[Q] General questions about customization

Search This thread

opoBear

Aug 23, 2014
Hi there, XDA!

I have recently received my OnePlus One, and I'm switching from Apple (iPhone 5S), which I have used many years (Apple that is), and I have always jailbroken my device, because otherwise iOS/Apple is a complete waste of money, IMO.
Anyways, I haven't used Android since HTC Hero, which I found way to slow and not very smooth, which actually lead to me choosing Apple!
Since I haven't used Android in such a long time, my expertise and research skills are unfortunately not enough to get what I want.

So, the first thing I thought of, when I got the OnePlus One, was that I had to root it, even though it comes shipped with Cyanogen mod, I love to customize my phones and "hack" them as much as I can to get the most use out of my phone.
I have installed the crDroid Rom, which I enjoy using, since it's simple and have a lot of good features. --- I would greatly appreciate any suggestions to a simple, yet functional rom for the OnePlus one though.

Alright, now for the questions;

1. Is there any way to make Halo work on the lockscreen?
    If so, can I enable the floating-app-window function, on the lockscreen as well?
  2. Are there any way of enabling the floating-app-window function, that Halo have - ON the lockscreen? This is so I can quickly reply from multiple apps, and not just the stock messaging app / email app. This is why I don't want Handcent SMS client etc.. <-- this is actually the most important part of my questions, so any help would be grateful! (and yes; I have been searching!)
    The floating-app-window function would be great for any app in general! Like launching any app on the lockscreen/home/under any app to quickly use it, then dismiss it.
  3. Is there any app like the Cydia app "Flex"? This is an app that can tweak other apps, by kind of "patching" them on-the-go. I know there is something called "Lucky Patcher", but this is used for piracy, afaik, and I'm not a huge fan of piracy, so this is not an option. (plus, they generally contain a lot of malware/bloatware/adware)

So, that sums up my questions for my new phone so far, thanks for reading and hopefully replying!

Cheers,
- opoBear

Heisenberg

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 29, 2011
Knocking on your door
OnePlus 9 Pro
I would greatly appreciate any suggestions to a simple, yet functional rom for the OnePlus one though.

Asking which ROM is best/most stable/fastest/prettiest, or asking for a suggestion isn't allowed so nobody can answer that, here's why. To say one ROM is better is to infer that the others are inferior in some way. This is disrespectful to the devs who spend their spare time bringing us these awesome ROMs free of charge. Each user has different tastes anyway, the best way to see which ROM suits you is to flash a few and find out for yourself.

If so, can I enable the floating-app-window function, on the lockscreen as well?
  2. Are there any way of enabling the floating-app-window function, that Halo have - ON the lockscreen? This is so I can quickly reply from multiple apps, and not just the stock messaging app / email app. This is why I don't want Handcent SMS client etc.. <-- this is actually the most important part of my questions, so any help would be grateful! (and yes; I have been searching!)
    The floating-app-window function would be great for any app in general! Like launching any app on the lockscreen/home/under any app to quickly use it, then dismiss it.

1. No, and no. That would completely defeat the purpose of the lockscreen. If you want that kind of functionality you can disable your lockscreen.

[*]Is there any app like the Cydia app "Flex"? This is an app that can tweak other apps, by kind of "patching" them on-the-go. I know there is something called "Lucky Patcher", but this is used for piracy, afaik, and I'm not a huge fan of piracy, so this is not an option. (plus, they generally contain a lot of malware/bloatware/adware)
So, that sums up my questions for my new phone so far, thanks for reading and hopefully replying!

Cheers,
- opoBear

What exactly do you mean by 'patching' other apps? That isn't very specific.

Transmitted via Bacon

Reactions: opoBear

opoBear

Aug 23, 2014
Thank you for the reply.
IMO, it wouldn't defeat the purpose of the lockscreen, at all. Especially if you could chose which apps that were floatable on the lockscreen.

As for asking which ROM, that was mainly to hear other people's opinion, no offense intended, so no need to be insanely cocky, lmfao. And AFAIK, freedom of speech still exist in the US, especially the internet ;)

Well, if you clicked the link for the iOS tweak, you could read what I mean, instead of me posting a lot of information for one person, it's a very complex application, but it was mainly made for creating easy tweaks on the iPhone.

Heisenberg

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 29, 2011
Knocking on your door
OnePlus 9 Pro
Thank you for the reply.
IMO, it wouldn't defeat the purpose of the lockscreen, at all. Especially if you could chose which apps that were floatable on the lockscreen.

As for asking which ROM, that was mainly to hear other people's opinion, no offense intended, so no need to be insanely cocky, lmfao. And AFAIK, freedom of speech still exist in the US, especially the internet ;)

Well, if you clicked the link for the iOS tweak, you could read what I mean, instead of me posting a lot of information for one person, it's a very complex application, but it was mainly made for creating easy tweaks on the iPhone.

If you'd like, I could ask a moderator to explain to you why asking for ROM suggestions isn't allowed. There was nothing cocky about what I said, just informing you of something that's pretty common knowledge on XDA.

