[HOW TO] [TUTORIAL] S3 Replace Cracked Glass Screen

Search This thread

scooter247

Jun 26, 2009
I used a kids medicine syringe to apply to about 80% of the screen and then put the new glass on and pushed the remainder of the bubbles out. I did end up with small bubbles but that's why I add the tip to let the solution sit for 4 hours to thicken up.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda premium

Reactions: Jason Roach

scooter247

Jun 26, 2009

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1368243777623.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1368243777623.jpg
    237.6 KB · Views: 325
  • uploadfromtaptalk1368243806101.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1368243806101.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 340

Jason Roach

Oct 18, 2011
I used a kids medicine syringe to apply to about 80% of the screen and then put the new glass on and pushed the remainder of the bubbles out. I did end up with small bubbles but that's why I add the tip to let the solution sit for 4 hours to thicken up.

I keep mine real hot while I switched the screen and I ended up with small bubble but they have compleatly disappeared after a few weeks. But I'm interested in what you have done and might try this on next one I do. How long ago did you do your screen? Could you possibly post some pics where you can see the bubbles? Do you think after letting it sit 4 hours maybe using a little heat before setting the new glass in place?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda premium

scooter247

Jun 26, 2009
Like I said I went right in to putting the silicone on and when it is first mixed it is a full liquid that's why I say ti let it cure for 4 hours before applying to the phone. I did this over a month so no the bubbles will not go away. This mixture cure at room temp in 48 hours or in an hour at 212 degrees. It's possible that doing a semi cure for 30 minutes then checking for bubbles and trying to remove any then finish the cure for another 30-45 minute could be possible.

Also my bubbles came from mixing to quickly and not letting the mixture sit and let the finite bubbles dissipate.

This is not a tape style so once again a full dismantle of the phone to just screen and metal housing is recommended because this is a liquid when applied and will go everywhere. You will need to clean any excess silicone the may have come out of small holes where the motherboard goes.

Jason Roach

Oct 18, 2011
That would look perfect without the bubbles but you can't really tell with screen on. What do you think the chances of trying to redo it. Not saying you should but really wondering about the product and what it sets up like and do you think you could redo it?

---------- Post added at 12:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:05 AM ----------

Were posting at the same time lol ugh sorry

scooter247

Jun 26, 2009
Yes I plan on redoing it but I am not sure if my glass will come off in one piece so I am waiting to do it on my vacation in two weeks when I have the time to really do it right. When I did this one I did right after getting home from a 12 hour work day and did not do what I should have done.

Jason Roach

Oct 18, 2011
Yes I plan on redoing it but I am not sure if my glass will come off in one piece so I am waiting to do it on my vacation in two weeks when I have the time to really do it right. When I did this one I did right after getting home from a 12 hour work day and did not do what I should have done.

Thanks for your insite on your experience. Maybe you could video it while your trying the next time. You would be helping a ton of people with crappy screens lol. I think I'm gonna go ahead and order from your amazon link you posted earlier because I do plan on doing this on another phone later.

jabz

Mar 1, 2007
So I tried to replace the glass on a Blue S3 but it looks like part of the digitiser was nicked and it got pulled up a little. I did check the phone was at 187° while doing this with a plastic card. Bad luck I guess.
See pic, that triangle piece is part of the digitizer right?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368534417.783805.jpg

I was successful with a mates white S3 glass replacement.
Odd thing with this blue one was the glass was coming off the laminate at first, had to heat up more then even the black adhesive started to come up on the top.

So are the digitizers available separately? Any links? Or front glass with digitizer and not lcd?

So far I can only see listings for front glass or front glass digitizer which is really only the glass as their pic shows I think they are using the wrong terminology.
Or I only see full LCD+ digitizer and glass with or without frame.

XeoNoX

Oct 25, 2010
So I tried to replace the glass on a Blue S3 but it looks like part of the digitiser was nicked and it got pulled up a little. I did check the phone was at 187° while doing this with a plastic card. Bad luck I guess.
See pic, that triangle piece is part of the digitizer right?

View attachment 1961213

I was successful with a mates white S3 glass replacement.
Odd thing with this blue one was the glass was coming off the laminate at first, had to heat up more then even the black adhesive started to come up on the top.

