[1/28] UPDATE! Custom Cooked Rom Remix Compilation (Lighter Versions)

Closed...

• Enough Data

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Enough Data

Votes: 24 100.0%

• Total voters
Search This thread

hskeik

Oct 15, 2006
Gaza-Palestine
dear GSLEON3
can you mix the valky's ROM with Energy? Valky's ROM (as stable one), and energy's shape (graphics) please ?
another question, which kitchen you use?

thierry2064

Jun 26, 2009
Bordeaux
GSLEON3, thanks for this thread, I apreciate what you do here. I also would not have asked, because I do not ask when I am not able to take "no" as an answer. In this case I inform, which was done more than appropriately in the first post of this thread. However those who are angry are legitimatley so in their thinking, and I thank them also for their work.
However at the launch of this thread I was eager to try the lite versions, but when I saw that it was provided with Manila 2.5, I wondered if the Rhodium processor is fast enough for this. I had a Palm TX before, and everything was instantaneous (or sometimes made instantaneous by 1src developpers). OK it was not multitasking, but some of us prefer fast mono-tasking to slow multitasking... E.g. I do not understand why, on the rhodium, when I change the keyboard from alpha to numeric, it takes half a second...
After trying a lot of ROM, I have now reverted to the WM 6.1 stock Rom with SPB Mobile Shell to have something fast and configurable. Do you think a lite version of WM 6.5, M 2.5 will be as fast ? About the nice icons of e.g. Energy Rom, doesn't it make our machines slower ? Overall, can someone tell me what we will gain from WM 6.5.X and M 2.5 on the Rhodium which we do not have with WM 6.5 or even 6.1 and M 2.1 (besides the esthetics which is not the priority for me) ? New functionalities ? I will try this if I get some positive answers...

Last edited:

GSLEON3

Retired Senior Moderator
I am going to do some serious house cleaning here. I don't want "THIS CHEF" one line posts.

I got it on the popular roms, that's enough. That will give me a style idea to work with.

I obviously will have to try and do multiple versions; 6.1, 6.5 OEM, & 6.5.x

I am gonna keep it to one theme & one ring tone & a handful of alerts/alarms so that there is no wasted space. Initially It will be WWE only as well. I will try to then integrate language packs.

WHAT I REALLY NEED NOW:
Suggestions as to the packages you think should be included.
Sips most used.
Text messaging style most used.
Manila, which version, Sense?
The types of BASE packages that you'd like to see cleaned up, lightened & optimized for both size &/or speed.

I really don't need any more direct references to chef's, just specific packages & basic necesities in a semi-lite rom. By semi-lite I mean that there are a few things like Live I intend to cook in for messenger, or should thaty be left as cab too?

Give me some meat to work with.

nxoxe

Nov 3, 2009
hi:

most be manila 2.5 best look but compressed
winmo6.5.x

the rest keep it simple!

who can make manila fullscreen without maxmanila???
thanks.

GSLEON3

Retired Senior Moderator
I stated before I have asked NRG to help out or work with him in the past without really ever getting any answer. Sure, maybe I should have PM'd him first, but my thinking was that none of us PM HTC or MS asking anything & that anything in the rom the NRG liked, he was free to take & use, like the action screen. Nontheless, I probably should have at least extended the courtessy to him. For all of you that just like to stir up trouble, I have PM'd NRG, I plan on remixing a few more roms soon & will make the same statement to all of you that I did to NRG:

NRG, I definitely am not trying to take credit for any of your work. I know I have PM'd you before asking to work with you on a lite rom. I also many moons ago keyed some, including you I believe, about cooking certain packages into XIP. I have even asked you if you'd like the remixed HTC Action Screen .brn files that match your rom theme, & I posted a pic in your 6.5.5 thread.

I don't intend to remix every rom you cook. I only intended to get an idea about what is out there, why people like it & how or if I can optimize it & then share that information.

I don't ask for any donations & encourage everyone to donate to the original chef or to XDA. I don't intend to learn anything about cooking through dumping & remixing your rom, except maybe what types of compression work best with different libraries and/or executables. In fact I have been cooking rom for years, but because of the lazyness in attitude of the site I have never been much for publicly publishing. There are a few people I would share my roms with, such as ATW or P1Tater or The General aka Ramon. I never had the time to properly support a rom, so I'd only cook it for those sharp enough to find errors & make or suggest corrections for themselves.