Freedom of speech does exist in the US. But, this is a privately owned and international forum which has rules that you must abide by (and agreed to when signing up for this site).

@Naddict, could you kindly explain the situation with asking for ROM suggestions please? I've seen you explain it quite well numerous times before.

Transmitted via Bacon

Last edited:

zephiK

Inactive Recognized Developer
Aug 23, 2009
New York, NY
If you'd like, I could ask a moderator to explain to you why asking for ROM suggestions isn't allowed. There was nothing cocky about what I said, just informing you of something that's pretty common knowledge on XDA.

Freedom of speech does exist in the US. But, this is a privately owned and international form which has rules that you must abide by (and agreed to when signing up for this site).

@Naddict, could you kindly explain the situation with asking for ROM suggestions please? I've seen you explain it quite well numerous times before.

Transmitted via Bacon

I'm not Naddict but I see Naddict closing threads with this message,

XDA is a development site not a support site. As the term "Best" or "Most Stable" is a very subjective term, such members are expected to do their own research, read through the development threads, and decide what is "Best/Most Stable" for them.

The only results that would be posted here are what each member has found to be "Best" or "Most Stable" for them by experimentation based on their phone/usage/setup/apps/signal strength. And at times, these thread spiral into arguments over which is perceived "Best/Most Stable".

Please take the time to read through the development threads, and interact with the members there, to learn all about the software you are about to drastically alter your very expensive device with.

Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your cooperation.
http://xdaforums.com/oneplus-one/help/whats-best-rom-battery-life-t2835283

opoBear

Aug 23, 2014
Even though I really didn't care why it's not "allowed" to discuss which ROM is "better", I thank you for the informative post.
I do get why, and therefore there was no need for a moderator to explain anything, but it just shows how uptight you are. Hope you have a GF to get all that seriousness out of you.

Good day, sir.

playya

Jan 12, 2007
Florida
Thank you for the reply.

I think xposed is what you're looking for which may closely resemble Flex. Although you will have to find a module to co-exist with it to suit your needs. As far as a best rom and other stuff the above guys are right though I see a lot of subjective questions asked. I will say this much though.

Take a look at the 5 star roms first and read the OP to see if any of the customizations are what you are looking for. They all have there pros and cons its just that the for some the pros are the cons and vice versa.

Happy Hunting

opoBear

Aug 23, 2014
Asking which ROM is best/most stable/fastest/prettiest, or asking for a suggestion isn't allowed so nobody can answer that, here's why. To say one ROM is better is to infer that the others are inferior in some way. This is disrespectful to the devs who spend their spare time bringing us these awesome ROMs free of charge. Each user has different tastes anyway, the best way to see which ROM suits you is to flash a few and find out for yourself.
Transmitted via Bacon

Oh, the IRONY!! Hahahahaha
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aiRYeARJVc

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Freedom of speech does exist in the US. But, this is a privately owned and international form which has rules that you must abide by (and agreed to when signing up for this site).

Transmitted via Bacon

I'm not Naddict but I see Naddict closing threads with this message,

XDA is a development site not a support site. As the term "Best" or "Most Stable" is a very subjective term, such members are expected to do their own research, read through the development threads, and decide what is "Best/Most Stable" for them.

The only results that would be posted here are what each member has found to be "Best" or "Most Stable" for them by experimentation based on their phone/usage/setup/apps/signal strength. And at times, these thread spiral into arguments over which is perceived "Best/Most Stable".

Please take the time to read through the development threads, and interact with the members there, to learn all about the software you are about to drastically alter your very expensive device with.

Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your cooperation.
    http://xdaforums.com/oneplus-one/help/whats-best-rom-battery-life-t2835283
    Yuuuuuuppppp! Thanks!
    I would greatly appreciate any suggestions to a simple, yet functional rom for the OnePlus one though.

1. No, and no. That would completely defeat the purpose of the lockscreen. If you want that kind of functionality you can disable your lockscreen.

[*]Is there any app like the Cydia app "Flex"? This is an app that can tweak other apps, by kind of "patching" them on-the-go. I know there is something called "Lucky Patcher", but this is used for piracy, afaik, and I'm not a huge fan of piracy, so this is not an option. (plus, they generally contain a lot of malware/bloatware/adware)

Cheers,
    - opoBear

What exactly do you mean by 'patching' other apps? That isn't very specific.

Transmitted via Bacon
    Thank you for the reply.

Freedom of speech does exist in the US. But, this is a privately owned and international forum which has rules that you must abide by (and agreed to when signing up for this site).

Transmitted via Bacon
    Thank you for the reply.

I think xposed is what you're looking for which may closely resemble Flex. Although you will have to find a module to co-exist with it to suit your needs. As far as a best rom and other stuff the above guys are right though I see a lot of subjective questions asked. I will say this much though.

Take a look at the 5 star roms first and read the OP to see if any of the customizations are what you are looking for. They all have there pros and cons its just that the for some the pros are the cons and vice versa.

Happy Hunting