So are the digitizers available separately? Any links? Or front glass with digitizer and not lcd?

So far I can only see listings for front glass or front glass digitizer which is really only the glass as their pic shows I think they are using the wrong terminology.
Or I only see full LCD+ digitizer and glass with or without frame.

wow that sux, digitizers are expensive, and considering the s4 is out the price of the s3 is down so u should weigh the cost of a digitizer with the cost of a used s3 phone.

gustavotpd

May 9, 2013
Glue between broken glass and digitalizer

wow that sux, digitizers are expensive, and considering the s4 is out the price of the s3 is down so u should weigh the cost of a digitizer with the cost of a used s3 phone.

Thanks so Much XeoNox, I remove successfully my broken glass. I would like to clarify one doubt. between the broken glass and Digitizer had a kind of glue that came out when I removed the broken glass, is this normal? Thanks in advance.

XeoNoX

Oct 25, 2010
Thanks so Much XeoNox, I remove successfully my broken glass. I would like to clarify one doubt. between the broken glass and Digitizer had a kind of glue that came out when I removed the broken glass, is this normal? Thanks in advance.

yes thats normal, and u should have cleaned it up pretty well, some people buy new glue and put it back on, some just recycle the old glue and use it on the outter edges to hold the glass, some claim the glue gives better "coloring/antiglare" ...its debatable, personally i just recycle the old glue and used it on the outer edge...but as long as u are happy with your results thats what counts.

Jason Roach

Oct 18, 2011

Have you taken the plunge to redo your glass yet?

scooter247

Jun 26, 2009

Jason Roach

Oct 18, 2011
Not yet my vacation starts on monday. I will start then.

Well my friend found a sprint s3 on the side of the road while riding bikes with his kids and we put a battery in it and it works just fine but with a cracked screen, I'm gonna give it a trial run on that phone for practice and if it works he's gonna give it to the kids to play games on lol. I don't know if I can do a video or not but maybe some pics and a write up.

scooter247

Jun 26, 2009
Well my friend found a sprint s3 on the side of the road while riding bikes with his kids and we put a battery in it and it works just fine but with a cracked screen, I'm gonna give it a trial run on that phone for practice and if it works he's gonna give it to the kids to play games on lol. I don't know if I can do a video or not but maybe some pics and a write up.

Take a pice of just the new screen on with no silicone under the screen and then one with to show everyone the difference.

TECHNOON

May 26, 2013
S3 front glass replacement

I've a question about that replacement. I did that but originally there was a transparent gel between ldc and front glass. I've removed it and now when I push a screen harder it looks like a new glass touch a lcd and stick to it for a while and it doesn't look good:( did I do something wrong? or it is like that after glass replacement? CAN I DO ANYTHING WITH IT?

Attachments

• P1210888.jpg
    P1210888.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 217

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    First of all i take no credit for this discovery or process. If anyone wants credit for this information just MSG me with a reference and i will be more than happy to add you. However i looked around and the information was all scattered so i figured i'de add it all in one easy to follow post. Most of the info i found was thru youtube and a couple of my own added ideas.

This is a how to remove , separate , and replace a cracked
    S3 screen from the digitizer by melting/softening the adhesive glue
    (in other words it is how to replace JUST THE GLASS)

Many people out there still say that the S3 's glass can not be separated from the digitizer and that the digitizer and glass but be bought "fused" together from OEM..this is not true. It can indeed be separated using the the process below and it will work just fine and be just as responsive as when you first bought the phone. Video Proof below.

PLEASE SEE THESE VIDEOS For screen removal from digitizer and Use as reference

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eneLvVe7DwE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZuiCsAtThw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJXXKOl7Nu8

The screen/glass part u are replacing looks like this
    (i know it doesn't look like it is glass but trust me it is glass, it is about as thin as 5 sheets of paper):

CVA6W.jpg

sICFr.jpg

video thanks to: marcustaz

This is how i replaced my screen and tools needed:

***Lots of Patience and carefulness *** (about 30 mins if u done before...about 60-90 mins if its your 1st time)

*** wear PROTECTIVE GOGGLES - EYE GLASSES (yes there is a HIGH POSSIBILITY that small glass shards may fly and glass in the eye is not fun)***

1) replacement screen - with no digitizer (exact pictures of what u need to buy are the pictures above..just match your color) ($25 USD aprox on Amazon - Cheaper on Ebay $18 USD) (The same screen fits all models just match the color...Samsung Galaxy S3 III T-mobile SGH-T999 / AT&T SGH-i747 / Verizon SCH-i535 / Sprint SPH-L710 / US Cellular SCH-R530 / GT-i9300)

2) exacto knife ($5 USD aprox)

3) heat gun ($20(harborfreight) for a cheapy....or $40 (homedepot) for a good one with adjustable heat)
    ***** HEAT IS CRITICAL, most people faill because they did not heat up the glass enough ( MUST BE around 180F)****

4) empty cereal box or cardboard calendar (or something similar that is comparable in sturdiness yet is "not too solid")

5) 90% rubbing alcohol ( $3.. make "damp" on a microfiber cloth or cotton ball (cotton-ball kinda makes a mess) removes any excess glue stuck to the digitizer)

6) microfiber cloth (available from .99 cent stores or dollar stores)

7) tweezers (.99 cent store ...or your moms/girlfriends/wife's beauty box..LoL)

OPTIONAL TOOLS BUT HELPS ALOT

*** an extra hand or two (1 or 2 more people helping is a big help)

*** laser thermometer (to make sure u do not overheat the phone, try to stay under 200F degrees with an average of about 180F degrees, slightly going over 200 does not hurt but i do not recommend)

*** thick leather gloves/welding gloves (prevents your hands from getting burned while someone else is heating the phone and maintaining the temp u can be easily removing the screen...at 180 degrees the glue and glass separate from the digitizer like BUTTER and the gloves protect you from getting burned by the heatgun!!!)

***Magnifying glass (to be able to make sure the glass fragments are completely removed from the digitizer so the new screen will sit flush)

*** thin latex/rubber gloves (when putting on the screen so there are no finger prints)

*** duck tape (hold glass together so it doesn't "fall apart" while removing)

Instructions on how i did it below:

Remove the battery , sim card, micro sdcard. Apply ductape or some kinda of good heat resistant tape to the top of the glass screen so the broken glass stays intact when removing. Put on your safety glasses/eye protection (believe me i highly recommend this regardless of how dorky you may look, if glass from the phone goes in your eye ...well you have been warned). Grab the exacto bladed and lightly apply pressure with it between the glass and the outer grey plastic trim and then outline the entire outer edge of the glass. Put on some heat resistant gloves (gloves that u wont feel the burn) Heat up your heatgun and heat the phones screen to around 180 Degrees Fahrenheit ...you can know the temp by using a laser thermometer (try not to go over 200 degrees). NOTE: U must remove the glass when its at around this temp, failure to do so will make it hard to remove the glass from the digitizer. Try to heat the entire phone evenly by using a "circular" or "side to side" type of motion when applying the heat. Find the outer edge of the glass and find a place in the corner to begin the removal. I recommend beginning on the top left side of the phone (where the S in SAMSUNG side of the corner) is at. Once the phone is heated to approx 180 degrees you can begin to lift the glass. (i do not recommend lifting in the middle of the screen or any "black part" of the screen as you can risk damaging the digitizer, the outer edge (where it is white/blue) is the safest spot to begin separation.) If you don't have access to a laser thermometer then you can risk it and just take your time till you notice the glass begins to "lift/separate" . Once you have a decent amount of the glass lifted (just enough to put the cardboard in) you can shove a piece of the cereal box inside and begin to use the cereal box to lift the rest of the glass. Continue this processes till the glass is all lifted and removed. When you start approaching the bottom of the phone where the button is at BE CAREFUL...try to go around the bottom and you will also notice 2 " touch ribbon light sensors"(look at the attachment pictures BELOW i labeled the light/ribbon sensor). They can removed from the glass using the heat gun and the exacto knife...it should lift right up and separate from the glass. Once u separate the ribbon your should be all done removing or close to done removing the glass from the digitizer. If by this point you haven't already removed the glass continue to remove till all the major pieces of glass is removed. Once the major pieces of glass are removed you can now put on some latex gloves and Remove the excess glass on the corners using the exacto knife and the tweezers. Carefully remove the small pieces of glass on the digitizer using a 90% alcohol LIGHTLY DAMPENED microfiber cloth. DO NOT APPLY HEAVY PRESSURE TO THE DIGITIZER when tiny glass is still on there (instead just kind of gently sweep it...using a new paint brush might even help) when removing the small glass fragment, NOTE that if you do apply too much pressure to the digitizer u risk the glass shards scratching or denting the digitizer!!! Once the glass is all removed and shards are gone you can now clean any fingerprints lint dust or oils using a dry microfiber cloth by gently applying LIGHT/SOFT pressure. Leave the glue on the outside edges of the phone and the bottom and top of the phone...just make sure the digitizer is spotless. Once everything is clean and the digitizer is spotless you can now install the screen. start from the bottom of the phone and proceed to put on the screen, make sure the "push" button is lined up and the line up the "light-sensor-ribbons buttons". the sensor ribbon buttons should just stick to the glass and line up with the screen part. Once the button is lined up you can now line up the rest of the screen and gently push down. The screen should be stuck into place by the existing glue on the outer edges. While holding the screen in place carefully put the battery in and turn on the device and make sure the buttons and screen and everything works properly and make sure the "lights" on the menu buttons work. Once you verify everything works and looks beautiful you can take the battery out one last time. Using the heatgun reheat the screen to melt the adhesive glue to the screen. Once the screen is heated back up to 180 degrees gently push on the glass and press for about 10 seconds and make sure to press in the outter edges of the glass where u left the glue. Let the phone cool off and you are good to go. Have fun using your S3!! This sounds fairly long and hard, but its not as hard as it sounds..its actually fairly easy and should take the average person about 50-70 mins first time. Experienced person about 20-40 mins.

i figure with the videos above you should be able to figure it out. Ill probably be adding more detailed info if this thread becomes popular. Good luck guys/gals

FAQS
    Q1) How do i know if its just my glass screen and not the phone itself that's not working?
    You will know if your phone screen lens cracked, but LCD display works. In other words you will know that its just the glass that's broken if your phone currently works perfectly fine and the touch screen works fine BUT the only thing wrong with the phone is the screen being physically cracked/scratched. If this is your case then the instructions above will work on replacing the glass.

keywords: s3 sIII slll fix fixed shattered break broke crack cracked cracks fuse fused unfuse remove removal repair guide video videos tutorial how-to how to fix it diy dropped drop break broken broke gorilla glass white marble t999 i747 i535 l710 r530 i9300 instruction
    Gentlemen and OP please update your original post to include this video. This is NOT to promote myself but from all the comments and feedback everyone has stated it is the most detailed and informative on You Tube on the glass replacement procedure. I also have separate videos on shattered glass replacement. Thanks and good luck.

Build up the entire border with 2mm tape a bit more. At the bottom especially on top of the ribbon cable there is a protective clear cover and in my experience if that comes off during the original loca removal the glass can sit to low and contact the digitizer. Not tooting my own horn here, watch my videos of glass repair part 2 I believe and watch how I make the rectangle border of 2 mm tape. Hope that helps.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda premium
    Well... I am unable to find anyone locally willing to help and am nervous as all hell about attempting this. Anyone done this first attempt not messing it up? Also my screen looks like a spiderweb its so banged up. Will this affect how the screen pulls off of the digitizer? Thanks. :( hopefully I manage!

Sent from my SGH-T999V using Tapatalk 2

My sisters screen was the worst I have ever seen. It was so shattered it was missing litle pieces if glss. I did it on my first attemp with no problems. It really is easier than it looks. Just be patient and make shure you are getting the addhesive hot enough (without melting your phone) and the screen will come right off.....with the help of a razor blade....Once Ihad finished I was shocked on how easy it really was....

---------- Post added at 08:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:20 PM ----------

My sisters screen was the worst I have ever seen. It was so shattered it was missing litle pieces if glss. I did it on my first attemp with no problems. It really is easier than it looks. Just be patient and make shure you are getting the addhesive hot enough (without melting your phone) and the screen will come right off.....with the help of a razor blade....Once Ihad finished I was shocked on how easy it really was....

My auto correct has failed me....lol
    Tried this and it works haven't noticed any issue with my screen response. $100 for gs3 with cracked screen $14 replacement glass $24 on heat gun which I'll return lol $1 on alcohol $4 on towels can't beat that

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda app-developers app