Anyone, any idea?

Last edited:

band27

Sep 25, 2008
Toronto
Guys, when I was clarifying in bepe's thread regarding this, I think it was only a NO, NO, with having stocked Roms in the SD card as Stocked Roms would contain the SPL package.

Cooked Roms don't have this thus SD flashing should be fine...
Can I have a chef please confirm this so that this confusion can be put to rest.

Last edited:

vichet007

Oct 31, 2007
Guys, when I was clarifying in bepe's threading regarding this, I think it was only a NO, NO, with having stocked Roms in the SD card as Stocked Roms would contain the SPL package.

Cooked Roms don't have this thus SD flashing should be fine...
Can I have a chef please confirm this so that this confusion can be put to rest.

You may be right.

Yeah, it would be great to have some chef confirming this so that we feel safe when flashing cooked ROM from SD card.

band27

Sep 25, 2008
Toronto
Ok, I have confirmation from Xannytech, SPL's are included in chef's Rom so at this stage in the development......

NEVER FLASH YOUR DEVICE USING THE SD CARD UNLESS IT"S SPECIFIED BY THE CHEF THAT ITS SAFE TO DO SO.

CHEFS should mentioned on their First page as they usually do, the Best way to Flash their Rom.

Perhaps in the future Roms maybe SD Flash Friendly, but at this stage they are NOT. Well some are but not to make matters confusing, just simple use your PC-USB way of flashing.

Last edited:

xvx45

Jan 16, 2007
France
Ok, I have confirmation from Xannytech, SPL's are included in chef's Rom so at this stage in the development......

NEVER FLASH YOUR DEVICE USING THE SD CARD UNLESS IT"S SPECIFIED BY THE CHEF THAT ITS SAFE TO DO SO.

CHEFS should mentioned on their First page as they usually do, the Best way to Flash their Rom.

Perhaps in the future Roms maybe SD Flash Friendly, but at this stage they are NOT. Well some are but not to make matters confusing, just simple use your PC-USB way of flashing.
I don't really understand why to include SPL.nb to custom ROM... I never see this in other phone model. I'll take a look to a part of actual ROM but I really don't understand. I think to have ONLY OS.nb and some time a RADIO.nb is sufficient (and less dangerous) [SPL flash can brick the device but not OS].
So I haven't coocked with new style kitchen (old-style coocking ;) ) I'll take a look to this.

djet

Dec 14, 2006
Moscow
I don't really understand why to include SPL.nb to custom ROM... I never see this in other phone model. I'll take a look to a part of actual ROM but I really don't understand. I think to have ONLY OS.nb and some time a RADIO.nb is sufficient (and less dangerous) [SPL flash can brick the device but not OS].
So I haven't coocked with new style kitchen (old-style coocking ;) ) I'll take a look to this.

Same for me, I wonder why one would include SPL.

Last edited:

vichet007

Oct 31, 2007
Guys, I had flashed two ROMs (Topix 1.1.2 and SONE 1.1) from SD card without any problem. HSPL was not overwritten.

However, it would be very helpful for chef to mention if their ROM includes SPL in their post.

Darkyy

Retired Recognized Developer
Nov 17, 2009
Winterthur
www.darkyrom.com
I still don't understand HOW TO FLASH FROM SD-CARD after i applied the HSPL patch?

I read the HSPL thread but i still don't know it. Help appreciated ;)

el_rob

Feb 26, 2008
I still don't understand HOW TO FLASH FROM SD-CARD after i applied the HSPL patch?

I read the HSPL thread but i still don't know it. Help appreciated ;)

From [TUT] How to change from one official ROM to another:

6 (normal): Put your Favourite OFFICIAL Rom on the Leo
--a:Right click on your exampleOFFICIALrom.exe and Extract it to a folder
--b:From the extracted file locate RUU_signed.nbh and rename it LEOIMG.nbh
--c:Copy the LEOIMG.nbh file to your MicroSD card
--d: Make sure your phone is charged at least 80% then power it off
--e: Press and hold the VOLUME DOWN then Press POWER button
--f: A menu will appear select (usually the power button) to continue to write the ROM
--g:After 5-10 minutes the phone should tell you the ROM was successfully written and the bar is full. You can now press reset (the small Red button beside the battery, use a pen)
Instead of the official ROM, copy and rename the cooked ROM of your choice...

Cheers!
Rob

band27

Sep 25, 2008
Toronto
Guys, I had flashed two ROMs (Topix 1.1.2 and SONE 1.1) from SD card without any problem. HSPL was not overwritten.

However, it would be very helpful for chef to mention if their ROM includes SPL in their post.

Xanny's Rom does include the SPL but its just not any SPL that will impact the HARD SPL , it's the SPL that contains the 1.42.000 one that will override the HDSPL.

Last edited:

chris_ah1

Jan 4, 2010
London
Well quite simply I dont understand the worry.
First off, always install HSPL just in case you dont have a goldcard.
Then always flash a cooked rom with SSPL and you will never have to worry about it!

problem solved.

And should you re-install a stock ROM either via HTC's website or stage 6 as posted, re-install HSPL again.

Problem solved.

And if you're really paranoid have a goldcard anyway :)

band27

Sep 25, 2008
Toronto
Well quite simply I dont understand the worry.
First off, always install HSPL just in case you dont have a goldcard.
Then always flash a cooked rom with SSPL and you will never have to worry about it!

problem solved.

And should you re-install a stock ROM either via HTC's website or stage 6 as posted, re-install HSPL again.

Problem solved.

And if you're really paranoid have a goldcard anyway :)

First off, Hard SPL is to be only done once.
Secondly, having Hard SPL and using SSPL is not only redundant but makes no sense.
Thirdly, just flashing using the Active Sync bottom line.
Forth, for Folks who want to flash via SD card, just do it and you can always check Bootloader after to see if you wiped out HDSPL. No biggy, just make sure your flash HDSPL over again for your next flash.

Still easier then using SSPL & Gold Card route.
Enough Said...;)

chris_ah1

Jan 4, 2010
London
Firstly: But you will have to do HSPL more than once if you flash a stock ROM or a cooked ROM that overwrites HSPL? or do no cooked roms do that?

Secondly: I only thought that you should use SSPL just incase the cooked rom overwrote HSPL?

Thirdly: duh, yeah i didnt see the obvious. sorry.

Fourth: yeah, you're right - I was just thinking what if the ROM hosed the device lol and you werent able to re-install HSPL.

I could be totally wrong - never done this stuff before. just getting the technical stuff right first before i plow in with an actual device.

thanks for any tips.