The only reason I chose your rom, is because I personally enjoy the style. It has a certain "elegance in simplicity to it", that's it period. How it downward spiraled into what the thread became is because my HD crashed after uping to 7 & I did not have a recent image to restore so I was down for several days. Left me without being able to really control anything & was unfortunate.

On another note, I have twited you about certain graphics, fixed the 3-row cab error for one of your first Rhodium roms, & have tried to support you where I can including asking if you'd like the remixed .brn files for a matching HTC Action Screen in bot twit & your 6.5.5 thread.

Honestly, the fact that I used your rom first was meant as a tribute, not an attack or slam. I merely wanted to provide an already excelent with different types & combinations of compression & also to see what packages & basic styles people like & what people thought should be stripped for add on as a cab or package for later use in a noobie style kitchen.

True, I understand more about the OEMSBL, Radio, Bootloader, base firmware than I do about the OAL & the frontend parts of OS, but I am not trying to learn to cook. I can read & understand the principles behind most anything as I have been following XDA since before my first BlueAngel & personalizing my own roms since then as well. I know about ULDR removal & the consequences, future upgrade packages being unable to uncompress &/or load without ULDR section. The point is, I am not some idiot trying to steal your work. My intention is to take the best of the best, remove what is not essential. Pracitce different techniques of compression, re-writting of code or other optimization & then sharing this info with all that are interested by creating packages that are new, lean, & most importantly optimized for use with the hardware of the RHODIUM & it's driver packages.

Yes, I may also occasionally rework a rom by removing some info in the hives, modify graphics, or compress or write small changes, but in no way do I intend to compete with any particular chef. I just want to promote learning & users taking control of fixing there own issues & contributing back to the community. As you know, chef's threads are full of dumb questions, slam & critiques. Most chef's & mod's hate this. I do too sometimes, but I love criticism when it also includes a solution or a good idea. That's what I want, what we all would like I think.

I'll tell you what. In the future, I will tell the chef ahead of time what if I plan on doing a re-mix & I will ask you, or whomever, for their HTML code for their DONATE button, so that any donations, which I do plainly discourage in my thread, unquestionably go to the person that has put the time in.
How's that sound?

Now bear with me as I get back to rebuilding the tools I use to compress, build, modify & yes even repackage. You can repackage allinone roms. It is not easy, but you can do it if you read around a bit & understand some of bepes new tools & what they can really do, own wince cab manager & have a lot of time & paitience. That is NOT what this thread is about. It's about providing a few lighter versions of certain roms temporarily (not every version) & finding out what new features are worth adding & what is better lef to devices they were designed for, or left available for addin via cab per an individuals own prefference.

I'll tell you right now, my CFC remix (most CFC are pad only currently) has a bigger memory leak than the NRG original.

I will be writting ARK_666 next to let him know, & I will also ask him if he wants to play together on one more officially. I have been trusted with full kitchens from dutty & others in the past. They did this because they trust me not to blatantly claim their work as my own. I dare you to find one example of me posting any package from any kitchen ever entrusted to me.

GSLEON3

Retired Senior Moderator
GSLEON3, thanks for this thread, I apreciate what you do here. I also would not have asked, because I do not ask when I am not able to take "no" as an answer. In this case I inform, which was done more than appropriately in the first post of this thread. However those who are angry are legitimatley so in their thinking, and I thank them also for their work.
However at the launch of this thread I was eager to try the lite versions, but when I saw that it was provided with Manila 2.5, I wondered if the Rhodium processor is fast enough for this. I had a Palm TX before, and everything was instantaneous (or sometimes made instantaneous by 1src developpers). OK it was not multitasking, but some of us prefer fast mono-tasking to slow multitasking... E.g. I do not understand why, on the rhodium, when I change the keyboard from alpha to numeric, it takes half a second...
After trying a lot of ROM, I have now reverted to the WM 6.1 stock Rom with SPB Mobile Shell to have something fast and configurable. Do you think a lite version of WM 6.5, M 2.5 will be as fast ? About the nice icons of e.g. Energy Rom, doesn't it make our machines slower ? Overall, can someone tell me what we will gain from WM 6.5.X and M 2.5 on the Rhodium which we do not have with WM 6.5 or even 6.1 and M 2.1 (besides the esthetics which is not the priority for me) ? New functionalities ? I will try this if I get some positive answers...

