51.1.2.0_user_512073320 Source Code Uploaded

Search This thread

AFTVnews.com

Jul 22, 2014
www.AFTVnews.com
Amazon has already made the current "root blocking" software update's source code available. This is a bit strange since for the previous version, 51.1.1.0_user_511070220, they didn't upload the source until the update was "official" (i.e., their documentation page listed it as the latest version).

I've created a page at AFTVnews.com/software to keep track of all the Fire TV software versions. Feel free to comment on the page or in this thread if I'm missing any information, or I have something listed incorrectly.

rbox

Recognized Developer
Apr 22, 2011
Amazon has already made the current "root blocking" software update's source code available. This is a bit strange since for the previous version, 51.1.1.0_user_511070220, they didn't upload the source until the update was "official" (i.e., their documentation page listed it as the latest version).

I've created a page at AFTVnews.com/software to keep track of all the Fire TV software versions. Feel free to comment on the page or in this thread if I'm missing any information, or I have something listed incorrectly.

So I think I am going to call shenanigans on Amazon. The kernel source is the same between 51.1.1.0 and 51.1.2.0, yet towelroot, which exploits a kernel bug stopped working. If they fixed the kernel to patch the exploit, it should show up in the diff.

rp201

Dec 18, 2010
So I think I am going to call shenanigans on Amazon. The kernel source is the same between 51.1.1.0 and 51.1.2.0, yet towelroot, which exploits a kernel bug stopped working. If they fixed the kernel to patch the exploit, it should show up in the diff.

perhaps puts to the kernel build tree is frozen. it may be a simple file change which breaks it. They released the code to show you where it wasn't so you could undo. I'm sure there is a smart developer who knows leaving it open to towelroot means more device sales. he just has to appease his boss who was given the call "shut it down"

AFTVnews.com

Jul 22, 2014
www.AFTVnews.com

That's very interesting. So you're saying it looks like they explicitly blocked towelroot without patching the exploit that towelroot uses?

rbox

Recognized Developer
Apr 22, 2011
Is it possible that towelroot may still work on the latest update with some tweaks to the modstrings?

If I put trust in Amazon that they didn't slip a change in the kernel without putting it in the source drop, then that's a possibility. I don't really know much about towelroot, but I did notice about the modstrings when I was reading about it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Is it possible that towelroot may still work on the latest update with some tweaks to the modstrings?