[ROM][4.3] Unofficial OmniROM builds for Nexus 7 (grouper) [MULTIWINDOW][16/10]

Search This thread

armyboy11b

Feb 10, 2012
new orleans
ROM runs good but I try to use multi window and doesn't work it just brings me back to a recent app I used instead . if I go into contacts then open play store I hold down recents button and it'll bring me back to contacts instead of showing both .root works for me once I flashed supersu 1.51 then updated so everything else runs like it should for me besides multi window :/

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

brizey

Aug 6, 2011
ROM runs good but I try to use multi window and doesn't work it just brings me back to a recent app I used instead . if I go into contacts then open play store I hold down recents button and it'll bring me back to contacts instead of showing both .root works for me once I flashed supersu 1.51 then updated so everything else runs like it should for me besides multi window :/

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

You don't hold down the recents button. You long press on the app in the recents window and pick the add to multiwindow or whatever it says.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium HD app

D

Darth

Hey guys! Quiet here. LOL. Does that mean rom is running nice??

Was wondering how flash is working? I haven't used any 4.3 for awhile cause I stream stuff on my N7 a lot and couldn't get flash working smooth with just about any browser.

Any input appreciated. ;)

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

D

Darth

I didn't have lag. But I'm on a 4.2.2 rom now, cause flash just is way too flaky or doesn't work at all on anything I try above 4.2.2. Yes....I've read and tried everything. And no go. ;)

Sent from my SGH-T989D using xda app-developers app

TToTT

Nov 18, 2013
xdaforums.com
Hey guys! Quiet here. LOL. Does that mean rom is running nice?? ... Was wondering how flash is working? ...
Any input appreciated. ;)

It's quiet here because... Well, a couple reasons, but most notably, a move of venue and lack of PSAs. ;)
But yes, the roms are running pretty exceptionally (withstanding expected implementation of planned things to come) and flashing's just fine.
As to where things have "gone"... Effectively, if you're looking for Omni rom for our beloved grouper, there's a couple pages you can check out...

OmniRom (no Asylum, "standard" edition, unofficail releases) for grouper 4.4 can be found here:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2523330

As well as the 4.3.1 version here:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2486811

If you're looking for Asylum...
(and for those of you who might not know, Asylum edition is a lighter (smaller) version of the official OmniRom, with a lot of blacked-out theming overhaul and lots of "dark" wallpaper access....)
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2051904 (This is a thread for the Samsung Galaxy Note GT-N7000, but it's on Asylum and seems to have a headlock on all conversations about said rom.

For Asylum's take on Omni on the grouper, check out:
http://asylumrom.com/Asylum/Asylum-Roms/KitKat-4.4/Grouper/
For other device's availablity of Asylum, parent directory up a couple times, or simply:
http://asylumrom.com/Asylum/Asylum-Roms/

If I helped you any, thanks are always appreciated. :good::fingers-crossed::D

Reactions: ploopower79

Tweakecho

Jul 30, 2007
Jacksonville
Ive taken this lul time to learn some tricks of the trade...omni seems to be quite friendly for noobs I had my first booting build on the second day..(compiled overnight) now im trying to learn git and repos along with learning how to cherry pick things...definatly still a wip for me :) but flashing things allthe time ;) they just dont always work lol....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using xda app-developers app

Larry94

Apr 2, 2011
Latest nightly has an Immersive Mode Tile. Makes it immersive everywhere, and you can get buttons back with a swipe from the bottom. It's friggin sweet.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

physwizz

Sep 16, 2013
Sydney
split screen

I got the split screen to work on the custom_grouper-ota-eng.chaoszx.zip.
The next stage is to try and get each part of the screen to resize to be able to access all parts of the app. At the moment you can only get half of it with some apps. It also depends which app is in the top half and which is in the bottom half.
I still think it's great.
Chrome beta and play store work well together but it would be nice to have a floating keyboard.

Edit: I found split and float keyboard and it works great. Unfortunately the keyboard only works with the lower screen.

Last edited:

razzor1984

Oct 12, 2012
I have a strange problem, i changed my rom from CM to Omni Rom(clean install) with the intention to get rid of all google related stuff.
Everting worked smoothly, but when i tried to install my apks, the build in Filemanager "Dokuments" cant read/open any apks.
The second Problem is, when i connect to my PC (win.8.1) the devic isnt displayed in the explorer (MTP device is enabled)

greets Razzor

Last edited:

Rapture Veteran

Jul 18, 2011
might not be the best place to put it but i flashed the nightly from the omnirom site, anyone else? doesnt seem to have multiwindow support yet on 4.4 even though they claim to. no add to split view available

physwizz

Sep 16, 2013
Sydney
otg charging

I'm using the custom rom and multiscreen is working just fine.
Does anyone know of a kernel that will work with this rom to access otg charging.
I tried kangaroo but it wouldn't finish booting.

Edit: metallice mr2 actually charges via otg even though it reports that it's not charging, but it won't read a pendrive at the same time.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    OmniROM Unofficial Builds

As you all know, OmniROM has been announced yesterday. This brand new ROM contains a lot of new, exciting functionality. One of these new functions is the multi-window support! Just like ROMs on some Galaxy Notes, or the ancient Cornerstone, you can run two applications simultaneously! Aside from that, the best thing about this ROM is the focus on the community: while the ROM itself is not available yet, the developers behind it really seem to be willing to listen to the community, which is a really good thing.

As the team of OmniROM states on their website:

Omni is what custom ROMs used to be about – innovation, new features, transparency, community, and freedom. We offer you an alternative to other ROMs that may choose to water down their distribution at the expense of providing options for the user.

And the list of features as listed by XpLoDWilD in this topic:

Flippable Quick Settings
    Roadrunner mode
    Multi-window(!)
    Daydream enhancements
    Integrated Performance Control
    Multi-workspace
    Color-changeable, 3D depth Phase Beam
    And a bunch more

Unofficial builds

However, builds are not available yet. Logically, the ROM probably has not been thoroughly tested yet and that's why they are not building their source on a nightly basis. If you are as impatient as I am, you probably want to get your hands on this ROM as soon as possible! That's why I compiled OmniROM from source, for the Nexus 7 (grouper).

This flashable ZIP has not been tested yet by myself, but it should be OK. Compiled on Ubuntu 13.04 x86_64, completely as-is from the repository of OmniROM. Let me say again that this ROM is not modified by me; it is directly compiled from source and packaged into a ZIP. All credits go to the team behind OmniROM at http://omnirom.org.

Downloads

The builds below will probably be updated about every three days. I recompile from source whenever significant modifications are added to the multi-window functionality.

16/10 (working fine, with multi-window)
    custom_grouper-ota-eng.chaoszx.zip (145.9 MB)
    https://mega.co.nz/#!yEsHkDSa!PtTVqVPcvFY3FqP20M-1Vnq87rkVMPKJJ4aPuJA0IH8

14/10 (does not boot):
    omnirom-4.3-20131014-NIGHTLY-grouper-unofficial.zip (138.7 MB)
    https://mega.co.nz/#!HVF3DDAY!FveJvAE2Wffm2WNcezemTAwHYAleOKf13-zg82cZ118

Thank you

If you appreciate the time I spend to compile these ROMs from source for you, a donation would be appreciated as it would cover a bit of my expenses on power. Aside from that, I am hoping to save some money before I go to university next year, so any donation is much appreciated! PayPal donations can be sent to corepwn20@gmail.com. Thank you in advance for your support.

Notes
    Multi-window can be activated by opening an app. Then go back to the launcher by pressing Home. Load up another app. Press the Multitask button, long-press the app you opened previously, and hit 'Split View'.

The Back button is not working at boot. To fix it, go to Settings > Language and Input > Default (under Keyboard & Input Methods) > Google Keyboard. The force closes of the AOSP keyboard won't happen now, and your Back button will work fine.
    Build that boots up + has split view is being compiled now. Within a few hours it will be available :)
    We are golden! Booting up! Screenshots coming within 10 minutes, ROM coming within an hour!

Edit: the strangeness. Back-button is not working, but that is not the biggest issue. It seems to be working alright, but the multi-window functionality can't be found anywhere. I synced the repository to the latest version, so I am wondering why I can't find it..

Edit2: Apparently, since they did not find the multi-window feature stable enough yet, it is not yet merged into mainline. This means that I have to compile the ROM once again to add the patch for it manually. But hey, at least we know it will work when that's done. Sorry for the delay guys. However, tomorrow you'll have a ROM that will definitely boot up and have multi-window. If you are interested, I can already upload this build (which just doesn't have multi-window, but is working fine otherwise). New build will start within an hour. Upload will be tomorrow or this night ;)
    Machine is still compiling for about 3 hours now. Be patient, compiling a ROM on a dual core E2180 from 2007-ish takes a long time :)
    Dj6d13q.jpg

Hang in there. It is compiling the APK files now. It is probably almost ready. Testing in about half an hour I think ;)