It is MOSTLY asthetics. There are a few new tabs & if you use social network it is pretty neat. Other than that...Not much new. Really I want to do a truly lite rom with only Manilla or only Chome. Not both when most of us use only one or the other.

Personally I'd most like to see a working Xperia camera on our devices over manilla 2.5+. Yes, you can get it to launch, but you can not get it to take a pic , no snap. However, it really makes a difference. There is virtually no lag or tracers when you move the camera around. Maybe an idea for a future package to work on????

thierry2064

Jun 26, 2009
Bordeaux
Gsleon, as you tweak Action Screen, is there a reason for it to hide the status bar at start? It would be useful to see it always, e.g. when you are in opera mini (hiding stats bar), want to make sure you use wifi instead of 3G and otherwise switch to wifi...
Edit: You have Slide to shutdown in this light Energy Rom instead of Action Screen on long power press :confused:
Edit2: The combination of WM 6.1 stock Rom + SPB Mobile Shell is not a good one (memory leakage apparently), I am testing Energy light Rom since yesterday, looks good. I do not see what is missing, but I could do without Slide to Shutdown, Games, widgets, windows live, Facebook, Twitter...

Last edited:

wn0x

May 23, 2007
Clean, Lite & Fast - Thanks

GSLEON3,

Really like the rom because it is clean lite and fast. I am a business user so need a reliable build that allows me to access features quickly. I prefer the later versions of Manila because of the more readable e-mail wallpaper, on-screen access to applications and landscape support.

From a style perspective I need a clean, professional look - no distractions or advertisements - preferably with no graphics, just a black screen. I do like the color icons with later versions of Manila.

I usually ony receive texts, so the wallpaper Manila version that allows me to scroll quickly and "reply to" is fine.

As a AT&T Tilt2 user, the only feature I miss is MS Voice Command which is standard on the Tilt2, and a way to map the PTT button and Phone button (Press and Hold) to activate MVC.

I would like to cook myself, but currently volunteer many hundreds of hours writing software for public safety, so don't have the time.

Thanks for making my Tilt2 a usable device. While the rest of the HAZMAT team is fiddling with there i-phones I am getting work done. :)

wn0x

atomixpaintball

Nov 15, 2007
Automotive Capital
I agree with the above poster. I flashed this cleaned up ROM last night and I really like it.

My only suggestions would be to add the LEO 2G Dialer, preskinned to match the rest of the ROM.

I also would like to see a more business looking ROM with the default white taskbar icon set, and a simple black/white theme.

Other than that, I like what youve done.

thierry2064

Jun 26, 2009
Bordeaux
I had two issues with this lite Energy Rom :
1. the ring stopped working after some calls. I have read in the Energy thread that you can fix it definitely by making the phone ring before Sense loads, seems to work.
2. "My location" does not work (3g, wifi). Not a big issue to me.
Apart from above no problem at all, much better than the combination WM 6.1 stock and Mobile Shell which was very buggy on my phone.

I guess you have read that some chefs are now using a faster verion of Sense (2.5.2011). Would be good to get it on a light version...

Last edited:

thierry2064

Jun 26, 2009
Bordeaux
Bad news : Phone stopped ringing again. It does not even vibrate, while volume is at max. Solved after a reset, but this is the worst bug I ever had, missing all calls this afternoon...

Last edited:

thierry2064

Jun 26, 2009
Bordeaux
Gsleon, as you tweak Action Screen, is there a reason for it to hide the status bar at start? It would be useful to see it always, e.g. when you are in opera mini (hiding stats bar), want to make sure you use wifi instead of 3G and otherwise switch to wifi...
I finally adapted a HD 18 buttons version, which gives the status of wifi & bluetooth, here.

Last edited: